Viewing 32 posts - 241 through 272 (of 272 total)
  • Fact checking in popular songs.
  • ernielynch

Olympus is probably rising

Yeah but Toto stated it as a fact.

llama

I’m not sure Kelis’ milkshake brings all the boys to the yard?

I’d say 99.9999% of boys would go further than the yard for a milkshake (perhaps not necessarily one from Kelis)

tomhoward

she’s got it like a turbo ‘vette

whilst Sir Mixalot is clearly aware that plenty of Chevrolet Corvettes had forced induction, I’m pretty sure they were all supercharged, rather than turbocharged.

thols2

Callaway used to do turbo conversions for Corvettes.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15114945/callaway-twin-turbo-chevrolet-corvette-archived-road-test/

There was a turbo Chevy Corvair, which was totally unrelated to the Corvette, but probably easy to confuse.

Also, the auto transmission in the GM V8s was called Turbo-Hydramatic, usually called Turbo 400 in normal conversation.

tomhoward

‘Sir’ Mixalot was very vocal that he didn’t like non OEM versions of things, so unlikely he would approve of aftermarket modification.

reeksy

Wimbawey as much as you like but it’s highly unlikely that you will find a lion sleeping in a jungle.  It’s just not their habitat.

mmannerr

Everybody was kung fu fighting
    Some might have been practicing tai chi instead

thols2

Everybody was kung fu fighting
    Some might have been practicing tai chi instead

I’ve always believed that any pragmatic person would just go MMA instead of being a purist.

thols2

An Eskimo showed me a movie
    He’d recently taken of you
    The poor man could hardly stop shivering
    His lips and his fingers were blue
    I suppose that he froze when the wind took your clothes
    And I guess he just never got warm
    But you stand there so nice, in your blizzard of ice
    Oh please let me come into the storm

They’re called Inuit, you insensitive bastard.

thols2

And Jesus was a sailor
    When he walked upon the water
    And he spent a long time watching
    From his lonely wooden tower

1. Walking on water is not part of any maritime certification.
    2. Jesus wasn’t on his lonely wooden tower for a very long time objectively. His subjective feeling may have stretched it to feel like a lifetime.

BillMC

Wouldn’t you burn your fingers if you caught a falling star?

Cougar

No, because the Dire Straits song is not part of the Sultans of Swing repertoire, quite clearly.

… narrowly missing the most glaring error in that song.

Knopfler sang “we are Sultans of Swing.” No they weren’t, they were Dire Straits.

mattyfez

I smoke two joints in the morning
    I smoke two joints at night
    I smoke two joints in the afternoon
    It makes me feel all right
    I smoke two joints in time of peace
    And two in time of war
    I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
    And then I smoke two more

Maths challenge!
    How many joints per day does the singer of sublime smoke?

I don’t know how many joints per day that adds up to, but it’s several orders of magnitude too many, to be able to play/sing that song with any kind of coherence.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

# Pedant mode

There may be a number of errors in Mark Knopflers writing but Sultans is not one of them. A careful check of the lyrics will show that it is the leader of the band that steps up to the mic and sings “we are the sultans of swing”. Not wanting to burst your bubble or contradict the wry humour and all that 😉

# end pedant mode

mattyfez

I have have just checked the dictionary definition of ‘rises’, it means an upward motion.

Neither Kilimanjaro nor Mount Olympus are moving upwards.

But did Toto take into account global warming and rising sea levels? It could in fact be argued they are sinking depending on point of reference, were they measuring from sea level, or from the center of the earth?

Cougar

A careful check of the lyrics will show that it is the leader of the band that steps up to the mic and sings “we are the sultans of swing”.

Ooh, nice catch. But that’s only later on in the song.

And Harry doesn’t mind, if he doesn’t, make the scene
    He’s got a daytime job, he’s doing alright
    He can play the Honky Tonk like anything
    Savin’ it up, for Friday night
    With the Sultans
    We’re the Sultans of Swing

mattyfez

The plot deepens…

Dictionary definition of Sultan:

a Muslim sovereign.

historical

a bird of a breed of white domestic chicken from Turkey.

So whilst Dire straits might be good at swing, playing honky-tonk, and various other musical styles, and generally very accomplished musicians, they are not sultans by any known definition of the word.

mattyfez

Knopfler also sang ‘I should have learned to play the guitar…’

Well, at best that’s just a humble brag really… I think even the most harsh critic would have to agree that he’s pretty good at playing the guitar.

He’s alsmost as bad as Bryan Adams.

theotherjonv

Wimbawey as much as you like but it’s highly unlikely that you will find a lion sleeping in a jungle.  It’s just not their habitat.

You’re taking things too literally.

In the GnR song ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ clearly they’re using Jungle as a metaphor for a big city. But which one? They have fun and games – many large cities have entertainment centres, or toy shops.

