Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Favourite artist doing cover versions
  • marra

Neil Young cover

Cletus

The best track of some pretty good Springsteen covers

Northwind

Quite partial to a Frank Turner cover. Basically just like normal only on an acoustic guitar, and depressing. I mean, a lot of people miss that Thunder Road is a sad story- 2 kids with no future just desperately jumping and hoping it works out, and then the Promise tells you just how badly it went. But because it’s Springsteen people hear an uplifting story about getting up and making a new life.

But Frank’s version? Yeah you know it’s going to end badly. Dancing Queen becomes a crushing account of the shortness of youth. You Are My Sunshine or Build Me Up Buttercup become suicide notes. I mean, Modern Leper ffs! “Here we have a song about mental health issues by my friend who has killed himself. LET’S MAKE IT EVEN SADDER”

navajo77
    Free Member

John kongos …. Original “ step on “ before the mancunian scallys took it

nedrapier

I do like a cover. I find the volume and variety of the musical output of us clever apes absolutely astonishing. Somehow having different people do the same things accentuates the difference in approach and styles. I guess it’s a bit like a Whip-off comp on a dirt jump, or a “best method” comp 0in snowboarding meet.

I do like a comedy take too – the Senor Coconut album TJ posted is a favourite, a bit of a chuckle as well as being very well done. I think their version of Sade’s Smooth Operator is my favourite through. ( @tjagain – if you like a left-field cover – look up Rondellus. Black Sabbath, sung in Latin, played on medieval instruments)

Surprised no-one’s mentioned Richard Cheese. Las Vegas lounge singer style. Stupid and brilliant, some utterly inappropriately jaunty covers. Sunny Side of the Moon Pink Floyd refraction image upturned in a martini glass. NSFW *at all*.

I love this. Beautiful and haunting. Faithful to the original and still a very different take.

tjagain

Richard Cheese is brilliant

nedrapier

ha! took too long to type mine!

richmars

Do live versions count?
    Springsteen’s done a few, my favorite is Free Nelson Mandela which he opened his first tour of South Africa with. Great for several reasons; Steve Van Zandt was heavily involved in the anti-apartheid movement in the 1980’s, and it’s good to watch the (largely white) crowd sing along.

swavis

This cover of Doom metal band Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats is just hauntingly brilliant! What a voice!

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Dinosaur Jr deserve full credit for aiming high and hitting the mark with this one.

You’d think anyone but Hope Sandoval singing this would be a disappointment, but…

desperatebicycle

Just played the Breeders first album, their Beatles cover is pretty decent. Drum sound on it is superb

Houns

I liked Dave Grohls Hanukkah sessions on YouTube

timmys

Radiohead – Nobody Does It Better

chakaping
    Free Member

That Radiohead tune is v good, and I don'[t even really like them.

🙂

scud
    Free Member

I love all the Lil Roy covers of Nirvana…

tjagain

Listened to this this morning and I thought of this thread. A great artist doing a great cover of a great song

CountZero

Nice to see The Staves posted up, saw them last week in Bristol, lacking one sister, who’s bringing up her new baby, so it must be a bit odd for the other two missing one part of their harmonies.
    Not heard the J Mascis cover of Fade Into You before, it’s really rather lovely. Just downloaded it.

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t believe thst this hasn’t surfaced yet!

martinhutch

I like covers that do the original slightly differently, so much that it sounds like a completely different genre.

I love this version of Elton John, transforms it into such a joyful song.

joelowden

Angelique Kidjo does a great cover of all of Talking Heads Remain in Light album. Some excellent music on it .

p7eaven
    Free Member

Little Dragon doing Kelis’ ‘Millionaire’. Yukimi Nagano can do no wrong, I’m convinced.

Kinfeworld/Mike Vennart/Spratleys Japs doing Cardiac’s ‘Dirty Boy’ live. I believe Tim Smith was there to witnessed it’s beauty. RIP.

johnx2
    Free Member

No vid unfortunately but Yaeji does the best cover of the classic Passion Fruit.

Sandwich

Another Springsteen cover as relevant as ever.

A Bowie cover by Nirvana and also by Claire Martin

nedrapier

More a re-imagining than a cover:

v7fmp

Landon Tewers covering Billie Eilish. Always sends shivers down my spine. Landon is a great singer. And if you are into slightly heavier stuff, his band ‘The Plot In You’ do some absolute belters.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heroes by Motorhead is a personal fave.

Also just about anything by Postmodern Jukebox, especially All About The Bass and Mmmmbop.

Gunz
    Free Member

Schneider Tm’s cover of The Smith’s There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is a lovely little thing:

pampmyride
    Free Member

The Main Squeeze tick the boxes..

chakaping
    Free Member

Schneider Tm’s cover of The Smith’s There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is a lovely little thing:

I remember hunting this out after hearing it on Coldcut Solid Steel (I think) years ago.

This cover always makes my hairs stand up too…

shermer75
    Free Member

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Millionaire cover reminded me about a remix. Yes I know but it’s pretty good like…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

frogstomp

As Miley Cyrus seemed to be a bit of a theme on previous pages:

Love a bit of Ska coverage:

And a throwback Thursday:

Also, of course:

<insert Hayseed Dixie video here>

chakaping
    Free Member

Hop to 1.25 and just leave it playing for some of the best cover versions in music history.

Also one of the best live bands I’ve seen.

AlexSimon

I like it when throwaway pop songs are given new meaning. This one especially made me realise the original lyrics are much more meaningful than I realised:

Crazy (Gnarls Barkley Cover) – Ray Lamontagne

metalheart
    Free Member

swavis

Someone mentioned a bit of Ska?

It reminded me of this which I instantly loved when we saw them perform it in Glasgow last year

And there’s nothing wrong with a bit of Clutch either 🙂

Northwind

That Radiohead “Nobody Does It Better” cover is fantastic, it suits Thom Yorke’s voice better than most Radiohead songs do.

redmex
    Free Member

Early Beatles did a few good covers

pandhandj
    Free Member

I was going to go for pomplamoose, but been done. So two versions of the same time:

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Favourite artist doing cover versions’ is closed to new replies.