Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Filing down 10s freehubs to fit 11s cassettes?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone done it? I’ve got a Pro2 wheelset which I’d like to use the rear wheel on my CX bike, but it’s a normal mtb freehub, looks like there’s plenty of meat on it to take 1mm off, has anyone else done it? Any tips?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Take it off the cassette

bigyan
    Free Member

What ratio cassette are you fitting? Shimano Ultegra HG800 11-34 11 speed cassette fits on an 8/9/10 freehub. Shimano 11 speed MTB cassettes fit 8/9/10 freehubs”.

Have you checked the cassette can go 1.85mm towards the wheel without hitting the hub/spokes?

I would use a lathe, if not I would mark each spline 1.85mm down and file down to the mark, going to be time consuming to get them all the same.

I have seen people turn the cassette down as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, but then it needs doing on every cassette, Vs doing the freehub once. It looks like there’s plenty of material to take off anyway, the other option it get the freehub done on a lathe.

I did consider the 11-34, but I’d rather something like 11-28 as it already has a 36/46 front.

bigyan
    Free Member

Where are you based? Somebody might have a lathe near by. A small old school machine shop might do that kind of thing relatively cheap for cash if you tell them exactly what you want. Some bike shops have lathes as well.

Personally I would do it once on a lathe and its sorted forever more, just needs a 1.85 spacer for 8/9/10 if the wheel goes on another bike in the future.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Filing down 10s freehubs to fit 11s cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.