Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fed up with screaching brakes – any recommendations for quiet pads??
  • freeagent
    Free Member

I’m just about at the end of my tether with the Shimano Hydros on my Arkose.

They were alright for the first few months (brilliantly silent) but now howl every time I make a hard stop.

I’ve cleaned everything with alcohol.
    I’ve ‘deglazed’ the pads by rubbing them on fine sandpaper.
    I’ve removed the discs and sanded off the previous braking marks (as recommended in an article I read by the Avid brake designer)
    after cleaning up pads + discs I’ve ‘bedded them in’ properly (repeated hard stops from 15-20 mph)

I’ve come to the conclusion that the pads might be contaminated (don’t know how this would happen front + rear – I’m really careful not to spray any lubricants near the brakes)

I don’t see why I need to replace the discs – they’re not warped, and if I give them another light sand off before fitting new pads nothing can be wrong with them.

I’ve got Shimano Deore hydros on my MTB which never squeal, and neither did the Formula brakes I had before.

So what pads should I buy? – not bothered about cost or longevity – just performance and quietness (the bike does about 1k miles per year on road/towpaths)

What else should I try?

Cheers in advance…

kayak23

I find it’s always a bit of a jackpot but after having to remove superstar sintered after two runs of hell, I find that the organic ones don’t tend to squeal so much.

Plus they’re organic, so you’re doing your bit for the environment 😉

Superstar or Uberbike organic I’ve found ok.

Edit, the other day fixing a friend’s bike with squealing brakes, I also sanded the disc and pads lightly and burnt the pad surface on the gas hob too . Seemed to cure it at least for the time being.

core

I’ve gone back to Shimano organic, they were cheap enough if bought in bulk from Ze Germans before brexit the EU referendum.

They don’t last as long ( performance wise with heat build up, or in terms of life) as sintered, obvs, but bite better from cold and are cheaper. You do need to bed them in properly though.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Shimano’s own are the best bet.

Followed by Uberbike semi metallic.

On no account ever, ever fit Superstar pads. They’ll squeal.

A lot.

Del

discobrakes have a wide selection of compounds and i’ve always been happy with their general purpose compound. cheap too. shocking website though. tip – you don’t need to create an account to buy from them.
    however typically squealing brakes are caused by the disc being bent/twisted as you apply the brake. i would look at the caliper alignment first. squeeze the brake and look at the disc where it enters and exits the caliper as you pump the lever. adjust the caliper to eliminate any sideways movement.

karlp
    Free Member

Are the calipers correctly aligned with the rotors central and pads engaging the rotor at the same time causing no movement of the rotor left/right? Are the pistons moving feel and equally?
    You have my sympathies, I was tempted to throw a bike off an Alpine mountain once it was squeeling so much.

noltae
    Free Member

Are some rotor patterns more susceptible to squealing than others ?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Superstar Kevlar pads never squeal in my experience. Had them in three different brake types and always quiet even in the wet. Also they work really well so that’s nice.

nedrapier

On no account ever, ever fit Superstar pads. They’ll squeal.

I found the exact opposite. The Organics are very quiet. cured the banshee howl on my BB7s. Cheap too, and occasionally on offer for “F it, I may as well stock up at those prices.” prices. I’ve got a small drawer full of shimano and avid. Should keep me going/stopping for a while.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m having problems with squealing XT brakes. Always been fine before but not used the bike for while but now they howl when applying the brakes, the front more than the rear. Fitted new pads – getting them bedding in, sanded then cleaned the discs with IPA and they’re still embarrassingly loud.
    I’ve tried Shimano sintered, Ashima Organic and Superstar Kevlar but no joy. The calipers are lined up and pistons moving freely. Anything I’ve missed?

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – sounds like I’m not alone!

Might try a new set of OEM Shimano pads in the front brake – just to rule out contamination..

HansRey

craigxxl, yep same for me. My bike was static for 3 months, then joined a new riding group. Coupled with a hope hub, i didn’t need a bell.

also, hello Ned! Fancy meeting up/ going for a ride in the slop?

IHN

I had this with the Little Lady’s bike; howled like a b@st@rd.

Took it into the LBS and the chappy there told me that some Shimano OEM rotors can only take synthetic pads (and in fact it says so on the rotor). Anything else will howl like the aforementioned (and may wreck the coating on the rotor, meaning anything, including synthetic pads, will howl)

Worth checking what your rotors say if they’re OEM.

nedrapier

Same problem with 2 pairs of SLX. Not used for a few weeks. howly and crappy braking. a few hard stops to burn off the crap, and they’re good as new again. Maybe the surface of the pads gets degraded with moisture?

Hey Hans! Meet up: yes. Ride will have to wait a couple of months: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/separated-shoulder-grade-34-surgery/page/2#post-7932954

coppice
    Free Member

Caliper/piston Seals, fairly common fault. Main solution is warranty or new caliper

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had this with the Little Lady’s bike; howled like a b@st@rd.

Took it into the LBS and the chappy there told me that some Shimano OEM rotors can only take synthetic pads (and in fact it says so on the rotor). Anything else will howl like the aforementioned (and may wreck the coating on the rotor, meaning anything, including synthetic pads, will howl)

Worth checking what your rotors say if they’re OEM.

Interesting as I have RT76 discs but the surface of the discs is a wearable component so not sure how the pads would effect this as any coating will wear off regardless of pad type. On the instructions for the disc there are warnings about bedding in and not to touch due to the heat but nothing on the pad type.

amedias
    Free Member

Same problem with 2 pairs of SLX. Not used for a few weeks. howly and crappy braking. a few hard stops to burn off the crap, and they’re good as new again. Maybe the surface of the pads gets degraded with moisture?

I get this with one pair of XTs, the SLXs and Deores haven’t done it yet but these XTs drive me nuts for the first 10mins of every ride after they’ve been sitting for a while.

Currently trying various different pads to see if there’s any change but it’s taking a while as I don’t use that bike much. I refuse to believe it’s both callipers micro-leaking as whatever it is burns off quickly, where as properly compromised pads wouldn’t do that and there’s no evidence of any fluid leaks even with a bit of tissue left behind the pads to check back on next time I use it.

freeagent
    Free Member

Oh.. interesting.
    My bike has been sitting for a few moths (it is primarily my winter road bike) and was silent when I last rode it in April.

mikey74
    Free Member

On my MTBs I’ve gone back to Shimano Resin as I find them the quietest. I used SS Kevlar for a while but found them to be noisy.

prawny

I’ve just swapped my standard tektro front pads for some superstar organics, in the dry they’re great but in the wet, my god! It’s quite uncomfortable. Will be getting some oem ones to fit for winter commuting.

mark90
    Free Member

Shimano RT56 are only specified for use with organic pads, the RT66 (and above I assume) are ok for any pads.

bigpins
    Free Member

Can sometimes be a micro vibration between the pad and piston when the pad makes contact with the disk. Small amount of copper slip on the back of the pad works a treat.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m having problems with squealing XT brakes.

There was a thread! Apparently a tiny leakage of mineral oil gets on the disks!
    It’s fixable!
    I bought a new set of hoses from Uberbike – they come with new connectors, which is the crucial bit.

LEAK NO MORE!
    SQUEAL NO MORE!

Pads? Rotors? ANY! 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

If the brake judders and squeals as you roll to a stop, the pads are contaminated. Try putting them in the dishwasher; there’s nothing hotter or more caustic for grease removal. Try also filing a chamfer on the “leading” i.e. back edge of the pads.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fed up with screaching brakes – any recommendations for quiet pads??’ is closed to new replies.