Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Fast aggressive rear summer tyre
  • Kamakazie

Bontrager XR3 or SE3 if you want it a bit tougher?

Not as fast as the others mentioned but pretty good for a UK summer.

Neb

I prefer the doubledown aggressor to the tough 2.2 trail boss, it lighter, rolls about the same but corners much better.

I found the trail boss a little small and to get the cornering grip had to lower the air pressure too much. I’ve a few dents in the rim to show for it…

The aggressor seems a really good match to the minion dhf on the front, which isn’t a surprise at all as that’s what it was designed for.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use a 2.4 TB, And there’s no way on earth the aggressor has tougher sidewalls, even the DD.

poah
    Free Member

I really like the slaughter on most surfaces other than grass or gloop. Currently running a DHR2 on the rear though. Would probably consider the aggressor if i could find it cheap enough in 26. I wouldn’t use anything like a semi slick or aggressor off piste though.

zelak999
    Free Member

Tried a minion ss. It was great when we had the dry weather but just not grippy enough for me in the damp conditions.
    Gone back to the DHR ii which has awesome grip and I don’t think rolls much slower than the ss.

Mackem

What does “aggressive” mean in relation to tyres?

gazp
    Free Member

WTB Vigilante upfront
    WTB Trail Boss 2.25 on the rear
    Wagon wheel size, all TCS Tough
    Loving it

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I hate to disagree with the riding God and tyre gimp Northwind but I’m liking the Slaughter I’ve just fitted. I needed to drop the pressure a bit yesterday but it worked well on the damp rocky steps on the climb up to Buzzards nest at Glentress. I’m riding everyday this week so I might hate it by Friday though

julians
    Free Member

Butcher grid on front, slaughter grid on back.

Cant beat them really (as long as you dont ride in mud). Super tough,fast rolling,no punctures.

Only downside is theyre quite heavy.

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

I hate to disagree with the riding God and tyre gimp Northwind

You got that the wrong way round.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

jodafett

Minion SS is just too narrow and square for wide rims.

I’ve just fitted an SS tonight on a 35mm internal rim and it has a lot more pronounced curve than in that photo. It poured with rain as I was fitting it so it may not be on for long!!

poah
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – Member

I hate to disagree with the riding God and tyre gimp Northwind but I’m liking the Slaughter I’ve just fitted. I needed to drop the pressure a bit yesterday but it worked well on the damp rocky steps on the climb up to Buzzards nest at Glentress. I’m riding everyday this week so I might hate it by Friday though

yip, no issues at GT in the damp with the slaughter

danceswithferrets
    Free Member

Conti F-Trailking2.4 R- X-King 2.2
    Quick and grippy, protection carcass and black chili rubber.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was running trail king apex protection tyres but found the sidewalls too vulnerable for the rocky peak riding I do. Had good results with e13 but wear is too fast.

Currently considering the DHR II WT exo or the Aggressor double down.

pedal4life
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m asking something that was said earlier because I did not read every reply theres a lot of variables but still kinda simple what rim are you running on the back of your bike I personally run 2 sizes on bike with a 35i up front with a 29i on the rear for my own rig presently theres a Minion DHF WT 27.5×2.5 Maxx Grip compound up front with a DHR2 27.5×2.3 and Maxx Terra compound out back but feel the Minion SS in the 27.5×2.3 would be better choice for the overly sun baked Singletrack of So-Cal the dirt in the upper elevations still has a touch of moisture to it so the DHR2 is staying for now.

Some of the rim makers are posting tire size ranges with there rims so you know already what tires you kinda plan to run on your rig gives you a better idea of which width of rim to use front and back and why does everybody still run the same rim front and back hi-perf cars don’t do it, hi-perf motorcycles never did it why do bicyclist put the same width rim front and back the tire makers really need to adopt this practice and give us rin sizing the gives us the best tire profile and guidleines of what to expect from a given width of rim they’ve done the testing you know they know now its time to get them to share what they know with us. Go with the Minion SS

nxgater

I’m not at all a fan of the SS – just took it off my bike (G160RS 29mm rims). after all, when is it ever totally dry in the UK? I’ve gone to a shorty WT as I read they roll ok. seems fine so far – at least the back end is not wiggling all over the shop. if the shorty is too chunky then i’d run the DHF front and back. or DHF front DHRII WT back. i’m hopeful that the shorty will do the job.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

2.3 DHF and DHR

or

2.3 HR2 and H Dampf

I find tyre pressures make a bigger difference than tread for grip

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Northwind & Nobeer,
    How does the Trailboss Tough/Fast compare with Supergravity Hans Dampf Trailstar for durability?
    Looking for something with tougher sidewalls than the SG HD.
    Maxxis dual ply is the sort of durability benchmark I’m looking to match.

chakaping
    Free Member

How does the Trailboss Tough/Fast compare with Supergravity Hans Dampf Trailstar for durability?

