First step to being a German….

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • First step to being a German….
  • Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

It took the GF almost three hours to get to work yesterday because of the snow. Would normally take an hour.

Snow on the autobahn?
    They’ll be slowing down to 150kmh and leaving a 2 car gap instead of 1.

Edukator

I made the mistake of asking directions in a bar in French on the wrong side of the linguistic border in Belgium. 🙁 However in another bar I asked in English-nope, French-nope, German-bingo! They went and got the German speaking cook out of the kitchen to help.

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

Good luck Alpin. I’ve got my Irish paperwork back so I’m also officially an Irish citizen now. Just waiting on the passport. Looks like I’ll need to do this all for the kids as well.

cchris2lou

Are you sure the rules about dual nationality are correct?
    I thought it was the other way round.
    You can’t have dual nationality from 2 EU countries.

mariner

Es war kein Ziel.

alpin

@ cchris…. Definitely the case in Germany.

Although the GF kinda has dual citizenship. German-Iranian. Only because Iran automatically hands out a passport to anyone with vague connections (her dad is Iranian,she has never lived there and was born in Germany). Germany accepts this, but does not officially acknowledge it.

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

Mariner: it’s Tor not Ziel…google translate don’t know shit!
    I got 27/33 on the standard setting; am half German but last lived there 35 years ago so some inspired guesswork at play!

Test bestanden! 31 von 33.
    Should know a thing or two after living here for 18 years!😳 Just two questions about the names of some politicianI got wrong. I know a couple of German people here who would fail that test though.

I’ve been meaning to apply for German citizenship for a while especially after the British Embassy organized a meeting in the city last year and basically said that know one has a clue what is going to happen if Brexit goes through. I can’t imagine the country kicking me out though seeing as I have four children with German passports, I run a business here paying a shed load of tax and own property here. As a last resort I could always marry Mrs Stern as we’ve been together for over 20 years!

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

, I know a guy who worked for BP there and ended up in a Flemish one , they got really upset if he spoke any french

Yes. The folks themselves are lovely and will happily speak English but at a commune level they are much more protective, especially in Flemish communes it seems

Premier Icon Elbows
    Subscriber

Alpin, did mine in November, did you also get the ‘what are the colors of the Bavarian flag’ and the capital of Bayern’ questions? I got the feeling they let anyone in with the test and the real test is to produce 3 month’s payslips and be up to date with your tax.

alpin

10 minutes, in and out.

2 questions I was a little fuzzy on.

mariner

I stand corrected unlike the Russian linesman.
    Es war kein Tor.

alpin

@ elbows

No, neither of those.

One Bayern specific one was “which of these is the Bavarian Wappen?”

The other maybe “was hat Bayern nicht?

Innenminister
    Finanzminister
    Außenminister
    Something else….

Regarding your point about them wanting to see that you’re tax is up to date, etc….

Being self employed they want to see that your earnings for the last two years are over 20,5k gross.

Mine was always way over, but 2017 my mum got ill and I spent most of my time in the UK, earning nothing. The guy at the amt put it in my notes.

I’m yet to hand in my Steuererklärung for 2017…. That is partly my fault for having a shitty accountant.

CountZero

Just two questions about the names of some politicianI got wrong. I know a couple of German people here who would fail that test though.

I’d fail any English test that involved politics, and I’ve lived here my entire life.
    And as for football or sports, or celebrity telly…

alpin

Round two tomorrow…. Language test.

Der, die, das….

-en, -e, -er, -em….

My Bavarian is hotter than my Hoch Deutsch.

Nico

I pressed the wrong button for who built the Berlin Wall.

It wasn’t Trump then.

bigrich

Get some Birkenstocks. The germans know a thing or two about foot comfort

Edukator

I used to take a school trip to Bad Wimpfen, when they’d had a few drinks the Schwäbisch started and that was the end of me following the conversation.

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

lol at Edukator. I learnt my German from the locals high on the Swabian Alb. It really is a different language to what most people would recognise as German. Kind of like what Rab C Nesbitt is to the Queens English. But I love it.

Heidenei

alpin

Ich: bist du Schwabe?

Er (total erstaunt): Wie hasch des jetzt so gschwind rausgefunde?

I learnt my German in the NRW, so I am completely unable to say “nein” – NEE ALL THE WAY!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.