Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • **** splined rotors/wheels………….**** shimano/on one…………….
  • ton

why the **** would shimano want to bring a unique system out that is imho a pile of crap.
    why would a norther english bike supplier (who has another northern english bike stuff supplier not a million miles from them, who make super 6 bolt rotors) decide to supply the shimano slined rotor shyte

got some wheels, got some great 200mm hope 6 bolt rotors
    great hope rotors do not fit on shyte splined wheels
    drive to bury to buy some splined rotors
    get shop to fit front one, cos i have never used/fitted a splined on
    come home, try to fit rear splined rotor, it goes on
    try to tighten lock ring with 2 cassette fitting tools i have
    **** axle sticks out too far to fit cassette tool on to tighten it onto rotor.

a quick request to on one, go back to the good old days, stop buying incompatable shyte. it upsets your customers and they will lose faith with you.

now has anyone got a very deep cassette fitting tool i can borrow………………… 😉

markenduro
    Free Member

Can you not drill out the tool that you have got to go over the axle?

Sam

What's wrong with centrelock? I like em because they're lighter and stiffer so less liable to getting knockd out of true. You can get adapters which allow you to use 6 bolt rotors on centrelock hubs. If you want to talk about hub/rotor compatibility issues Hope is perhaps not the best company to hold up as your example, ex of four bolt rotors and now of three…

ton

sam, the thing wrong with center lock is that 99.9% of bikes supplied come with good old fashioned 6 bolt.

legspin
    Free Member

or just do your homework before you order stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

centerlock is fine on my bike

just as i wouldnt buy a 1.5 inch steerer fork to fit my 1 1/8th headtube just because most forks are 1 1/8th i wouldnt presume they all were

6 bolt is overkill imho … the splined system works well and ive just got a set of hope 3 bolt jobs which are propper posh.

stop getting your nickers in a twist because YOU made the mistake of buying the wrong thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Centrelock is not lighter I don't believe – the disc has to have a thicker centre on it as you have rivets instead of bolts. Certainly the centrelock discs I have are heavier that the 6 bolt ones and so are the hubs

Its all about shitmano locking you in to their proprietary system. and easier production engineering

trail_rat
    Free Member

i didnt mean it as overkill as in weight i meant as in 6 bolts … i used to run 3 of the bolts except when i had big uns which i had to run all 5 in …

fontmoss
    Free Member

centrelock is pretty handy if youve ever fecked 6 bolt torqs bolts trying to get a disc off after a year or 2 of riding in crap

ton

trail_rat

are you blind, did you not see 😉
    i know it is MY fault……………………

trail_rat
    Free Member

so if you know its your fault why are you on here bad mouthing on-one saying they shouldnt stock centerlock hubs ?

2 or 3 threads in the last 2 days. I know they say any publicity is good but many threads from the same person about the same thing is a bit ott

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

a quick request to on one, go back to the good old days, stop buying incompatable shyte. it upsets your customers and they will lose faith with you.

Why do you think that they were so cheap?

ton

trail_rat
    behave yourself
    i have owned more on one products than you have eaten hot dinners.
    do you think i would seriously give a flying **** which rotors came with a bike
    do you not think i know a bargain when i see one.
    you silly person…………. 😆

doof_doof
    Free Member

Clearly it's all OO's fault. I mean they should anticipate highly skilled consumers mixing different mounting standards and using incompatible tools.

Full refund from OO is in order. And Hope. And Shimano. Surely others should pay too.

ton

sorted it now…………………trairat 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Am I guilty by association for thinking of getting a 456 frame?

njee20
    Free Member

If you get a current Shimano lockring tool it will be deeper and will go over the axle.

CHB

ton, I have the tool.
    You know where I live.
    email me if you want to drop in and pick it up tonight.

C.

ton

conrad, can i nip and borrow it tomorrow mate..

CHB

ton, thats fine. Can you make it after 7pm.

dobo
    Free Member

centre lock rotors are not light as such but centrelock hubs are usually lighter than the 6 bolt version.

and yea its a right pain when you have a shit cassette tool, been there

oh, i should add that some centrelock rotors with large centre floating part foul some disk brakes, e.g hayes and probably some others too, can be shimmed or filed down if needed

nothing wrong with centerlock though as such

Kahurangi

I too, had to go and buy a 2nd lockring tool as my park one (any any I could borrow) were older and wouldn't fit.

engineer: we've come up with this. it's stiffer, lighter and you can use a tool that everyone will have already!
    sales: how can we squeeze more money out of it…

boxelder

trailrat – "a bit OTT"??

