Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Father & son, 4 – 5 days, Wales.. advice please
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m looking to take my son ( 15 ) to wales for some quality time on and off bikes. I’ld like to do Fod on the way to Afan, Cwm carn and the head up north to Antur stiniog, Snowdon, Penmachno, Coed Y, Nant y … I have a tent but if anyone can recommend Pods and the such if they’re not to dear.

Must haves are Trails & fun and in the evenings a cold beer or two, Would love to have BBQ’s open fire ( or fire pit ) good Banter..

Any suggestions??
    Anyone like-minded looking for the same. time-wise I’m pretty flexible as self-employed but it must co-incide with the summer hols.

oldnpastit

Shell Island? I’ve always fancied camping there but never had time. Would be a nice place for kicking back with some beers.

The hills inland (Rhinog’s) are pretty accessible for walking unless it’s been raining a lot.

tymbian
    Free Member

Don’t want to walk unless it’s pushing my bike up a hill..

oldnpastit

CyB is good then.

tymbian
    Free Member

Last year we stayed at Afon wen which was prety good for access to Antur ( although rained the day we were going to do uplifts ), Snowdon & Penmachno. There was no BBQor open fire though..

cubemeup
    Free Member

Do FoD, drive and sleep in the pods at cwmcarn then down to afan then drive up and do climax trail and stay over night in mid wales after that take a trip up to CYB and stiniog in about 30min from there. Also take the trip then over to llandegla or try snowdon. Nice loop with a bit of everything. Antur stiniog is a great uplift venue. What bikes u pair riding

tymbian
    Free Member

We’re both on hard-tails. I’ll have a MKII Bfe built up by then and I’ll pass my Savage Raptor HT on to my son.

FieldMarshall

Plenty of campsites in Wales that allow fires.

Try ukcampsite;

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

cubemeup
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with antur then fella

tymbian
    Free Member

@cubemeup..how come? Doesn’t look that bad.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Superb campsite 30 mins drive from coed y brenin at cae du. It’s on the coast just morth of tywyn, stunning views of the whole of cardigan bay and the llyn peninsula.

They have fire pits and sell home reared lamb burgers.

A great place to watch the sunset over the sea after a good days riding…

tymbian
    Free Member

^^ now that sounds more like it…

tymbian
    Free Member
    cubemeup
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say Antur stiniog is the place to ride a hardtail iv bn there twice and thought my nomad coped well

rusty90
    Free Member

Try Llyn Gwynant. Lovely spot at the foot of Snowdon and run by very nice people. My daughter got married there on a hot sunny summers day (weather not guaranteed!)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

+1 for Llyn Gwynant.
    They provide fire pits and logs, no music allowed unless made on instruments (excepting drums and bongos).
    Great smell of woodsmoke in the evenings.
    They were building a new toilet/showerblock last t ime I was there so should be lush now.

EDIT: Shell Island can get a bit noisy, it’s not referred to as Shell Suit Island in the summer for nothing.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ Roger the…Wasn’t really for me when I clicked on the link and saw a picture of some syncronised pot-washing. I’ll take a look at Llyn Gwynant.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Graig Wen is a great spot on the Mawddach Estuary – incredible views, close to the coast, handy for CyB, Mach and you can ride Cadair Idris from the site. Also right on the Mawddach trail – nice pub a few minutes ride upriver, or you can head across the bridge to Barmouth in the other.

Pretty sure they allow fires in the lower field (Great composting loo with a view!). Also have Yurts and self catering accommodation on site.

Home

Scapegoat

I’m looking to take my son ( 15 ) to wales for some quality time on and off bikes. I’ld like to do Fod on the way to Afan, Cwm carn and the head up north to Antur stiniog, Snowdon, Penmachno, Coed Y, Nant y … I have a tent but if anyone can recommend Pods and the such if they’re not to dear.

Must haves are Trails & fun and in the evenings a cold beer or two, Would love to have BBQ’s open fire ( or fire pit ) good Banter..

Any suggestions??
    Anyone like-minded looking for the same. time-wise I’m pretty flexible as self-employed but it must co-incide with the summer hols

Had a great weekend in North Wales with my lad last September. Fished and biked. He’s the same age as your lad…. if your offer of “like-minded” is genuine, then, yes, we could be up for joining you.

We stayed on a campsite near Old Colwyn and rode the Marin and ‘Degla. I’ll see if I can find the campsite details.

kayak23

+1 for Graig Wen. Stayed there over May bank holiday. Had awesome camp fires, rode up Cadair Idris, did a great loop to Pont Scethin too. It’s near Coed y Brenin too, Nant and Mach are not too far away either. Barmouth nearby to cycle to for some beach time…

tymbian
    Free Member

@ scapegoat..offer stands. I got your email and will be in touch soon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t forget the natural riding, to me a big day out with an OS map, a bit of “where the f are we”, lunch on the trail is what it’s all about. Plenty of that around Brecons (Gap ride or Crickhowell loop) or Black Mountains (featrued in magazine) or Snowden working around the voluntary ban (ie walk up ride down after 5 or whenever). I’ve only walked in the Gower but the magazine did a ride around Rhoshilli where the views are magnificent over the beach and sea.

tymbian
    Free Member

Don’t have a problem with natural riding. Having someone that knows where they’re going is a bonus so as there’s no wasting time or even being caught out being miles from home, fading light with kids in tow.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Father & son, 4 – 5 days, Wales.. advice please’ is closed to new replies.