Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Angry walker alert
  • BoardinBob

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/crown_estate_wheels_out_mountain_bike_trails_plan_1_2005493

Mjvande doesn’t like us… 😆

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1994: http:mjvande.nfshost.commtb10.htm . It’s dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don’t have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else — ON FOOT! Why isn’t that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking…. A favorite myth of mountain bikers is that mountain biking is no more harmful to wildlife, people, and the environment than hiking, and that science supports that view. Of course, it’s not true. To settle the matter once and for all, I read all of the research they cited, and wrote a review of the research on mountain biking impacts (see http:mjvande.nfshost.comscb7.htm ). I found that of the seven studies they cited, (1) all were written by mountain bikers, and (2) in every case, the authors misinterpreted their own data, in order to come to the conclusion that they favored. They also studiously avoided mentioning another scientific study (Wisdom et al) which did not favor mountain biking, and came to the opposite conclusions. Those were all experimental studies. Two other studies (by White et al and by Jeff Marion) used a survey design, which is inherently incapable of answering that question (comparing hiking with mountain biking). I only mention them because mountain bikers often cite them, but scientifically, they are worthless. Mountain biking accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills small animals and plants on and next to the trail, drives wildlife and other trail users out of the area, and, worst of all, teaches kids that the rough treatment of nature is okay (it’s NOT!). What’s good about THAT? For more information: http:mjvande.nfshost.commtbfaq.htm .

BoardinBob
    lucien

Oh dear, I’ve possibly killed small animals….. 😯

BoardinBob

lucien – Member

Oh dear, I’ve possibly killed small animals…..

highclimber
    Free Member

toasted squirrel anyone?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looks like a grey, therefore vermin, good kill.

BoardinBob
    Drac
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get ’em telt Druidh

lucien

Oh the guilt, I best stop riding before I do any more damage and take up walking everywhere….

Militant_biker

Michael J. Vandeman is a prime berk. He’s been spouting the same stuff for years, to the same response. I used to bait him via email under a number of different personas when I was at Uni. Wasted hours of his time. 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They are several dozen items of food short of a rubbish picnic. They also dont seem to appreciate that federal law doesn’t apply to scotland.

druidh
    Free Member

I bet he googles his name. With any luck, he’ll pop up here in a few minutes….

Drac

I bet he googles his name. With any luck, he’ll pop up here in a few minutes….

I’m amazed he never has.

druidh
    Free Member

Who – Mike Vandeman????

You’d think that with a name like Mike Vandeman it would be easy to find in google just by typing in “Mike Vandeman”

Drac

Drac

Amos
    Free Member

At mike vandeman

ooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo

Someone’s tired!

proteus
    Free Member

some old goat spouting ill informed bollocks about a subject he knows nothing about.

should fit in just fine around here…

racefaceec90

what a tool ( mike vandeman) 😡

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Mjvande sounds like Myfanwy. Could Mjvande be the only mountain bike hater in the village and look very similar to this?

oxym0r0n

WARNING: It is probably impossible to understand my web page, if you own a car.
    Or a mountain bike.

debaser

He’s been at it – consistently and tediously – for over a decade.

Or a mountain bike.

🙄

Militant_biker

If he showed up here would he stand a chance against our Big Hitters?

Northwind

Well, that comment thread took an unexpected turn… Hope he doesn’t fly over and saw me for daring to be pro-bike :mrgreen:

grahamh
    Free Member

Last I heard, he’s in the nick, for threatning some mountain bikers.

allthepies
    Free Member

He sounds mentally disturbed.

trailmonkey

just another conservation nazi

there’s no shortage of the same attitude on here. it just finds different ways to manifest itself.

read the cairngorm thread etc

Mal-ec
    Free Member

🙂

Or a mountain bike.

To be fair layout, writing style + witless badgering rantings make it impossible to understand if you own eyes or a brain.

For a self proclaimed academic hes none too bright.
    MJ Vanderman really is an obsessive prize nudger.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member

just another conservation nazi

there’s no shortage of the same attitude on here. it just finds different ways to manifest itself.

read the cairngorm thread etc

godwins law?

Come on trail monkey – that cairngorm thread was a decent adult debate and led to me softening my attitude greatly on the subject.

trailmonkey

good, then i’m sure you’ll be able to affirm that there are lots of similar attitudes on here then.

see, we don’t always disagree tj 😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If he showed up here would he stand a chance against our Big Hitters?

I believe that he showed up on MTBR (USA forum) a few years ago and got completely taken apart before losing it and getting the ban-hammer.

athgray
    Free Member

Having moved to mountain biking from climbing/hiking in the last year, I must say I have never done as much damage to the environment as when I have been on foot in the hills. I can cycle the Tweed Valley straight from the house, but pump out tonnes of CO2 on my 300 mile round trips to the Highlands. After recent snowfall I may ditch my Kona Cindercone path wrecker and head to Fort William for a dander up Ben Nevis this weekend. I may add to my collection of road kill (pheasants, rabbits, pigeons, frogs, hopefully not deer)before strapping on a pair of crampons and permanently scraping the rock. I may also rip out quantities of turf with my ice axes as well as destroy vegetation whilst stamping out a belay ledge. Good day all round. Perhaps he may say that climbers can come into the hills but without climbing equipment.
    This so called academic is completely biased, not living in the real world and sounds like a bit of an arse. If managed correctly there can be room for everyone in the countryside. I think to say that the freedom of the hills is for some but not for others is a bit elitist!!

beej

Wow, I remember him from alt.rec.mountainbiking (I think), when Usenet was king. Well known back then for anti-MTB rantings.

TJ could have him.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights.

replace bicycles with shoes, maps, bras, marsbars, anything else you have a dislike to and vanderman’s argument still holds. vanderman doesn’t like it so it should be banned.

I don’t like bieber. can we ban bieber?

Drac

alt.rec.mountainbiking

Yup think that was it, seems so long ago.

meehaja
    Free Member

if he creates areas of nature that are completely off limits to all people, how will he know if nature is succeding there?

Everything causes some negative effects, ultimately mountain bikes are more environmentally acceptable than MX bikes or quads on trails?

Anyway, I can ride anywhere I like because I pick up litter and don’t skid.

meehaja
    Free Member

double post

robsoctane
    Free Member

can we ban bieber?

yes please!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Angry walker alert’ is closed to new replies.