How heavy are three rotor bolts FFS?

rolfharris
    Free Member

You need a quality tool- park, shimano or even a fat spanner one. Cheap ones won't work. Centrelock's pretty superior in my opinion- the system is lighter, you aren't locked into a system at all (you can buy adaptors and shimano rotors run on any brake. And shimano sell 6 bolt hubs too) and it is harder to whack a rotor out of true accidentally. it's also much easier to fit- anyone who's spent an afternoon drilling out siezed rotor bolts will agree with that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rolf – I don't know why you think they are lighter. the disc is significantly heavier, its got 6 rivets and a steel locking ring and you loose a small amount of alloy for the six bolt mounting.

It will allways have some slop in it as well as the splines need a sliding clearance. rubbish system

ton

teej talks sense.
    mini teej talks sales………….. 😉

Northwind

XT centrelock hubs are lighter than the 6-bolt equivalents, the discs are slightly heavier but alltogether it's a lighter package. But I reckon the system's slightly hurt by the lack of properly light discs, even the XTR ones aren't all that light. Apparently 6-bolt Hopes + DT Swiss adaptor is lighter than the XTR discs frinstance.

Oh, Rolf, you don't really need an expensive tool, you just need one that's the right shape… The Lifeline one is pretty budget and works perfectly frinstance.

retro83
    Free Member

It will allways have some slop in it as well as the splines need a sliding clearance. rubbish system

Eh? It works perfectly well, there is no noticeable slop.

I do agree it is annoying to have another pointless standard. Don't get me started on 15mm thru-axles! It's a backwards step from 20mm dammit!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Ton- I talk about the stuff I would let near my bike, which I'm pretty fussy about. I run kit from the same people on all my bikes- Rock Shox for forks, Shimano for gearing, braking and hubs and race face for the bits. With the exception of Raceface, who I like purely for bling content, everything else is chosen because it works reliably and excellently. If I recommend it, it's had many hours underneath me 😉

Kahurangi

rolf – you need a new tool. Manufacturers must have had to redesign them to make the tube deeper as my 6 yo park no. doesn't fit over to engage the CL locknut, but a new this year fat spanners model does.

tails
    Free Member

Heres the facts kids

Hope front pro II – 177g
    Hope rear pro II – 299g
    Hope floating rotor – 147g

Shimano front saint – 226g
    Shimano rear saint – 372g
    Shimano rotor splined – 153g

ojom
    Free Member

isn't xt more of a fair comparison to pro2?

Duc
    Free Member

Its not just Shimano who are at it!

I've just found out that the chainring bolts on my Campag Centaur carbon chainset are not only not compatible with any other standard chainset bolts, they are not compatible with any other bolts other than Centaur and wait for it……… the UK importer has never ordered any and is not sure if they ever will!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Interesting, as the Saint is a DH hub.

Shimano XTR Rotor- 127g
    XTR hub- 145g
    XTR rear hub- 275g

So total weight for the equivalently priced XTR system is about a 1/4lb lighter. And the ones on my race bike are much better than the shitey, noisy, knackered aluminium freehub body (XT cassette) borrowed Pro2s on my main bike at the minute.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Duc- we found that out in the shop the other day.

The part number you need is CPS80A, 10/11X Record chainring bolt set. You can also buy single ones.

The price of 5 bolts for your chainrings is…

£59.99!!!!!! Mental. One is £15 but I can't remember the part number for it. Phone chickens cycles (www.chickenscycles.co.uk) and ask them about it tomorrow. How many do you need as we may be able to sort something out for you?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Part number you need is CPS80 actually…

Duc
    Free Member

I only need one (inner and outer bolt) but Chickens say that part number isn't compatible with Centaur (through the shop I was talking to).
    That coupled with the fact that the allegedly 110mm BCD on the compact cranks is not the 110mm standard everyone else has meaning you must use Campag rings I'm slightly irritate with interpretation of "standards" at the moment.
    If I didn't much prefer Campag to shimano on the road bike I would have binned it all last week and started again with SRAM!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Blimey, that's a wierd (read: Italian) way of doing things. If you like I can send you one of my Chorus bolts which are the part number above to have a try of? My road bike's going to sit idle next month so (provided you promise to send it back!) you're welcome to have a go.

Duc
    Free Member

Rolf that would be wonderful unless you are going to be at SITS and then I can catch up with you there.
    Thanks very much for the offer

tails
    Free Member

well i suppose if you compare it to Shimano XT (taken from shimano website as i can't find another source) as i guess xtr is XC and saint downhill with xt being the "workhorse" groupset

Front 20mm 236g 15mm 180g
    Rear 411g
    rotor 180mm 176g

which actually makes it heavier than the saint stuff 😕 It doesn't really matter as its hub weight rather than tire/rim. I like the idea of the splined system but as has been said most companies use 6 bolt. Shame really as i find pro II too noisy i preferred the old hope XC bit quieter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘**** splined rotors/wheels………….**** shimano/on one…………….’ is closed to new replies.