Hey mate, these are my two usual rear tyres of choice, so I may be able to offer some useful insight (especially as we ride a lot of the same trails).

The WTB may be slightly stiffer in the carcass, but there’s not much in it. I one put a hole in my SG HD (at Stiniog), but have not managed to hole the WTB yet. The HD offers better grip, especially climbing. The Trail Boss has more durable tread.

The Trail Boss is a good enough balance of tread pattern, carcass & price – but never really wows you.

Saying that, if you’re subbing one in for that Magic Mary you had on the back you’re going to love the rolling speed!

Worth a try if still £30-ish at CRC anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he says ^

The trail boss works reasonably well on everything, and with the durability added in, It’s a good un. I can’t comment on how it compares to Hans dampf as I only ever tried those on the rear for a few weeks, and all the side knobs departed (was a pace star compound) and I don’t use schwalbe on the rear at all now.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Chakaping, Nobeer,
    Thanks, on those recommendations, I’ll give it a try.
    Probably overcome some of the carcase stiffness and get a bit more grip by running it a bit lower with Procore in.

submarined
    Free Member

Which TrailBoss are we talking? Tough Fast, or Tough Hi Grip?

tops5
    Free Member

WTB Riddler has served me well so far for the past couple of months

stevedoc
    Free Member

Last year I ran with a Maxxis dhf of the rear at the Ardrock ,and even though im now running a minion ss in the dry I will be swapping that out the week before this years Ard.

I found the DHF quiet fast rolling with the added bonus of not having to worry about killing it on the rocks ,something which I know the Minion ss would struggle with.

Fingers crossed no wind 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Submarined – tough fast.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Jut put my double down minion semi slick on. Will be interesting to see what its like tomorrow hopefully.

orena45

Been using a Maxxis Tomahawk Double Down on the rear the last few weeks and very happy with it on my dry dusty rocky trails.

Put a bit of a review up on blog today if you fancy a check. 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

What does “aggressive” mean in relation to tyres?

Barks at dogs.

zilog6128

Had 3 rides now with a RR SG on the back (HD pacestar up front). Wow, what a revelation! Will stick a Magic Mary on the front though next time I’m back at BPW (or anywhere else where I won’t be pedalling much)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That tomahawk looks a good compromise orena.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I ran a tomahawk, found the 3c compound fell apart on the rear.

I will probably try some Schwalbe Addix compound tyres when they are available.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Are we assuming from the info available that the bloke in charge of addix was poached from conti and addix is more or less black chilli?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Are we assuming from the info available that the bloke in charge of addix was poached from conti and addix is more or less black chilli?

Didn’t know that. What are contis like durability wise?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Black chilli compound is generally quite durable, as it doesn’t rely purely on softness for grip, its whatever magic nano particles they have in there that does the job.
    Most durability issues you see with Conti are from agro riders tearing sidewalls.

I’m certainly interested to see some reviews of the new addix tyres. If they are genuinely a step up from the current compounds i’ll definitely be keen to try a burt/ralph combo

submarined
    Free Member

Right, to bookend this, I found a Slaughter Grid for 28 quid. At half the price of most offerings from Maxxis, I figured it was worth trying. Gave it a good hammering at Friston today and very impressed, fast, yet seems to really bite when you lean it in, and it goes quite predictably when it lets go.

Will try it at BPW in a few weeks, and probably leave it on until slop starts to be an issue!

My only beef is the now mismatched tyres, ugh.

cookeaa

£28?
    Where from?

tomaso
    Free Member

I was quite taken with Slaughter grids last year and destroyed two in short succession by tearing knobs off and big gash in sidewall. Upped anti with a DH dual ply Slaughter and it was better. Then fashed that, so have gone back to High Roller dual ply and had all winter trouble free until Saturday when I cashed that on Garburn.
    Running gashed Slaughter DH with a tube. Enough grip for summer in the Lakes.

matt_outandabout

Does anyone else find that a HighRoller2 has an odd spot that appears to have no grip as you lean into it? Upright or hard leaned it is fine, slight lean = slidey….
    I’m back off to an XR4 when these wear out (which at the rate the front soft compound 3c Terra thing is tearing knob edges, won’t be long 🙁 )

mark90
    Free Member

Does anyone else find that a HighRoller2 has an odd spot that appears to have no grip as you lean into it? Upright or hard leaned it is fine, slight lean = slidey….

Some described it to me as “not a mincers* tyre”, ie you have it ride it hard and lean right over in the turns to get it to work.

* No offence Matt, I don’t like that slidey transition either 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Fast aggressive rear summer tyre’ is closed to new replies.