Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Fair weather riders!
  • Shred
    Free Member

Riding in the wind does suck, which is a problem since I’m on the Isle of Man where it is always windy. It does reset your wind tolerance level on what is acceptable for riding vs no way.

kerley
    Free Member

Only time I don’t ride my bike is when it is zero degrees and likely to be ice on road. Have fallen off due to ice 3 times and didn’t enjoy any of them so now don’t risk it.

BigJohn

I was 12 miles from home on Tuesday when the heavens opened. Just wearing thin roadie top. I put the rain jacket on and took it off again as I preferred being soaked to boil in the bag.
    I got a few PRs on the way back, even into a headwind. Needed a shower to get dry but at least the bike is clean.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

If you follow IMBA’s advice we should all be fairweather riders,

Do not ride muddy trails…

The IMBA with their finger on the pulse as always! For an apparently international organisation they don’t seem to understand that in some countries rain is almost a permanent thing.

parkesie
    Free Member

Some days I just can’t be bothered with getting wet cold and muddy.

butcher

Initially it was fun, masochistic maybe but still fun.

There are certainly weathers that you need to be slightly masochistic to ride in, regardless of preparation. However, riding in the rain during the summer can be an absolute pleasure and really quite refreshing. Everyone finds pleasure in different things of course, I just think that providing you’re dressed well, there’s little, if any, discomfort at all in a wet summer ride. Winter is a different kettle of fish altogether.

That said. Had I paid 3 or 4 grand for a bike, and I was sat looking at it sparkling in the corner of the room, I’d be very reluctant to take it out and throw it around in the mud. Thankfully I have an old shitter, so I just leave it caked in mud and let it rust.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I do ride in the wet, but I ride enough (getting on for 4k miles a year, which isn’t mega mileage but it’s enough for me) that if it’s raining I’m comfortable with saying I’ll leave it for another day. Happy riding when it’s really cold too, provided it’s not icy and I’m on the road bike.

In terms of big trips, the situation the OP describes is probably a problem with BPW as a paid for, bookable venue. When I’ve been away this year I’ve gone where the weather forecast is good and kept things flexible. My last trip was up to Kintail, it was supposed to rain in most of Scotland but not there. We rode there on the Saturday, then Sunday’s forecast was bad so we headed to Aviemore where it was dry. If I’d had to pay a lot of money to ride there then I’d have felt more duty bound to have a less good time riding in the rain there than somewhere dry.

Also, £60 in fuel to get to BPW? In my car that’s almost 500 miles! You’re travelling too far to ride it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[Victor Meldrew]

Got home from work very early for a Saturday, but wanted to relax for an hour or so, before contemplating even going for a gentle ride for 2+ hours.

It felt really humid all morning, but forecast all saying it should be dry until at least 1900.

Start getting ready, to find rear tube is almost flat. Slow puncture or sticky valve that was not screwed in properly? Inflate to ~85PSI and see what happens over ~15mins.

Transferred chilled water to bike bottle.

Check Wunderground for real-time weather, SEasterly breeze… But rain cloud band on edge of city has been slowly moving North West towards Butser Hill…

Look outside, it’s raining!

I don’t believe it!! 🙁 😡
    [/Victor Meldrew]

Guess it’s a turbo ride then before dinner. 🙁

malv173
    Free Member

Commuting, any weather, with the exception of very strong winds. In all honesty, it’s preferable in bad weather as there’s a shower waiting when I get to work. It’s nice to start the day clean and dry. One of my favourite bad weather rides to work involved an older chap complementing me on riding in in the snow.

Planned rides with friends, totally depends on the route. We’ll see what the forecast is and often see on the day. We’ll not do sensitive trails, sometimes may just go to a hardier location.The localish Indoor skatepark was used regularly over winter, and now Dirt Factory in Manchester is up and running, that may be a nice wet weather alternative not to far from us in Sheffield.

cchris2lou

Too hot to ride today. 36c. Got the wife to drop me on top of the mountain for a 3 mile downhill and 5 mile along train track to get home.
    Now drinking lots of beer.

mjsmke

I’m with the OP’s mate. Riding in the rain is miserable and I really hate it, especially if travelling a long way knowing there is a high chance of rain. Its just not fun. Walking in the rain is fine but riding in the rain is not for me. On a very rainy day I’d rather sit on the turbo than go out.

If the trip is booked and he’s paying his fair share still then its not a problem.

I’m not jumping to any conclusion here but some people genuinely struggle in different weather. Look up Autism and sensory overload. Weather is just one part of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Fair weather riders!’ is closed to new replies.