Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fat Bike rim tougher than a Rolling Darryl
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi folks,

I am having issue with rear wheel on my Mukluk.

Seem to be going through rolling Darryl rims at an expensive rate.

Mukluk has blutos and Bud on the front, and I think with my riding style I may be writing cheques with the front that the rear cannot cash! Issue is some pretty big flat spots on the rim that can’t be trued. On my third rim now and on yesterdays ride looks like I’ve buggered that one.

Anything stronger out there?

Also trashed the standard hubs in short order, but the fatsnos are a great improvement.

FWIW – on the same terrain I also ride a 29er HT with bog standard Halo wheels (about 6 years old) with Ardents – never had a problem. So its not just my riding style, honest!

big_scot_nanny

Should maybe mention have a Nate on the back.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I want someone to try the DT Swiss BR710.

They look great on the full wheelset but my LBS won’t enetertain building a wheel with them.

nedrapier

I hired a mukluk for a couple of days. very rocky trails. I has so much fun. Probably a bit too much fun. shop guy wasn’t too happy with the flat spots on the Darryls, and asked for some time to think before he gave me my deposit back.

Bit of judicious hammer/wood block work later, and they were looking a lot better. He gave me the full lot back, but he was obviously concerned about how this was going to go in future – this was the bike’s first outing. I do wonder how long the rim lasted after me.

I also don’t tend to break stuff.

nedrapier

Why not, Scott?

Edit: to be fair, it does look complicated:

STATO
    Free Member

Isnt the daryl supposed to be the strongest wide alu rim anyway!? Deep section carbon or heavier old Marge double wall probably the best option. But really current rims are not designed for hooning.

Clobber
    Free Member

Those nextie jobbies look nice

clubby

The dilemma of fat tyres. Run them low for grip but they bottom out badly in rocky terrain. Pump them up harder and they deal with hits better but bounce like a space hopper.
    Less of an issue on a normal bike as you’re usually running much higher pressures. Try your 29er at 8psi and see how long the rims last.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My On-One rims are taking one hell of a beating without damage, sideways landings, flat landings, square edged roots (there are no rocks in Surrey) but then I don’t think I bottom the tyre out very often (the tyre loses it’s shape in fast corners before it gets that soft).

Not light, tubeless is a faff and you have to drill them yourself are the downsides.

big_scot_nanny

yeah, its a fair comment the air pressure. I was running things at about 8psi, and whilst the grip and cush were awesome, that really comprimised the first rim quickly.

Now at about 12psi, still just enough cush and grip, and still whacking through rims.

Would the nextie jobs survive better?

big_scot_nanny

I will add again, its not like when I whang a ‘normal’ rim, as that is usually quite an obvious WHACK usually followed by the hiss of escaping air. I’m not getting that kind of impact. And 12psi is a lot.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

to be fair, it does look complicated

I think the Rolls Royce BR710 is a little more overbuilt than the DT Swiss version.

I think they are a bit tense about Fat wheels. But I want to speak to the wheelbuilder personally before naming them as they are generally one of the best LBS’s around.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And 12psi is a lot.

Depends who you are and where you ride, I’ve less need for ‘float’ as although the soil is sandy the deep bits are further between, and I’m probably 110kg (with shoes, clothing, backpack, helmet, etc etc).

Someone 60kg would be half that pressure, riding on snow halved again.

scotroutes

I run around 12psi unless it’s sand or is going to be extremely boggy.

tomhoward

Are the Spesh fat rims just rebranded DTs (they certainly look like it)? if so I’ve had mine a year now, no problems at all.

The-Duke

The rims on my fatboy have taken a decent amount of abuse with no issues so far, not sure if specialized sell the rim only though. How do you find the bluto on the front, was thinking of upgrading but not sure its worth the cost as I’d need to rebuild the front wheel to a new hub as well.

big_scot_nanny

Blutos are great. A surprising difference. Makes me faster on repeated bigger hits, hence issues with rear wheel! 🙂

I have ones with the remote lockout, which is a fantastic addition that I use a lot.

Fits a Bud on a rolling darryl no bother.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Got a couple of BR710’s sat at home waiting to be built up. They’re replacing a pair or holy darryls but to be fair i’m 95kg and have put a hell of a lot of miles in them. rear is still fine but the front had caught a rock or two and wasn’t totally true. I’ve been happy with them to be fair.

Looking forward to getting the 710’s built up though!

Andy

What about something a bit narrower, but more Bomb proof. What about the Hugo, or the old trials rims people used to use when rims where a bit scarce?

Edit: onza or Kris Holm ?

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Bucksaw on 80mm Chinese carbon rims here and no issues, and I’m a trail hoonigan. It’s taken a beating for the 100mm bounce it has.

Give Charlie The Bikemonger a call, he might have a frame in stock.

russyh
    Free Member

I have a set of 710’s runnign on Hope Fatsno hubs, built by Slam man with decent spokes (cant remember which ones) and brass nipples. I run Nates front and rear and Bluto upfront on an OOF. I am about 90kg in riding kit and a rider thats pretty hard on kit. My BR710’s have not skipped a beat. Rims are perfect, hub is bomb proof. Even with lighter summer tyres i have not had a problem. Worth the money i have to say and the build quality of the product is second to none!

Sadly the bike is of the trails at the moment as i trashed the rear mech following an off. But i will continue to give them a kicking throughout the winter now!

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Running robsson 80mm rims, tough but heavy.

If you don’t mind the weight they are the way to go.

I ended up running over my front wheel with a nissan micra, the sidewall is dented a little but it’s still true and ridable 😀

hofnar
    Free Member

I have 47mm rims Trialtech SL from tarty bikes they seem to have a 2015 model now I have the older one. Now use Bonz rims as that what my neighbour stocks.

I am hard on material as I do enduro’s and hard terrain with my fatbike. I can not break the 47mm rims.

I did break a 37mm front rim but that’s when I accidentally used it without a tyre(make sure the tubeless latex is dry)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Are the Spesh fat rims just rebranded DTs

No. Although very similar, the profile on the DT710 is different. The cutouts are suspiciously similar, so I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they are done in the same factory.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bike rim tougher than a Rolling Darryl’ is closed to new replies.