Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Finding good tenants
  • myti
    Free Member

I am soon to become a landlord as I will be renting out my home of the last 8 years.
    I have a load of people booked in to see the house this weekend and was hoping to get some ideas on what to ask them and what can I ask for in terms of references? How will I know if it’s a proper reference not just a mate of theirs? Cheers in advance.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Strongly suggest paying an agent a finders fee to check refs and draw up contract then manage yourself. Safer that way

rudebwoy
    Free Member

gut instinct

Free Member

not the dudes who stink of ‘herb’ and want to pay you in cash and ask if the chimney has been lined…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Strongly suggest paying an agent a finders fee to check refs and draw up contract then manage yourself. Safer that way

This ^. Its worked well for us so far.

myti
    Free Member

Hmmm…I’ve already found the tenants though and they are coming in a few days so don’t really have time to or desire to use an agent. No tips on what to ask? I will definitely be using a bit of good old guy instinct though!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Landlord zone forums are very good.

vmazie
    Free Member

I admit to being biased due to having had a terrible experience of what seemed like ideal tenants (found through an agent) becoming ‘sitting tenants’ ie. refusing to pay rent or leave.
    To cut a long story short I now know more about letting laws, court procedures and solicitors fees than I would have preferred.
    Even though these situations are not over common, and it would not put me off renting out a property in the future, my one bit of advice would be to get insurance on your rental income.

samuri
    Free Member

Definately meet them no matter what. You get a good feel or not for people when you meet and talk to them.

We spent about an hour with our tenants and pretty much instantly liked them and they showed they were trustworthy, honest and reliable.

Of course, if they lose their jobs that might change but so far we were bang on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

uponthedowns – Member

This ^. Its worked well for us so far.[/quote]
    Not for us, contracts are easy and available, inventories are generally better done yourself (photo’s, video & incredibly detailed lists)
    Refs can be done/skipped.
    The only other thing is a credit check though sure someone can point you in the right direction.

myti
    Free Member

Cheers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Finding good tenants’ is closed to new replies.