Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 38t on a 29er ?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

my 29er did have a triple on with a 30t middle ring but changed it for a 2x 10 chainset which now has 38t 24t i’m find the 38t abit hard to push sometimes ! and my whyte weighs 30lbs so not really xc light ! whats your thoughts please 🙂

Richie

rickon
    Free Member

38/24 is pretty standard double, and on a 29er too.

What cassette you running?

Having the 24 means you can drop out of the big ring, I used the 38 for descending only pretty much, and the road when I had a double.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

must be me then 🙂 im running 36t out back !

frood
    Free Member

Where are you based… I was running a 26/40 on my 29er with a 36t cassette here in the scottish borders and could get up everything on that… have now gone to a 32t single ring and can get up most things… but then I’ve got the legs for it… you should only really need the 38 for the downs (or tailwind flat bits)

stimpy
    Free Member

I’m running a 36/22 double on my 29er and find I’m spinning out on it, was thinking of switching to 38/24. If it’s a GXP crankset, are you interested in a swap?

st

Until recently I was using a double with a 38 on my 29er and it was great. I was concerned at first but found it a bit help with speed to be pushing I to the gear more. As Winter started I did find that it wasn’t as good on some of the tighter Singletrack sections as they got muddier (slower). I hardly used the granny as it was just too twiddly.

In the last few weeks ive decided to give 1×10 a try so swapped the double for a single 34 though so its now irrelevant for me.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I run a 38t on e a 1×9 Setup and find it okay round here but then it is pretty flat in east anglia

pete68
    Free Member

I find the same as the op.38 is a bit hard but the 26 is too twiddly. Can’t make my mind up whether to go back to a triple so I’d have a 32 or 34, or go single ring.

monkeyboyjc

When I was living in bristol I had a 28/42 setup with 11-32 cassette.
    Now im in the cotswolds it changed to 22/32 with a 11-36 cassette.
    It all depends on where you live and what the terrain like.

pete68
    Free Member

Tbh the 38 is fine for my local riding, ,dropping to the granny. It’s when racing it’s a bit much, as you’re riding harder and have to keep re accelerating so get more tired. I also do some 12 hour solos and think it’ll really tell on the legs on those.

trusty

My stumpy evo came with a 33 big ring, so swap it for a smaller one?

shortcut

40×28 with an 11-36 on the back should be fine for most things – I seldom engage the smaller ring unless the climb is steep or long. I am no XC race whippet and have the results to prove it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘38t on a 29er ?’ is closed to new replies.