Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Finger pain due to cycling
  • kimbers

My braking fingers, mostly around the joints

anyone else, treatments, exercises etc? and yeah brake less!

arthritis?

cheers

somouk
    Free Member

I get this on prolonged downhills and tend to find the more I ride the less it hurts.

Also, check you leavers are angled correctly, not to steep and not to shallow.

tonyd

Funny that, I’ve noticed that the main knuckle on my right forefinger has been painful lately. Was wondering if it was biking (braking) related, arthritis, or just pulled something playing with the children.

Nothing useful to add, just wanted to share 🙂 I shall be watching this thread with interest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check alignment, grips, gloves etc then maybe see a physio etc.

belugabob
    Free Member

Moved my brakes inside the shifters, so that I can brake with one finger (on each hand), and the pain from prolonged braking has reduced significantly.
    Might be worth a try – if you haven’t already done so.

timrobinson229
    Free Member

started a thread on this (see history). shallower angles on brake (ie tilt them up), thick grips, wider bar and most importantly put the brakes inside the gear shifters so you can only reach them with one finger…. took me ages but getting there…

RoterStern
    Free Member

Or give those grips from Ergon a try.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I swear by the ergon grips, had some for 7 years now and never have any problems. prior to that any long ride would leave me in pain – have arthritis in a few of my fingers (from my other extreme hobby – knitting! ). I can even ride happily when my finger are sore with those grips – position is everything though so make sure the hand is supported keeping the wrist as straight as possible.

looking at getting a cyclocross bike – and slightly worried problems may come back ith the change of position, but only by one way to find out.

butcher

I get this on the road bike. I think mainly because when I’m on the hoods I have to pull/push my fingers downwards towards the floor, rather than gripping them back into my hand.

Then of course it transfers to every other bike. But having the levers set out from the grips a little so you have a good easy leverage helps, as does a good sweep in the bars I find (again I think it encourages more of a natural gripping motion rather than pulling fingers to the side).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Finger pain due to cycling’ is closed to new replies.