Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Firewood bulk bag size/price question…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I am about to order some logs for stacking ready for winter. My local supplier has 0.8m3 for £119 or 1.6m3 for £279. Am I being a bit thick in assuming that 1.6m3 is simply double 0.8m3? If it is, why on earth is it more expensive to buy a bigger bulk bag?

johndoh
    Free Member

They list 0.8m3, 1.2m3 and 1.6m3 as the available sizes

Link

ElShalimo

Sometimes the bags are not stacked that well and there can be lots of unused space

We get logs in a crate which has been carefully stacked and is completely full

@johndoh
    – where are you based?

johndoh
    Free Member

^ Harrogate

oldtennisshoes

They list 0.8m3, 1.2m3 and 1.6m3 as the available sizes

I’d message them and ask them. I suspect that they are just a bit fast and loose with dimensions.

SSS
    Free Member

Agree with above, i suspect the website dimensions/volume is wrong. Around here they sell them in builders bags (0.8×0.8×0.8 = 0.5m3) or potato boxes.

£85 for a builders bag, £120 for a potato box.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not much help with the question John but I’ve always found their logs very good though occasionally one or two are a bit large.

I usually get the silver barrow bags.

I suspect the sizes should be 0.8^3 m, 1.2^3 m and 1.6^3 m. Not m^3

johndoh
    Free Member

^ Yeah I have always been happy with them (or Arthur Atkinson’s who do some good bundle deals but I have enough kindling and fire lighters to last about four years ATM and they don’t seem to sell bulk bags by themselves for some reason) – it’s just that I haven’t seen these size options before and it’s thrown me

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I would suggest not picking up by the way – the “Road” in turns from tarmac to track about half way to the gate and the ridge in the middle is just about the perfect height to ground your car on once you’ve loaded.

Do not ask how I know this.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hah – no thanks – happy for them to dump it on my drive and stack them up straight away 🙂

cudubh

Is there a preferred supplier for firewood around the Stirling/Falkirk area? I am looking to stock up before the weather turns grim and the next hike comes in for electricity, and the oil price goes up with it.

dyna-ti

Is this hardwood or softwood ?

finephilly
    Free Member

That is pretty dumb pricing – probably something to do with handling/transporting a larger bag…
    I would advise finding a good local supplier. You can save loads buying it green (fresh felled) then splitting and seasoning yourself. Ash is a good species for quick turnarounds – fairly dry to start with.

timber

Absolutely no standard pricing structure 😂
    I need to charge more seeing some of these threads, but more importantly I need to get splitting and fill all the sheds.

johndoh
    Free Member

They are a local supplier 🤷🏻‍♂️

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Am I being a bit thick in assuming that 1.6m3 is simply double 0.8m3?

No, but you have to remember that some stupid people use a different measure for volume ( and indeed area) sometimes..

They state a single dimension and then say “cubed” after it. Meaning a cube of dimensions x,x,x rather than a volume of xm^3.

In my language, a cube of dimension 0.928m is 0.8m^3 m

But a stupid person may refer to a cube of 0.8m as being 0.8m cubed, even though it is actually only about 0.5m^3

Thus your woody may be comparing a lump 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8 = 0.512m^3 with one that measures 1.6 x 1.6 x 1.6m. Which is of course 8 times as big. And thus a bargain 🙂

monkeyboyjc

£120 here would get you a pickup filled to the brim of soft wood, £180 in mixed hard/soft woods….. It will get dumped on your driveway/garden/road for you to clear though….(2or3hrs of stacking logs last time I ordered.

Alternatively £120 would also get you 22 bags of 8 logs which is definitely more than 0.8m3 – prob about 1.2m3 but nicely bagged for storage.

lambchop
    Free Member

£70 for a dumpy bag in Milton Keynes. That is for mixed hardwood dried to under 20% moisture. Mostly ash, oak, beech and my fav cherry.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thank you @thegeneralist

And I wish I could get a bulk bag for £70 – not seen those sorts of prices for many years in Harrogate!

Edit – and looking online (nationally and including Milton Keynes) I can’t see anyone with prices vastly different either – certainly none for £70 for a bulk bag.

the-muffin-man

Thread hi-jack!

We recently moved into a house that has a tiny “Hobbit” log-burner. I can’t see us using many logs as it’s so small. 🙂

I’ve bought a few of these bags to start with, but can I leave them outside in the bags or do I need to take them out of the bags and build a log store for them?

johndoh
    Free Member

^ As they are kiln-dried (so they don’t need any further seasoning) then they will be fine outside (they also appear to be in plastic bags so they wouldn’t even need to be under cover).

the-muffin-man

👍

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.