• This topic has 57 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Johnny Depp
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Has he actually done any good films? He’s seen as a huge actor, revered by millions, but he’s mostly done poor to average films that have been marketed really well.

Anyone else have a similar meh feeling with him?

bearnecessities

Thought he was dead then for a minute.

Klunk
    Free Member

Ed Wood

willard

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. He was good in that.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Fear and Lothing has dated really badly.

mattyfez

He was good in blow, the libertine, whats eating gilbert grape, Platoon too.

chip
    Free Member

Don’t remember in them but was in both a nightmare on elm street and platoon.
    But looking at his filmography it is a little disappointing.

kayla1
    Free Member

Donnie Brasco was good.

iolo
    Free Member

Whats eating Gilbert Grape, Edward scissor hands

DaRC_L

Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon so as mattyfez says he didn’t just turn up as a huge actor.
    Which make me wonder how old you are Jonny 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really enjoy his films especially Jack Sparrow stuff + Donnie Brasco + Blow + Black Mass and a few others. He does weird very well AFAICT.

km79
    Free Member

Blow
    Donnie Brasco
    Fear and Loathing

and some smaller low budget films he done were decent as well.

Done better than a lot.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Seen all of those films Darc L, didn’t realise you had to be a certain age to like old fims though. I’m 34 and probably my favourite film (this changes) is from 1957.

SaxonRider

Edward Scissorhands and What’s Eating Gilbert Grape are excellent.

DougD

Rango

mattyfez

Apparently he spent months living on Hunter S thompsons sofa to get into character for fear and loathing..

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

In the words of Paul Calf ‘Who’s eaten Gilberts Grape?’ ‘It’s only a grape, give him another one’

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://vine.co/v/OFF9H1PZBpV[/video]

Drac

Yes lots.

northerntom
    Free Member

Always been a fan of blow, once upon a time in Mexico, and actually liked sleepy hollow as well. Regardless of the films themselves, he is very good as captain jack, just maybe a few too many of the films made…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I do sometimes wonder why he’s got the profile he’s got, the last real ‘hit’ film he made was Rango, but that’s animated, Mortdeci, Dark Shadows and Lone Ranger all had terrible reviews and lost money – Mortdeci has just turned up on Netflix suspiciously soon after release which is never a good sign.

He’s made some good films (to my taste anyway):

The Original Pirates film.
    Public Enemies.
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    Once upon a time in Mexico.
    Blow.
    Donnie Brasco

Black Mass looks good, I’m looking forward to that, both another Pirates film, sod that.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Black Mass just got pretty mixed reviews at best on Kermode on 5 Live.

shermer75
    Free Member

I actually really like the goofy idiot performance that he usually turns in but he has done two genuinely moving and interesting performances:

Donnie Brasco
    Dead man

SaxonRider

I forgot about Sleepy Hollow. Another good one. Depp was simply made for Burton films.

stumpy01

Brilliant in Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands and Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, even if they weren’t very good films (apart from the first one)….

sunnydaze310
    Free Member

If I was to ever have a mancrush, it’d be on him… How dare you suggest he’s been in poor movies….. 👿

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Nineth Gate is another worthwhile watch. I remember seeing Benny & Joon at the cinema and was crying with laughter!

bikebouy
    Free Member

IMO he’s cool, done some great stuff… I do however tire quickly of the Jack Sparrow imitations nowadays.

Agree he’s born for Tim Burton films..

One thing I really hate though…

He appears in a rather shite advert ATM for Channel.. Proper Xmas pointless profiteering, I mean him appearing in the advert. It’s really rather mediocre at best. (The one where he buries some jewellery in a shallow pit, in the desert, having gotten there in a 70’s muscle car)

jonjones262
    Free Member

21 jump street

gobuchul
    Free Member

The Fast Show.

Harry_the_Spider

Platoon.

razorrazoo

I’m not sure you can really count his performance in Platoon. IIRC he gets shot dead in the first firefight.

One thing I really hate though…

He appears in a rather shite advert ATM for Channel

That ad really is awful, he’s got an expensive lifestyle though.

I’ve got a friend who’s worked with him for years on his UK shot films, he sounds a generally nice guy, though very much keeps to his own clique (which, at least at one point, involved a lot of drinking with Keith Richards).

kayak23

vinnyeh

I’ve always wondered whether Jack Sparrow really was based on Keith Richards, or whether that was a slight retrospective rewrite of history.

deserter
    Free Member

I enjoyed secret window when it came out

IdleJon

V8_shin_print – Member
    Nineth Gate is another worthwhile watch

It’s really not. (A friend of mine had a rant to me about the film a while after I had seen it. He’d been interrupted partway though, so a few days later he sat down to watch it again, through from the beginning. And found that he’d been interrupted with a minute or two left, and that, yes, nothing actually happens, it’s a really poor,boring ending and he had just wasted several hours of his life. 🙂 )

sofaboy73
    Free Member

fear & loathing – he was big mates with hunter s thompson and you kind of get a real feeling of the man from the film – possibly more so than the book

also delightfully weird and creepy in charlie and the chocolate factory

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Not many bad Depp films to pick from.

He was briefly in Nightmare on Elm Street (pretty good death in that)

oh, wait, Transcendence was pretty bad

iolo
    Free Member

The Tourist was bloody awful

jimjam
    Free Member

Someone else is bound to have mentioned it, but Dead Man is excellent. Donnie Brasco was great too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Johnny Depp’ is closed to new replies.