Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fast Yari up vs Novyparts Splug vs charger?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I added a charger 2.1 to the Yari on my big bike and have another Yari on my Cortex. Looking to upgrade the damper on this one and can’t decide which way to go. Not that many reviews around on the first two, anyone done this recently?

dirkpitt74

Would be interested in knowing this too.
    I was leaning more towards the Yariup – cheaper than the Charger RC2 (although same price as the RCT3) but seems more geared towards e-bike kind of weights (although my Mega isn’t exactly light…).

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve got the YariUp in my fork, along with a smashpot coil.

The damper seems to work ok, but I’m struggling to get the fork Dialed as a whole. Not sure if it’s the damper or the combination of this and the coil.

The fork seems pretty controlled in the mid stroke, but the low speed control is barely noticeable from full open to closed. Might be the coil spring weight is overcoming the damping circuit (as I’m a biffa and need the heaviest spring weight). The smashpot also means the bottom out control is not really needed.

I’m not able to compare it to the charger tho’ as I’ve got marzocchi and Ohlins on my other bikes.

Overall tho’ seems to work well. I’m experimenting with oil weight changes right now to see if that makes a difference.

joebristol

I spent a while considering the other dampers you mentioned before going charger 2 in my Yari a while back.

Couldn’t find much about either from anyone actually running one. TF Tuned don’t do the Novy one but they recommended the charger over the Fast option when I spoke to them.

Maybe it depends if you are a suspension fiddler or not. The YariUp has more adjustment than my rct3 charger 2 but I wasn’t convinced I’d make the most of thy at benefit. I believe it remains an emulsion damper so (at least in theory) it’s more likely to get unpredictable on really fast rough trails due to foaming of the damper fluids.

dirkpitt74

Hmmm Charger 2.1 Damper available from bike-discount – RC2 for £224 and RCT3 for £170.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Unless there are any compelling reasons otherwise I will just go charger.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Couldn’t find much about either from anyone actually running one. TF Tuned don’t do the Novy one but they recommended the charger over the Fast option when I spoke to them.

Maybe it depends if you are a suspension fiddler or not. The YariUp has more adjustment than my rct3 charger 2 but I wasn’t convinced I’d make the most of thy at benefit. I believe it remains an emulsion damper so (at least in theory) it’s more likely to get unpredictable on really fast rough trails due to foaming of the damper fluids.

Fast make 2 different dampers, one (yari-up, rev-up) is an upgrade for the motion control and just screws in the top cap like the MC damper. The other (more expensive) is more like the charger and replaces the entire shaft.

I’m not convinced by the need for IFP’s and bladders, we survived for years with “emulsion” dampers, without knowing that they were apparently awful. And whenever one get’s reviewed, no one notices it (when was the last time someone reviewed a fork and said it lost damping by the bottom of the hill which is what IFP’s prevent).

Just got one of the 35’s, so it’ll be interesting to see how I get on with the basic damper as my last fork was a Lyric RC2 which was amazing. Figure that as it’s a hardtail this time that really any limitations will be easier to ride around and the back end is more limited anyway!

Bagstard
    Free Member

What attracts me to the non charger options is they seem much more user serviceable and the easier it is, the more often you are likely to do it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fast Yari up vs Novyparts Splug vs charger?’ is closed to new replies.