Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Family wagon written off before we embark on 3week road trip…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…options !

Unfortunately our Toyota Avensis estate was written off yesterday when some arse drove into it whilst it was parked outside my wife’s work – no witnesses no details left.
    Insurance wrote it off as deemed to expensive to repair.

Problem is we’re due to go away on the 25th to France for a 3 week road trip, camping cycling etc.

My car is too small to take and far to juicy on the fuel 4.2 V8 which would mean taking smaller tent no bikes, our 37year old camper van wouldn’t make the journey and nor would my back !

I don’t have time to buy a new car due to work also I like to research first and would be nervous buying a car and then taking it away for 3 weeks.
    Friend is selling her Nissan Quashed 2007 petrol auto, it’s one option I guess but no towbar for bikes – don’t know much about the quashed either.

Would be fun to take my car but would mean seroius downsizing of stuff to take and no bikes.

What would you do?? Very peed off !

falkirk-mark

Is the car actually structrally broken or is it panel damage.If panel damage you could buy from insurance company and get it motd then I think you can put it back on the road

SaxonRider

Buy the Quashqai (however it’s bloody spelt!), use it for the trip, see how you like it, and sell it when you come back, or keep it if you like it.

Only problem is the towbar issue, but what would installation be? £350?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Rear wheel bent in,every panel on passenger side is crushed as well as well as boot, looks like a truck took it out.

falkirk-mark

Sounds like too much work to buy it back. Can you borrow a car and loan yours out in exchange (someone with a short commute)

CountZero

Qashqai are good cars, my boss at work has been driving them for years, although he’s just replaced the latest one with a Range Rover, but he’s got nothing but good words for them.
    We get a lot of them through as ex-Motability cars, I’ve driven lots over the last three years, and they’re great to drive. Some have a heated screen, which is nice to have, and there’s a +2 7-seat version, although the back pair of seats are really only for small children!
    Personally, given the very small range of options, if you can afford the Qashqai then I’d go for it, it’s likely to be cheaper than hiring a car for three weeks!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If you’re going to have to replace the Avensis,why don’t you buy the replacement car & take that?

tomd
    Free Member

I would take it as an opportunity to plan a new and exciting holiday. If you have your health, 3 weeks off, a family and some cash to spend you have all the makings of a great holiday.

It is massively shit that your car got damaged like that, I’ve been there and it’s infuriating. Shit has happened, you’re now in control of how much of an impact it has.

Kryton57

Couldn’t you bung her some cash and “rent” the quashqui?

cp

Buying the qashquai and either keeping it or selling it on after seems like a good option to me.

As it’s an 07 plate I assume they won’t be wanting much for it? Do a good price and flog it for more on return 🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

You are gonna be disappointed with the boot space on a squashquail

400l (2010-14) is nowhere near a match for 543l of an avensis estate.

You need another mid-big estate for this trip or a full size SUV.

You can get a brand new Seat Leon ST with a 587 litre boot and 130bhp 1.5 petrol engine for £14k if you exit the finance agreement inside 14 days. See broadspeed / carwow / ring the dealers see what they have.

gregsd
    Free Member

How about the Saab 95 estate in the classifieds? https://singletrackworld.com/classifieds/advert/cheap-car-saab-9-5-estate-bangernomics/

£600 and it has a tow bar fitting.

DickBarton

Berlingo…

ingloorious
    Free Member

Borrow my E class estate?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What would you do?? Very peed off !

Speak to my insurance company about how quickly they settle and buy a new car or get them to rent one. There’s plenty of time before you go

sadexpunk

i have a 57 plate octavia lauren and klement thats been SORNed since january. its SORNed as i have a company car at present, but dont know how long ill be in this post, so loathe to sell it as its the car i want to return to if and when the company car go back…..initially it was a 3 month contract but it keeps being extended and who knows, it may end up permanent.
    it has a towbar, and the boot space is excellent.

if you want to buy it for your hols then id let it go to help a singletracker, and theres always the (slight) chance that id buy it back if you decided to sell it after.

i hesitate to say its never let me down, as itd be bound to explode once you left on your holidays 😀

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They wrote it off on the same day as the accident? Wow, it took my insurance company a month to decide mine was a write off!

TiRed

Was writing it off so quickly a means to avoid them paying for a rental? In a rush,I’d buy the cash cow. And fit a towbar. It’s jus a car

nickjb
    Free Member

What camper isn’t suitable for a road trip? Maybe some new seats and break down cover for that

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks for all your replies –

borrowing a car isn’t an option wouldn’t want to take the risk with someones car

campervan would be fine if we were ambling our way through France- however we have places booked and noway im driving 400 miles in a day in it !

@sadexpunk check you messages !

wrightyson
    Free Member

2 years ago our 4 month old big Kia estatewith roof bars was arse ended by another driver.
    It happened a week before a planned trip to Cornwall. I told the insurers what we needed courtesy car wise and it was a battle but I stood my ground and eventually ended up with a Ford ranger as a courtesy vehicle. Have you had your payout yet?

cbike
    Free Member

Fit a tow bar and hire a trailer? Personally I’d spend an hour on the net, see what dealers has a few of what you are after and then just buy a car?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

insurance wont give us a hire car, as our car was hit and no details left -its in the small print !

tjagain

Then they need to get the payout to you. You should not be left carless. Just buy a suitable car? Plenty of time to do so

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, just make time to find and buy a suitable used car (instead of posting on here maybe).

And get good breakdown cover for it.

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

I get the whole researching a new car need, but where is your sense of adventure. This is a family wagon, just pop down you local car supermarket (motorpoint et Al), jump in some cars, see what suits and drive off in a couple of hours.
    If after your holiday you’ve not jelled, px it against something else.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What is wrong with the camper van? Can’t you get some work do e on it over the next few weeks to get it up to scratch?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Bought the Qashqai ! Back to basics !

CountZero

Bought the Qashqai ! Back to basics !

Nice one! Enjoy the holiday. I’m sure you’ll get on with the Qashqai, at least comfort-wise, I’ve done 200-mile non-stop drives in them, from Cornwall back to Wiltshire, and they’ve always been a comfy drive.
    If it’s not really suitable size-wise, at least you’ve got transport while finding something longer term that’s more suitable, and you can pass on the Qashqai.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Family wagon written off before we embark on 3week road trip…’ is closed to new replies.