Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Favourite artist doing cover versions
  • CountZero

From the Metallica ‘Blacklist’ covers album, one of my favourite artists, Phoebe Bridgers covering ‘Nothing Else Matters’.

And from the same album, the same song, handled somewhat differently. And, for what it’s worth, I like Miley’s voice, and she really uses her range on this; great arrangement, too.

A cover of one of my favourite artists, Spinifex Gum covering Tom Waits’ ‘Make It Rain’.
    Absolutely stunning singing.

redmex
    Free Member

Old Andy Williams song my mum used to play, I think the Beat version so much better

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just shows how good Chrissie Hynes is .

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

An obvious choice . Who ever plays the Zutons version any more .

Northwind

I posted inappropriate covers of metal songs so here’s an inappropriate metal cover of a U2 song. Saw them do this live once and it was absolutely bloody brilliant

WildHunter2009

Glad Leo got a look in we earlier, his YouTube channel is a gloriously extensive pit of metal covers!
    Violet orlandi who has done some stuff with him has a great metal cover of Eiffel 65 Blue with the Melodicka brothers.

Also DMA’s cover of Cher’s Believe on triple J like a version. It’s a thing or gum chewing glory.

WildHunter2009

WildHunter2009

WildHunter2009

Not a cover but a mashup…. So apologies nor this breaks to the rules. But this shouldn’t work as well as it does!!!

tjagain

This one is interesting – I don’t know the band but I believe the rest of the bands output is some kind of metal

slowoldman

I was surprised that Disturbed didn’t appear sooner given how popular it seemed to be a while back. Not to my taste though – shouting “Sound of Silence” seems, well, odd.

tjagain

I am very fond of a bit of reggae and reggae is full of cover versions. Sanchez who is covering this has a beautiful voice – but who thought this was a good idea?

Lionheart
    Free Member

Love these threads, really enjoy listening through the lot!
    My favourite two groups for covers at the moment are Pompalmoose

And Larkin Poe

CountZero

Mmmmm, loving the Larkin Poe cover! Shame they don’t seem to have an actual recording of it anywhere.

CountZero

Just looking through Larkin Poe’s recordings and videos, and found this cover; always had a soft spot for the song, but this is gorgeous.

I’d completely forgotten this one, Aimee Mann covering Coldplay.

CountZero

I’m not sure, but I think this might be one of the better covers of this song. I’ve seen the original artist quite a few times, and she’s never sung it live. One day, perhaps.

CountZero

Someone posted up Nilsson covering Badfinger, personally I think his version knocks spots off the original; this is another Badfinger song, the original I really like, but Aimee Man really does a cracking version of it.

And Tom Waits…

Phoebe Bridgers covering Tom Waits:

And Patty Griffin:

First time I saw Patty she was supporting Emmylou Harris at the Royal Albert Hall, just a tiny figure alone on a big stage, but she was mesmerising, and just filled the stage by her presence. Amazing singer.

jamj1974

This is a great one – cover of Sly and the Family Stone.

jamj1974

And another by the same band – this time of Curtis Mayfield. Love the message of this song – and the original version too.

IHN

In a sort of Larkin Poe stylee, I love this

(Johnny Cash wins BTW)

jamj1974

As much as I love Johnny Cash – I think this is a better cover, especially as it is a live radio session.

roverpig

Some great stuff in here. Keep ’em coming.

I’m sure there are loads that I don’t even know are covers (including some in here), but if we’re going with stuff the original artist supports I’ll throw in this one. Billy even did a re-write and added some verses, although still kept that cringeworthy line about space hardware 🙂

fasthaggis

Lianne la Havas does Weird Fishes

roverpig

I quite like this one too although the penultimate note sounds like he’s taking the piss 🙂

hb70

Nina Gordon doing Straight Outta Compton. NSFW. Delicious.

perchypanther
    Free Member

A sixteen year old girl absolutely nails it….

desperatebicycle

Not a massive fan of covers, but I love a Jack White/White Stripes cover. 3 different styles…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5wkTdVjE1s&t=186s (Beefheart cover)

tjagain

I guess a different arrangement of a traditional song counts? This one has real meaning for me. Its the song I used to sing to Julie as we wandered round the mountains and my friends sang it when we scattered her ashes. I love this version of it- very different to the trad arrangements of the corries or the country feel of the Byrds. Tears in my eyes everytime I hear it

Blackflag
    Free Member

jamj1974

It’s a wonderful song TJ – I personally love The Byrds version.

Kuco

Far from my favourite artist but Harry Styles does some good covers. And I could watch Sarah Jones drum all day.

Sledge Hammer

Chain

Klunk
    Free Member

desperatebicycle

IDLES ain’t bad at owning a cover

roger_mellie

Just an excuse to post up some Pixies. Cecelia Ann.

Klunk
    Free Member

nstpaul

Just another couple of the same Mettalica song covers for CountZero

Just so happens she’s my cousin as well 🙂

db

This is fantastic and makes me emotional every time I watch it.

Kuco

If we’re doing Metallica covers how about some Mongolian metal.

The HU Sad But True

tayls
    Free Member

the slits-heard it through the grapevine

the stranglers-walk on by

the dickies-nights in white satin

p7eaven
    Free Member

I quite like PSB’s up-tempo version of BSP’s ‘A Boy Vertiginous’

And also BSP’s pre-emptive version of PSB’s ‘White Star Liner’

And last but not least a BFI video cover of BSP’s ‘From The Sea To The Land Beyond’

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Favourite artist doing cover versions’ is closed to new replies.