Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • FAT32 formatting with Windows 7
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Need to reformat my external hard drive in FAT 32 format so I can back up the PS3 prior to swopping its hard drive
    Anyone recommend any free easy to use formatting software that works with Windows 7 as Windows cant format in FAT32 above a certain size

edit sorted it now – http://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32&lang_id=1&basic_search_form_submit.x=0&basic_search_form_submit.y=0

dan1980
    Free Member

Windows should be capable of formatting the drive in fat32 up to 8 terabytes. You’ll need to can use the command prompt format tool.

Go to accessories and right click on CMD and select run as administrator.

type in

format <drive leter> /fs:fat32

The limitation that I’m aware of, of “windows” not being able to format drives over 32GB) I believe only applies to the installation, although if I’m wrong, then I’ve at least learned something today!

If you’re still having problems, use EASUS partition manager to format the external drive.

edited as I was wrong!

iain1775
    Free Member

dan I think your right, but it takes ages and has mixed results from what I read
    Anyway sorted it now with Verbatim FAT32 formatter, took all of 20 seconds to format 250gb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘FAT32 formatting with Windows 7’ is closed to new replies.