Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • fat cross tyres
  • fenboy

currently use conti twister 32's want something with more volume. looking at maxxis raze as they look fatter and are cheap any experiences?

what recommendations

schwalbes racing ralphs? conti 35c speedkings? any of the michelin ones come up big??

MrAgreeable

Maxxis Locust are tough, grippy and available in 35c. Conti Speedkings are a bit fragile and puncture-prone IME.

samuri
    Free Member

Twister 38's?

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got bonty xr 1.8 if you can fit them in 😉

fenboy

man thats crazy talk!!

firestarter
    Free Member

oh aye 😉 and only £35 a pair at chevin cycles in otley

Sam

Really like the Maxxis tyres, Locusts are certainly much higher volume than Razes. Racing Ralphs are also excellent, but will wear very quickly if they see much tarmac, which at the price is not very desirable….

fenboy

locusts look like they might hold a bit of gloop compared to the razes?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Schwalbe Land Cruiser – cheap, much prefer them to RR's on mixed road/off road riding, not sure of their wet performance but they've worked brilliantly over the last few weeks down south in the dry

Land cruisers come in 35c or 40c

Sam

locusts look like they might hold a bit of gloop compared to the razes?

Definitely, but if you are looking for a tyre which is good in mud why are you looking for more volume?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Locusts are grippier than raze, but more prone to clogging in the wrong type of mud I think. They are a bit bigger volume than raze.

Raze are much faster rolling

I have a set of both Raze and locust and the locust have not been on the bike since I got the Raze about a year ago

fenboy

looking for something with a larger volume for a bit more cushioning as I am of the larger persuasion but still want the benefits of no clogging fastish rolling etc. just scaling up! not after specific mud tyre as we don't get much really sticky stuff in fife

Sam

Dugast Rhino XL in 45 in that case 😉

fenboy

sheesh more crazy talk!! i'll go with the razes! you keep yer monstercross madness under wraps!!

traildog
    Free Member

I don't think any cross tyre is going to be that comfy? I'd personnally get some Landcruisers and run them at a low pressure.
    I don't have a huge amount of experience of cross tyres, only Landcruisers and Michelin Muds. Landcruisers are bomb proof but not the best feel to them. Surprisingly grippy though considering the design and also last a good mileage.
    The Michelin muds are my race tyre and have a nice fast springy feel, but are not solid and I wouldn't recommend taking them anywhere near rocks.

I'm actually after something thin as I always suffer from the bike clogging up in the last 10 minutes of a race and I don't have a spare to swap to.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Is that a Peregrine? whatever I love that bike

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Conti Speedkings are a bit fragile and puncture-prone IME.

Aye, complete pap.

*shakes fist at speedkrapps*

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Just looking at that Surly makes me want to change the Jake for a cross check, thats some tyre clearance.

Would I need wider rims than just normal road rims?

acjim
    Free Member

specialized borough come in big sizes (up to 42) and are surprisingly grippy

firestarter
    Free Member

open pros on mine mate

RestlessNative
    Free Member

hmmmm cheers mick, off to do some googling 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

lol 😉 rides great by the way and no tyre – toe interface 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I'm on conti speed kings (35mm) which I run at 85psi (I'm 16 stone…) and I haven't had a pinch flat in a long time (I'm going to get a series of them now, of course…). I've been very happy with the three sets I've used in the last few years and they seem pretty puncture resistant to me.

AdamM
    Free Member

rides great by the way and no tyre – toe interface

Unless you have mudguards fitted. 😀

I like the look of the panaracer Cindercross. Anyone ridden them?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hey Mick,

Do you have both the Bontrager Jones XR 29er 1.8 front and rear ?

Does the rear have more of a square profile ? Or are they both pretty round ?

firestarter
    Free Member

adam i actually fitted these with the guards but decided against it lol i run land cruisers at 35mm with guards tho

oh adam did you ever find that datatag stuff by the way ?

scu98rkr they are the front rear specific ones fitted and the front does have a bit more of a squared profile to look at i think. treads are quite different too

got em here cheap http://www.chevincycles.com/products.php?plid=m29b0s380p5750&z=4799

AdamM
    Free Member

oh adam did you ever find that datatag stuff by the way ?

Yes! But have misplaced it in the shed again… I will get this to you Mick, really!

firestarter
    Free Member

lol no worries just be good to have as its all labelled up lol loving it by the way 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

for the op ive been waiting on crc getting some tyres in and ive just had the mail to tell me these are in stock now Continental Cyclo X Tyre 42mm 2009

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39396

AdamM
    Free Member

Mick, you have no idea how much I regret selling the Cross Check. At the time, I needed the cash and it paid for my Peregrine which is a better overall match, but I'd love to still have this built up as a singlespeed cross bike with cantilevers etc. 🙁

firestarter
    Free Member

and i wanted a peregrine but couldnt afford it madness i had to sell my swift to raise funds tho and i really didnt want to so know how you feel mate ;-( i was gonna ss it myself but kinda like the bigger gears for the road sections. im gonna do some investigating tho i my double speed it lol

Starrman28
    Free Member

I used these for some time, they're pretty fast with good grip in most conditions expect gloop. Only use Landcruisers for Three Peaks, too heavy for anything else.
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/108018.html

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘fat cross tyres’ is closed to new replies.