Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Fans (home cooling variety)
  • b33k34

Anyone got any recommendations? We’ve got 3 Honeywell tower fans (bought from Amazon). One’s already a warranty replacement. Another just failed. Electronics seem to just give up after just over a year. (bought another last time and sent an older one back). they’re about £60.

Alternatives are a load of unknown brands up to about £100 then the Dyson at £330

Any recommendations? Trying to buy well made stuff is so difficulty these days – Theres a review on Amazon that says the Honeywells used to be made in Switzerland. Then suddenly they come from China and look the same but are worse in every way.

wheelie

Meaco 1056. Quiet 10 speeds. Up down,side to side settings too. The lowest setting at night too. Feel comfortable in mid 30’s. Smaller fans in the range.

involver
    Free Member

Another happy Meaco 1056 owner here.

Jolsa

Came here to recommend Meaco 1056, already been done by wheelie 🙂

Quiet, pushes around a lot of air, and preferred to our other Dyson AM06 fan.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Didnt mess around this year with a sick old pooch, working at home, and also the requirement to exercise more indoors. Have had plastic oscillating tower fans in the past, they usually snapped at the foot or something else went. This year needed something with a bit more oomph, reliable, and would also deal (at a push) with a big man on a turbo trainer so got an industrial fan from Screwfix. It shifts up to 7302m³/hr

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hf-45b-18-industrial-floor-fan-220-240v/754hy

Sounds like a small aircraft, but not too bad that I can’t sleep. ymmv

baboonz
    Free Member

From my experience growing up in Spain, tower fans are shit and always break. The simple and cheap fans on a stand last the longest and are most effective. However you are just moving air; so it gets to a point where the fan doesn’t do much.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cleva Vacmaster has had positive feedback for turbo sessions on bikeradar.

peekay

Could someone please explain to my otherwise perfect wife that running a fan in an empty room all day does not cool it down. If anything it heats it slightly, and wastes power. Thanks.

b33k34

Meaco looks interesting and it’s even in stock (unlike everything else)

Floor standing or desktop?

bigyan
    Free Member

Alternatives are a load of unknown brands up to about £100 then the Dyson at £330

If you are going to spend £300 you can get a 8k btu air con unit, or a 12k for £350.

wheelie

My 1056 is a non pedestal. It is purring away about 15′ from my desk on the floor. Pedestal might be useful if you have a high bed.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

it’s even in stock (unlike everything else)

I did have to collect ours from local Screwfix, they still show a few in stock locally

eskay

We have a Meaco 650 in the bedroom. Run it on setting 2/3 at night, very quiet and moves enough air to keep you cool. I did just have to return one though because it developed a clunk but they replaced it no problem.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@peekay It could help if the fan was drawing in cool air from elsewhere, such as having the rear of the blades right next to an open window, where the outside air is cooler than the room.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

where the outside air is cooler than the room.

Made that mistake last night, it was like a car-heater blowing from my window.

jairaj

Another vote for the Meaco! It was a bit more than I was willing to spend but now I’m very glad I did, very highly recommended by me after going through a few cheaper fans over the years that where either underpowered or noisy.

The Meaco is very quiet so you can keep it on while sleeping and can shift a lot air if required and I quite like the vertical and horizontal oscillation function. I like the way it bounces air around the room so even if the fan isn’t directly on you can still feel a secondary breeze.

I went all out and got the pedestal version, not really sure its worth an extra £40 over the table top one that is the same size. I’d rather save £40 and stick the table version on a small side table or stool.

My top tip: I move the fan to the bedroom ~20mins before bed time. I place it front of the open window and set it too max and it sucks in cooler air from outside and displaces the warmer stale air inside. I can genuinely feel the air temp in the room is cooler. Then when actually going to bed stick the fan on lowest setting and point it at the bed. Its super quiet and gives just enough gentle breeze to cool you.

mos

I’ve currently got something very similar to that maeco one blowing up my trouser slops & can confirm they are quite good. This one says fitfort.

lunge

Cheap Screwfix job here, had it years and it works fine.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve just ordered a https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0833Z6MGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mostly as it has a DC motor (like the Meaco 1056 which I also looked at but it’s a bit more expensive and I wanted something floor standing in the bedroom). One of the reviews gives it 1 star as being available at B&Q for £50 but the model they are talking about (which is actually currently discounted to £27) just looks similar, it doesn’t have a DC motor and is a 60w vs 30v motor so a lot more expensive to run overnight https://www.diy.com/departments/blyss-white-10-60w-desk-fan/1913027_BQ.prd )

It’s due for delivery tomorrow though so I can’t review it yet

Got a Dimplex Tower in the summer house, it’s better than the Honeywell stand jobby for shifting air

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jvg15i]2020-08-11_02-52-16[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

hatter

2 Maeco household here, they’ve been a lifesaver recently, currently working from home with the big 1056 firing at me point blank.

Also got the mid size 650 for the wee lady’s room.

They are super quiet which is the the key thing.

Will try the ‘fire it out the window for 20 minutes’ approach at bed time tonight.

hugo
    Free Member

If you are going to spend £300 you can get a 8k btu air con unit, or a 12k for £350.

Yep, living in the land of AC – our villa has 11 split ACs – spending 350 notes on a “fan” is hilarious.

Either get a standalone AC unit and shut the door/windows. Actually have a cool room not a constant breeze. Or, if you have a convenient bit of tucked away roof, then stick a split in. The DIY is pretty straightforward.

easily
    Free Member

If you are finding your fan ineffective try pointing it at your feet. That’s what my Thai friends used to do, and they swore it cools your whole body down.

sweepy
    Free Member

One of the cheap desktop ones here. Now been running non stop since the march before last and its fine. I think it was about 15 quid.

b33k34

So the Meaco turned up yesterday after the heatwave had ended but we still ran it last night.

Seems well made, works well and really impressively quiet. Good stuff.

mehr
    Free Member

Dyson airblades are fantastic

bigfoot
    Free Member

was working in a house the other day and the customer got a dyson fan out, one that can do hot or cold, and it did a better job than i thought it would at cooling the room down.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Fans (home cooling variety)’ is closed to new replies.