They have everything you need, they have your disease. Everything – to me that means a major trading centre, so probably a Western major city, or a select few of the RoW. Shanghai maybe?

You can taste the bright lights but you won’t get there for free. As you fly into the city maybe, you can see the bright lights, but there’s a notoriously expensive taxi ride to follow…..

and then – feel my serpentine. Finally, some clarity. The jungle is clearly London.

There’s a zoo in London. With lions.  Which will sleep at some point. Clearly what was intended by Solomon Linda back in 1939 when the original was scored.

/Ted Rogers – and you’ve just won a bin.

defblade
    Free Member

This was right at the time:

“I’m a man (a man),
    without conviction”

Not any more…
    …maybe that’s just karma?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

52 years should have been more than sufficient time to sort out most of the planets ills:

fasgadh
    Free Member

Kraftwerk: Marie Curie did not discover radioactivity

CountZero

Marie Curie did not discover radioactivity

Explain this, then…

In 1903, Marie Curie shared the Nobel Prize in Physics with her husband, and the physicist Henri Bequerel for their pioneering work developing the theory of radioactivity, a term she coined, and in 1911, she won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for her discovery of the elements Polonium and Radium, using techniques she invented for isolating radioactive isotopes.

theotherjonv

Becquerel. In 1896.

As I recall it he discovered by chance – he was experimenting with uranium and found that if he covered photographic plates with dark paper and then put uranium on top and left them in the sun then the plates still showed the shape of the uranium crystals.

But the weather turned bad, the sun was covered by clouds so he put his prepared experiment in the drawer and went home.

Sometime later he looked at the plates from the drawer and found they too had darkened. So it wasn’t the sun causing it, it was spontaneous.

The Curies then worked further on it but the actual ‘discovery’ of the phenomenon was Becquerel’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Becquerel

reeksy

As I recall it

Oh come on, nobody believes you’re that old.

Whilst maybe they didn’t know it was radiation pre se, Indigenous Australians have known about it for a long time. There’s an area in Kakadu National Park called by the Traditional Owners, Sickness Country. There are parts that pregnant women were never allowed to go, they aren’t allowed to swim in the lakes there for example. It’s also where the Ranger Uranium Mine was. Coincidence?

theotherjonv

OK, “as I recall” from my physics and inorganic chemistry classes.

Indigenous Australians have known about it for a long time.

If you read the Wiki, seems likely another French physicist observed it quite a bit earlier. Leads to a discussion about when discovery really happens – observation, directly, or indirectly, or does it need dissemination? Explanation as well? If someone says ‘I’ve noticed this but haven’t got the foggiest what’s going on’ is that discovery?

The Indigenous Australians example – clearly seems they knew something was wrong but could have been anything, other toxic chemicals, so hard to claim they knew about ‘radioactivity’ – just knew something was up with those lakes. Discovered it? IDK.

Probably getting a bit high brow for this thread, TBH.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Where do we start?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

…But only when you’re synesthetic😝

ChrisL

I’m not sure that Faith No More care a lot about all of the following:

• Disasters
    • Fires
    • Floods
    • Killer bees
    • The NASA Shuttle fallin’ in the sea
    • Starvation
    • The food that Live Aid bought
    • Disease
    • Gamblers
    • Pushers
    • Geeks
    • The smack and crack and whack that hits the street
    • The welfare of all you boys and girls
    • You people
    • The army
    • The navy
    • The air force
    • The marines
    • The NYPD
    • The SFPD
    • The LAPD
    • Your guns
    • The wars they’re fighting
    • The Garbage Pail Kids
    • The Transformers
    • The little things

For starters, caring a lot about all of those things would be exhausting and leave you little time to do anything else, let alone produce 7 albums.

ChrisL

In addition Faith No More had earlier stated that they also care a lot about:

• Los Angeles falling in the sea
    • The freaks
    • The people who live off the street (though they would presumably be included in the catch-all “the people” who Faith No More later proclaimed to care a lot about)
    • Cabbage Patch – presumably the Cabbage Patch Kids, given their care for the similar Garbage Pail Kids
    • The Smurfs
    • DMC
    • Madonna

At that point (1985) they also apparently copped for Mr T, though they do not clarify whether that involves more or less emotional investment than caring a lot about something requires.

thols2

America may not have started all the fires, but they did start some and poured petrol on plenty of others.

sirromj

I can’t think of a specific example, but given how much of the planet has been narrated about by the likes of David Attenborough et al, then I feel I can confidently assert, as fact, that the sound of the common fox is certainly not at all the “one sound that no one knows”.

Obviously the remaining lyrics of What does the fox say by Ylvis are purely speculative and written by a song writer who has never knowingly heard a fox. So as much fun as it might (or might not) be those lyrics cannot be part of any fact checking mission.

Viewing 32 posts - 241 through 272 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.