Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Fast aggressive rear summer tyre
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Does anyone else find that a HighRoller2 has an odd spot that appears to have no grip as you lean into it? Upright or hard leaned it is fine, slight lean = slidey

I thought this was pretty commonly accepted about most Maxxis tyres as they tend not to feature transition knobs.

Some described it to me as “not a mincers* tyre”, ie you have it ride it hard and lean right over in the turns to get it to work.

* No offence Matt, I don’t like that slidey transition either I’m definitely a mincer, and prefer transition knobs for exactly the same reason.

chiefgrooveguru

I thought this was pretty commonly accepted about most Maxxis tyres as they tend not to feature transition knobs.

It isn’t really a transition knob thing, which is why it’s not a universal thing with Maxxis tyres. I think a lot of the time a transition knob is a worse solution to the grip/slip/grip issue than an adjustment of the tyre shape, centre knob design and side knob design to change a tyre from a ‘commitment tyre’ to one that’s more tolerant of poor technique, because a transition knob can causing mud clogging.

The original High Roller is more of a commitment tyre than the High Roller 2. I wouldn’t say the Minion DHF is like this at all. The Minion DHR2 is slightly like this but not a lot. I do notice it with the HR2 – after the first sketchy corner I ride properly! 😉 The Shorty is extremely easy going, really doesn’t care if you lean it or not.

If a tyre has a clear channel between the centre and side knobs then it may require more committed riding but if the centre knobs are shaped for cornering (like a DHF or Shorty) then it’ll be pretty easy going, or if the centre knobs reach a fair distance into the channel and are still slightly shaped for cornering (like a DHR2). If the centre knobs are just made for braking and not turning (like an HR2) then you have to lean to the side knobs to make it turn.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I think a lot of the time a transition knob is a worse solution to the grip/slip/grip issue than an adjustment of the tyre shape, centre knob design and side knob design to change a tyre from a ‘commitment tyre’ to one that’s more tolerant of poor technique,

Its a bit of a trade off. Transition knobs give you fairly uniform grip over a variety of lean angles, but as you say, they do increase likelihood of clogging.
    Another alternative is to square the tyre up so it puts its edge knobs down earlier, but this runs the risk of washing out at bigger lean angles.

Ultimately, I think its good we have a choice of manufacturers that have different design ideas and goals so we can all learn what we like and pick accordingly.

stevied
    Free Member

Had a few rides on the DD Tomahawk now and I’m very happy with it.
    Nice and fast rolling, decent bite when you crank it over and good climbing grip on tech climbs. Feels very robust too 🙂

matt_outandabout

“not a mincers* tyre”

I’m quite comfortable being Mincer McMinceface. 😀

submarined
    Free Member

Another test last friday at BPW. DHF/Slaughter combo in the dry and relatively loose/dusty. Slaughter was brilliant – Arguably grippier than the DHF which pushed wide a bit on some of the looser corners! Fast, held on at lowish pressures, dug in nicely, and stayed intact and undamaged on a whole variety of reds and blacks.
    Will get a DHR for the winter and that’s me happy!
    Would thoroughly recommend.

Similarly, my friend was running a Magic Mary/Minion SS combo on his Jeffsy 29 with the stock, relatively narrow rims, and was equally happy. However, it did reinforce my suspicion that I wouldn’t have wanted to stick that Minion SS on a 30mm that’s for sure.

chiefgrooveguru

So it seems they changed the Minion SS late last year. Old on left, new on right:

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/maxxis-minion-ss-tire

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Fast aggressive rear summer tyre’ is closed to new replies.