Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fast tyres
  • pingu66
    Free Member

Looking for some recomendations on cheap slick 29er tyres as I have let myself get talked into a LONG ride

I have “volunteered” to ride 170 miles in 2 days over the TPC and hope someone can recomend some cheap slicks or semi slicks for the 2 days as welll as any other advise.

nedrapier

You might want to look at comfy as well as fast. A light 32 or 35c will roll nearly as well as a smaller tire, and won’t beat you up as much.

Just got 35c Vittorio Hyper Randonneur tyres from wiggle and I’m very happy with them. Not “cheap” though.

Edit: don’t know what the TPC is though. Hang on…

Edit again: Nope. No idea from google? Trans pennine something? Trans Pyrennean Chemin? Not The Peace Cycle London – Jerusalem, that’s a slice more that 170miles!

pingu66
    Free Member

Thanks ned, thinking 35c may be too narrow on my 29er rims? TPC should be TPT = Trans Penine Trail.

nedrapier

So off-road then; hats off and good luck! I saw 170 and assumed road!

No idea what the trail’s like, so not really in a position to help, sorry.

footflaps

Racing Ralphs – pretty good on everything bar thick mud and fast rolling.

pingu66
    Free Member

I have Specialized Fast track front and Renegade rear which have a similar tread to Racing Ralphs. Was thinking of splashing £50 on sone slicks as its mainly track not alot of rough stuff. Training on canals at the moment and getting an OK speed average 13mph but if I can get 15mpf will shave an hour or so off the duration and effort obviously.

thomthumb
    Free Member

racing ralph 2.4 my favourite tyre going. fast & comfy.

WTB vulpine is v. fast if you can guarantee dry.

pingu66
    Free Member

Oh if you would like to donate just go here http://www.justgiving.com/PeteNugent

The cause is Halton Haven Hospice a palliative care unit for cancer sufferers. Even if its only quid.

njee20
    Free Member

racing ralph 2.4 my favourite tyre going. fast & comfy.

2.4″s fast? 2.1s maybe. 😕

I’d go something like Sammy Slicks or Conti Double Fighters, unless you want a tyre that’s still usable for ‘proper’ riding, in which case Racing Ralphs are excellent.

IA

Ditto the above suggestion of sammy slicks, get me to/from work every day on a road/towpath/singletrack mixture. Better than you’d think* in the mud too.

*you’d think they’d be awful mind… 😉

footflaps

Seen this: http://www.schwalbetires.com/wider_faster_page

“Higher pressure was only faster on the road. Off-road rolling resistance was lower, the wider the tire and the lower the pressure. This was similarly true for dirt tracks, soft forest roads or cross-country and up to 40 Watts could be saved in extreme off-road conditions; poor acceleration caused by higher tire weight being generally compensated for. Explanation: A tire at low inflation pressure adapts better to uneven surfaces. It sinks into the ground less. Overall it suffers less retardation.

Narrow tires are only recommendable for lightweight riders, weight saving or extremely muddy trails. ”

njee20
    Free Member

That’s a highly theoretical test which ignores a huge number of real world factors.

But yes, follow that link, then buy a fat bike and run at 5psi, they’re most efficient.

Clobber
    Free Member
    pingu66
    Free Member

The Sammy Slicks would be too narrow for my rims, 24mm internal width.

Lots of good suggestions.

http://www.justgiving.com/PeteNugent

weeksy

Maxxis Aspen really mate for a 29er that’s light, fast rolling but also has a bit of grip should you need it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fast tyres’ is closed to new replies.