• This topic has 33 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by dpfr.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • First signs of Spring
  • scruff9252

The sun is shining, there is the first signs of warmth in the sun & I’ve just had my first cup of coffee outside in the garden this year. At the end of the garden is a piece of common land which is planted with a goodly number of trees – These trees are full of birds singing and the snow drops are in full bloom.

The breaking of winter and the start of spring is bloody marvellous, isn’t it?

weeksy

It’s been spring since Tues here, I’ve ridden my motorcycle twice and been out in none winter cycling clothing too. Spring is here.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Loads of Yellowhamers showing around the hedgerows on my ride yesterday, must be coming out of their winter hiding places.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

First Daffs out in our garden with all the snow drops, crocus is flowering too. What a lift mentally this has given me after quite a few weeks really struggling with the dark days and same four walls.

Our nest boxes are all being investigated by the tits, Robins etc. Pond full of spawn. Nature is amazing and a it gives us a huge boost mentally.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I walked the dogs without a coat on* this week. First time** since Autumn.

*on me, not the dogs – they have fur.
    **without a coat – not first dog walk.

Anyway, it’s lovely and sunny, winter might be over and I finish work early on a Friday. Things are looking better.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It was -1C this morning with a decent frost over everything, coldest morning this week by far!

dawson

Beware of Fools Spring!

DezB
    Free Member

Some of my little (dwarf?) daffs are emerging 🙂

Yak

Yesterday I dry-brushed a bit of mud off the bike after a ride. Amazing.
    Snowdrops, narcissi – all out and looking great.

big_scot_nanny

Still a wee bit wet under tire, but yes, 2 rides this week (before and after midweek rain) in shorts. With non-thermal gloves. No buff. And no urgent need to wash down bike afterwards.

Glorious!

willard

Stockholm: Snowdrops appearing through the small piles of remaining snow.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cleaned the bikes and even did a proper deep clean on one I’m selling. Just had scrambled eggs and a (Singletrack) mug of coffee outside and now I’m off in shorts and a couple of T shirts for my exercise and a trip to the shop.
    CAn almost believe spring is here. Not looking too warm tonight.

anono

Anyone else more excited about the weather improving/trails drying out than the impending relaxation of lockdown/opening of pubs etc?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Had a walk around the block before lunch, frost is gone and it’s actually really pleasant out there…

Think I’m going to get the road bike off the turbo and go for a gentle post-lurgy ride, perhaps even in bibshorts! 😮

Houns

Currently sat in the garden in shorts and a polo shirt, admittedly it is a bit nippy when the sun pops behind a cloud. If this warm weather continues this coming week then I’ll be having to start grass cutting at work

IdleJon

Beware of Fools Spring!

The alder and hazel catkins are out around here. Plenty of birds doing their thing on my morning commute. Daffs, snowdrops, etc are out. This is all pretty normal for late February. Even the temperature, which is on the chilly side as expected. Why the warning?

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I rode to work in shorts, twice this week (05h30am commute) 🙂

amodicumofgnar

First bud on the early tree burst last weekend – first tree in the village that comes into leaf. It’s about two weeks ahead of last year.

dantsw13

Cleaned the patio, got the furniture out, daffs/crocuses / primroses out, birds nesting, bees out & about.
    Trails showing signs of drying….

StuE
    Free Member

Skylarks singing on our walk this morning and trails starting to dry out

whytetrash

First signs of pink in the sky and birdsong this morning finishing nightshift…. had to scrape a thick frost off the car though!

singlespeedstu

The woodland on my morning walk is springing back to life.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kF69Jw]Woodland coming back to life[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

dudeofdoom

Anyone else more excited about the weather improving/trails drying out than the impending relaxation of lockdown/opening of pubs etc?

But the 2 are inextricably linked 🙂

Nothing beats a bit of cake or a pint after a good hard ride.

MoreCashThanDash

It will certainly improve the wait.

Lawn had its first trim midweek before the frosts came back, village near us always has early daffs out in the hedgerows, spring is approaching

slowoldman

Strong sun this morning with shadows in the trees hiding the potholes.

oldnick

The hens have started laying again.

jam-bo

Got a ride in after work without lights….

CountZero

Out for a walk last Sunday from a nearby village, and there was a bumblebee on a clump of snowdrops, sadly it was too busy for me to grab a photo.
    Been wearing shorts to work all week, which was challenging! Bloody cold this morning, doing despatch checks on cars means using a tablet, my fingertips were frozen! By early afternoon I was down to shorts and a thin wool base-layer, it was so warm.
    Snowdrops in the garden have been out for some time, as have some primroses, and some daffodils, the first couple of leaves on a little Acer are already unfolding, and a little apple tree, which is years old, and was transplanted from a pot into the garden, is coming into leaf after I bought a big terracotta pot for it; the soil here is very stony, and it’s really suffered, so I’m hoping it might produce some decent apples this year.
    Crocuses are also coming out, and there’s a violet in flower as well, those are spreading all over the garden, and I’m waiting for the cowslips to start showing flower spikes, I’ve got masses of them growing now, from a single tiny one some years ago.

Snowdrops and primroses in Biddestone churchyard last Sunday, the primroses are centre-left, not so easy to see against the background, but there were surprising numbers out already.

scruff
    Free Member

Saw a butterfly today, whilst riding home wearing shorts.

falkirk-mark

Found the first tick of the year on my dog (devilla forest)

ElShalimo

I’m amazed by the photos. Here in hilly West Yorkshire the snowdrops have arrived to say hello to the Helllibores. Daffodil shoots are rising but we’re still a long way from seeing them bloom

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can tell I live in the south now.

Wasps about the last couple of days.

Conservatory warming up with the heat of the sun to a level you can use it

Cut the grass yesterday and had to do it on. The highest setting it was that long

Probably going to take the nice road bike out today rather than the winter bike

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Latitude innit.

Here in North Somerset the snow drops began about 4 weeks ago, daffs and crocus about 2 weeks. Primroses are nearly there now too.

I’ll be making my first lawn cut and doing the hedges this weekend.

dpfr

Still pretty cool here in the Bleak Peak but the skylarks have come back to the high moorland and I saw a lapwing displaying, and a couple of buzzards soaring and calling, so definitely good signs.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘First signs of Spring’ is closed to new replies.