Faslane

Home Forum Chat Forum Faslane

Viewing 25 posts - 181 through 205 (of 205 total)
  • Faslane
  • One defence source said: “It would cost a huge amount of money, running into tens of billions of pounds, to decommission Faslane. Those costs would be factored into any negotiations on an independence settlement. The sovereign base area is an option. It is an interesting idea because the costs of moving out of Faslane are eye-wateringly high.”

Ok, I read that slightly differently to “annexing”. Any way, we shall see. An interesting topic….

gordimhor

Zokes there are 25 ‘leeches’in Nato. Or should I say 25 non nuclear Nato members.

zokes

Zokes there are 25 ‘leeches’in Nato. Or should I say 25 non nuclear Nato members.

But you’re not only talking about nukes. You’re also talking about having a small coastal defence farce in lieu of a navy. One assumes therefore that you’d rather the larger navies of your NATO allies made sure your defence farce wasn’t troubled too much

gordimhor

There’s an established precedent for that Iceland for example has a coast guard but no army.

zokes

There’s an established precedent for that Iceland for example has a coast guard but no army.

And a socking great US base

bencooper

Keflavik? Closed in 2006, they’re now using the bunkers for concerts and the like.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Sounds like a good idea, looking forward to T In The Bunker.

And yes, as discussed above it’s not at all likely that Scotland will be an EU “taker”, as we’ll be a pretty wealthy country per cap.

NATO isn’t really as simple, what constitutes a “NATO leach” in your book?

Junkyard

They wouldn’t be direct leeches, so in the context of the point I was making, yes.

Yes but ignoring your point do you think they would be better off leaving ? Answering that would answer my point about you using it either way.
    Nice politicians answer though 😉

Maybe Sturgeon is beyond that kind of thing (no bargaining are her words) and is a politician of principle!?!

Yes that would seem likely

Frankly, the give-away recently is when the SNP try to hide behind the “Westminster is trying to bully the Scots” argument. This card is usually played when their lack of joined-up thinking (EU, £, Central Banks etc) has been exposed. So my gut feel is that this is another issue that needs to be resolved properly. Hence, it is good IMO that Faslane is bought correctly into open debate.

I do agree in general but the problem is the current pro union govt will not bee seen as negotiating for the break up pre vote. It would be better practically to sort out many of the complicated issues to aid an informed choice and preparations made for either eventuality.
    Give it is politicians there is no hope of that and then a rushed botched mess will ensue if devolution is the choice which helps neither country

who will own the oil in the north sea?

Junkyard

who will own the channel tunnel?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

compositepro wrote:

who will own the oil in the north sea?

IIRC about 90% is in Scottish waters and the gas is mostly in English waters.

IIRC about 90% is in Scottish waters and the gas is mostly in English waters.

expect invasion soon then…though it might be an insidious government led attack no one saw coming

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Yep. All that oil and WMDs – I’d expect nothing less 🙂

b r

The defence budget according to yes campaign figures would be between 2.8 and 3.3 billion.

So a £1000 per taxpayer?

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/06/22160331/7

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

b wrote:

The defence budget according to yes campaign figures would be between 2.8 and 3.3 billion.
    So a £1000 per taxpayer?

About that I guess. How much do you think the UK currently spends per taxpayer?

These figures are usually compared on a %age of GDP.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

piemonster

I’m trying to think of what Scotland would want with Trident and a big ass blue water navy.

Struggling to think of anything to be honest. Invading the Faroes perhaps?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Swollen wrote:

I’m trying to think of what Scotland would want with Trident and a big ass blue water navy.

Don’t forget that aircraft carrier we’re currently building!

piemonster

Those Faroese are gonna get the butts kicked.

To be fair, probably only need one of those carriers. Could sell the other one to a neutral country like Argentina.

gordimhor

Would that be the aircraft carrier we won’t have any suitable aircraft for till 4 or 5 years after it’s completed? 😆

piemonster

Yes that’s the one. But if we are invading the Faroes some light aircraft and hand grenades would do the job.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Couldn’t we just pile up some flatties on deck and skim them into submission?

piemonster

Well, on balance that suggestion seems approximately as sensible as Scotland retaining a nuclear equipped blue water navy.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Junkyard – lazarus

I do agree in general but the problem is the current pro union govt will not bee seen as negotiating for the break up pre vote.

In fact, it’s been pretty clear (and unsurprising) that the government are perfectly happy to deride the Yes campaign for not giving solid answers, while simultaneously withholding the essential information needed to give said answers, and releasing scare stories and dubious “facts” instead.

bencooper

A seat on the Security Council, and the chance to randomly threaten England whenever we have had a few drinks – what’s not to like?

Looking at it that way, no way are you getting the nukes back, we’re keeping them 😉

piemonster

Im not convinced the UK will retain that seat in the decades to come, at least not with it’s current level of influence.

And t be honest, as mentioned before in the thread id prefer that target being a bit further away. I reckon Lulworth Cove would be a good spot.

Viewing 25 posts - 181 through 205 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘Faslane’ is closed to new replies.