Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • First step to being a German….
  • alpin
    Free Member

Back in November I went to the office and registered that I want to apply for German citizenship.

Part of the process is two exams, citizenship test and language. The earliest appointments I could get was two months away, and nothing local.

Tomorrow is the first part. The Einbürgerungstest, or citizenship test.

33 questions from a pool of over 350. Made up of 30 questions about the Bundesrepublik Deutschland and 3 questions specific to the land /territory in which you live (my case Bavaria).

17/33 to pass.

Ja wohl!

bowglie

Viel Gluck!

anono

Goose??

rickmeister

Interested in how you get on, this is on my to do list…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How hard can it be 😉

Caher

Are you allowed joint citizenship?

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

Edit – oh forget it

andy4d

Is there a practical element to the test, such a how quickly can you place a towel on a sunlounger etc.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

Do they test sausage consumption?

Drac

Do they test if you know how to post an image instead of a google search result?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

England Versus Germany, World cup Final. Who do you support?

As you enter the exam if someone says “good luck” in English be sure to reply in German!

alpin
    Free Member

@ Rickmeister…. Do it. Do it sooner rather than later.

Although this is of some comfort:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/aussenpolitik/europa/brexit-uebergangsgesetz/2119360

tewit
    Free Member

If you win. Post up the answers as I think I’ll join you.

Edukator
    Free Member

Glücklickeweise hast Du nur eine kleine Strafe bekommen, Weinige als 180 Tagessätzen sowieso. 😉

alpin
    Free Member

Are you allowed joint citizenship?

yes… and no.

you can have dual citizenship so long as both are from EU member states. so theoretically, if i were to apply/my paper work was processed after the UK had officially left the EU then i would have to make the choice between UK or German.

as it is, the German gov. are making some allowances for UK citizens and if they have handed in their applications before the end of March (assuming the UK leaves with a no-deal) they can still get dual citizenship.

if there is an extended period of UK withdrawal from the EU then the German gov will give UK citizens until December 2020 to apply.

alpin
    Free Member

If you win. Post up the answers as I think I’ll join you.

https://www.einbuergerungstest-online.eu

Have a bash.

alpin
    Free Member

@ Edukator…. That is my one concern.
    (where did you get the 180 days from?)

Couple of questions on the application form are:

“do you be any Verurteilung (convictions) in Germany or another state?”

On that one I’m safe.

“hatten sie in den letzten 3 Jahren irgendwelche Ordnungswidrigkeiten?”
    (have you had any misdemeanours in the last 3 years?)

Well, yes. Quite a few and one rather big glaring one. Several tickets for riding my bike along a bike path the wrong way and going against the red man.

Some people have said leave it blank (an omission of information is not a crime). Others have said you’ve paid up and been punished, it shouldn’t go against you.

I’m torn.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I just got 14 out of 33 and I can’t read or speak German (although my Swedish helped) and I pressed the wrong button for who built the Berlin Wall. I reckon you will be fine, don’t get in a kuddelmuddel

alpin
    Free Member

Yeah. Lots of various tests to look at online.

Even on “Sehr schwer” I still get around 26-28….

Just did the “most incorrectly answered questions” and got 26.

Some of the questions are a joke.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well after 20 mins effort

Bestanden!

Glückwunsch! Sie haben 27 Fragen von 33 richtig beantwortet.

Damit hätten Sie den möglichen Einbürgerungstest der Bundesrepublik Deutschland bestanden. Dazu sind nur 17 richtige Antworten nötig.

Here Alpin

https://www.frag-einen-anwalt.de/Einbuergerung-trotz-Vorstrafe–f3716.html

Incidentally I did the test for prospective immigrants to England and failed.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Like in a German humour kind of joke?

alpin
    Free Member

SEITE NICHT GEFUNDEN
    Die Seite die Sie angefordert haben, konnte nicht gefunden werden

From your link, Edukator…

A German guy walks into a pub in London. The barman asks what he does.
    “I’m a comedian”
    “a German comedian? No way. Tell me a joke…..”
    The German replies “a good Frau is like a Volkswagen!” and then laughs so hard he falls off the bat stool.

Edukator
    Free Member

Some of them really did make me smile, howsyourdad.

Die Menschen in Deutschland leben nach dem Grundsatz der religiösen Toleranz. Was bedeutet das?

Es dürfen keine Moscheen gebaut werden.
    Alle Menschen glauben an Gott.
    Jeder kann glauben, was er möchte.
    Der Staat entscheidet, an welchen Gott die Menschen glauben.

alpin
    Free Member

To be honest, my biggest concern is getting there in time. Nearest place I could get an appointment for the test is about 50 minutes away on a good day.

It’s snowing right now and I’ll have to dig the car out and hope that the Autobahn ist frei.

It took the GF almost three hours to get to work yesterday because of the snow. Would normally take an hour.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just go for the test with big springs on your hands and feet and a duck strapped to your head.

It’s the four sprung duck technique

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re right Alpin, it doesn’t work, but it’s the third result down if you type this in Google search:

“frag-einen-anwalt Einbuergerung drogen Vorstrafe”

It starts like this which should help you find it with Google

“4 avr. 2005 – Im Januar 2003 habe ich Drogen konsumiert und wurde danach im Strassenverkehr eriwscht und habe dafür eine Strafe von 80 Tagessätzen”

leffeboy

As you enter the exam if someone says “good luck” in English be sure to reply in German

Well I sniggered.

My application to become Belgian is in.  Working here for 5 years continuously gets you straight through the language and integration test which is rather nice really.  The rest is a couple of hundred euros and a bunch of forms.  If you haven’t got the work record then you need to do language tests and get various people to write letters for you.

alpin
    Free Member

Cheers…. But I’m not vorbestraft… Just a misdemeanour. Bei mir ist die besitzt von Cannabis eingestellt worden. But I got fined for being high.

Cougar

Invade Poland?

(Sorry)

Edukator
    Free Member

Alles klar, bleib locker.

SaxonRider

leffeboy, you’re in Brussels? I assume your daily use language is French?

vongassit
    Free Member

Don’t mention ze var!

matt_outandabout

To rival perchy – do you know the German for windscreen wipers?

Der flickenflacken muckenspreden schticken.

MSP

I should have done it, but health problems over the past 18 months have decimated my German language lessons, and I need to go back and cover ground I did 2 years ago.

I have had lots of friends do it, one tip is for the language test don’t do it at the goethe institut, they are proud to be quite strict. There is another official organisation you can do it with (the name of which I cannot recall) they allow a little more leeway. Unless you are very confident in your German skills of course, but I know a couple of guys who have been here for 20 years and I would consider to speak near perfect German who failed at the goethe institut.

England Versus Germany, World cup Final. Who do you support?

The correct answer would be anyone but Holland.

welshfarmer

27 out of 33 here too. I really should get my shit together and make the first steps before it becomes much harder. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

leffeboy

leffeboy, you’re in Brussels? I assume your daily use language is French

Yep. Our commune in bilingual but French is all I can do. My brain gets messed up trying a second

alpin
    Free Member

@ MSP….. have heard the same.

I’ve got the language test next week (again about an hour from Munich) and it’s a TELC test.

Get on it. Depending on where you are the process can be quite quick.

edhornby

Leffeboy you’re lucky to have a bilingual commune, I know a guy who worked for BP there and ended up in a Flemish one , they got really upset if he spoke any french… He loved it there even though he thought they were all a bit bonkers

slowoldman

I was recently thinking about this. At my age there really isn’t any point but I just had this idea I might like to die being a citizen of a sensible nation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘First step to being a German….’ is closed to new replies.