Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Family friendly music festivals
  • stick_man

Thinking of taking the family to a weekend long festival this summer. Preferably laid back with a variety of music and side shows suitable for children aged 5 years upwards.

Interested to hear your experiences and suggestions.

Thanks

redstripe
    Free Member

Big Bike Bash on the August bank holiday weekend in the New Forest; bikes bands and beer family friendly event – loads of references on this forum or google, cheers

wwaswas

http://www.wychwoodfestival.com/

is a smallish festival with decent family provision.

MoreCashThanDash

Rock and Bike fest near Derby. Mate takes his family every year. The pole dancing was verytastefully done a couple of years back, apparently 😆

sc-xc

We go to Bearded Theory every year. Great for kids, but really depends what music you are after.

As long as you steer clear of the corporate shit like V, there’s some great independents out there. Check out efestivals for loads of info.

tomaso
    Free Member

One man’s family friendly is another man’s living hell for parenthood.

If you are in the Hells Angels the Bull dog Bash is a family friendly event.

Green Gathering and Womad are safe bets.

verses

Latitude is very family friendly (M&S don’t do festivals……)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Try Eden Festival in the Borders – nr some trails too…

HOME

seadog101

As these choices are ruled by my daughter I have little say, but secretly hoping for Latitude this year.

irelanst
    Free Member

We’ve been to the Belladrum Tartan Heart fstival a few times and it’s always been good for the kids, with lots of crafty things to do. The camping field flooded the last time we were there but we were staying up the road with family. It’s near Inverness so depending where you are might be a long drive.

muzzle
    Free Member

Deer Shed festival in North Yorkshire – great mix of music and kids’ stuff. Last year’s theme was Machines, and they had all sorts of workshops and interactive stuff – my 6 year-old son loved it.

This year the theme is Time Travel and Johnny Marr and British Sea Power are the main acts, with more bands being announced tomorrow I think.

We’ve been every year for the last three years and we love it. Went to Latitude with the kids a few years ago, and found it just too big. Deer Shed is much smaller, with a nice easy walk from car to campsite and from campsite to arena.

http://deershedfestival.com/

Oh, and that’s my son in the video from the 2013 festival at 44 seconds in (the little one on the left in the big goggles!).

jekkyl

Bestival.

surfer
    Free Member

Camp Bestival. I have been 4 times and I know Camp Bestival was one of my kids most anticipated events of the year. They and we (4 dads) have had some fantastic times there and I can recommend it.
    Unfortunately they are a bit older now so will be going to festivals on their own now although I am booking Kendal calling tonight!

llama

Glastonbury with my kids lots of times starting from about that age. I was worried the first time but it ended up being surprisingly good fun and opened up a whole side to the festival I never knew existed. There is a ton of stuff that kids will like and family camping is relatively quiet and spacious.

Of course it is corporate, too expensive, too middle class, not as good as it used to be, blah, blah, blah

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Car Fest. Whilst technically only a music festival from late afternoon onwards, there is more than enough to keep parents and kids occupied provided you have even a little interest in cars. We’ve been twice and loved it. The camping areas are extremely well organised and presented and everywhere feels very safe. Good selection of food too.

Wave those hands by stilltortoise, on Flickr

ninkynonk
    Free Member

+1 for camp festival

my 5 year old twins love it, loads to do for any age

stick_man

Some great ideas here thanks. Especially like the look of http://www.campbestival.net/ and http://deershedfestival.com/

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ynot festival between ashbourne/buxton/matlock is already booked again for this year. Proper designated family camping with a nicely controlled curfew, which everyone showed a lot of respect for last year. Don’t get me wrong it’s not 9pm and lights out, but if you’re twatting around at 2am you will be told.
    Genuinely can’t recommend it enough.
    As for bearded theory hopefully got some freebies lined up for that one…

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Cambridge folk Festival. Camping on site if booked early enough,set in a lovely urban park just outside Cambridge. Activities for the kids just off the main festival area.Very friendly festival and the music isn’t just folk-Van Morrison tops the bill this year.It can however be a mudfest if it rains like most festivals!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wickerman festival. You can dump the wife n kids, and head the few miles along the road to Dalbeattie!.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Wickerman festival. You can dump the wife n kids, and head the few miles along the road to Dalbeattie!.

Was just about to suggest that. Always lots of kids around when I’ve been in the past. Lots variety in the stages and music on offer and on the smaller side too. Plus some great riding to be had at the local stanes if you took your bike 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

wrightyson, did you find there was enough to keep the kids occupied? Granted the weather was rotten when I went to Y Not a few years ago, but there weren’t a huge amount of kids’ activities going on. I don’t think I’d take my 5 and 7 year old there for a whole weekend.

somafunk

I was about to suggest the Wickerman festival , we run the dance music tents for it and as a local to the site (5 miles way) i can confirm it is very family friendly and always has been, loads for the kids to do and the family camping area is decent.

paladin

Belladrum. Its great!

grum
    Free Member

Solfest is quite family friendly from what I hear – not been though.

TonyL
    Free Member

worth having a look at the Greenman my kids really enjoy it as do my wife and I. Not too big but still lots going on.

steviegil
    Free Member
    Nick

I was thinking as I read down the thread, why hasn’t anyone mentioned The Green Man festival?

We’ve been going since 2009, when my son was 6.

It’s a fantastic location and a very laid back atmosphere. Good kids area, films, adventure walks, fun science stuff etc.

We just let the kids wonder off and do their own thing now, give them a cheap walkie talkie and we can call them back to our spot on the terraced grass overlooking the main stage.

Good beer festival too.

P1020502 by nickgilling, on Flickr

jambourgie
    Free Member
    lambchop
    Free Member

If you like your twang then Maverick is superb.

Maverick Festival

ciderinsport
    Free Member

http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk

Bands
    Bikes
    Beer

🙂

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Isle Of Wight. Bit dull but impeccably immaculate, well organised and clean living lefty fest.

Not TITP. Ever.

Marin
    Free Member

Green Man. Lots going on good for kids I imagine. Bit dull for adults with no kids.

breadcrumb

Kendal Calling seems pretty good for family’s.

My mate takes his four kids every year, youngest will of been about 3.

MoreCashThanDash

wrightyson – I’m curious as to whether YNot would do for kids as well – it’s just up the road. Sort of….

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Beautiful Days
    But be warned:

Parents are reminded that they must be responsible for their children at all times whilst at Beautiful Days. Unattended children will be given an expresso and a puppy.

🙂
    Also End of the Road

midlifecrashes

PSA: BBC3, Festivals, Sex & Suspicious Parents, now 9pm Weds
    Kendall Calling

sc-xc

Beautiful Days is great, have been to 5 of them…just wish it was nearer (which is why we now go to BT)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Family friendly music festivals’ is closed to new replies.