Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 272 total)
  • Fact checking in popular songs.
  • matt_outandabout

Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England’s green and pleasant land

That’s a geographically variable truth.

winerwalker
    winerwalker

There’s no such place as Honnah Lee and dragons do not live forever.

You misheard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honiley

reeksy

If her majesty didn’t have a lot to say, why was she always making speeches?

mattyfez

Lady Ga-Ga has a song called speechless. Where she proceeds to sing for a full four and a half mins.

So not speechless at all then.

sanername

Mr. Jackson was, of course, not “BAD” by any reasonable definition of the word.

mattyfez

I dunno about that, the multiple out of court settlements suggest he was probably at least a litttle bit naughty.

Murray

I’m travelling at the speed of light

So your mass is zero? Seems unlikely

Defying the laws of gravity

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, we’ve not see any evidence of anything defying the rules of gravity

I’m a rocket ship on my way to Mars on a collision course

Fair enough, I remember Beagle 2

Cougar

As I recall, at the time “bad” was similar to use of “sick” today. Possibly a contraction of “bad ass,” I don’t think he was singing about his IBS though.

antigee

Walked out this morning, I don’t believe what I saw
    Hundred billion bottles washed up on the shore

that ones always concerned me…that’s around 2 x 6packs for the whole world population

simondbarnes

that ones always concerned me…that’s around 2 x 6packs for the whole world population

Apparently 2 trillion drinks containers are made every year

thols2

As I recall, at the time “bad” was similar to use of “sick” today. Possibly a contraction of “bad ass,” I don’t think he was singing about his IBS though.

No, I don’t think he was talking about IBS. With the benefit of hindsight, it does quite likely that he was quite a naughty boy, but I guess he bought off the witnesses so we’ll never really know for sure.

antigee

simondbarnes

….Apparently 2 trillion drinks containers are made every year

good point…but now I’m concerned it’s just a throw away line

andy5390

Toto: As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti

No.

No it doesn’t

greyspoke
    Free Member

I am inclined to think that Mr Pitney’s distance from Tulsa varied a little more than his frequent pronouncements on the subject indicated.

mattyfez

Fact checking aside, the logistics and planning skills of this song writer certainly leave a lot to be desired. That would be a red flag for me.

You can reach me by railway
    You can reach me by trailway
    You can reach me on an airplane
    You can reach me with your mind
    You can reach me by caravan
    Cross the desert like an Arab man
    I don’t care how you get here
    Just get here if you can
    You can reach my by sail boat
    Climb a tree and swing rope to rope
    Take a sled and slide down slow
    Into these arms of mine
    You can jump on a speedy colt
    Cross the border in a blaze of hope
    Just get here if you can
    There are hills and mountains between us
    Always something to get over
    But if I had my way
    Surely you would be closer
    I need you closer
    You can wind surf into my life
    Take me up on a carpet ride
    You can make it in a big balloon
    But you better make it soon
    Just get here if you can
    There are hills and mountains between us
    Always something to get over
    But if I had my way
    Surely you would be closer
    I need you closer
    You can wind surf into my life
    Take me up on a carpet ride
    You can make it in a big balloon
    But you better make it soon
    Just get here if you can
    Just get here if you can

thols2

Wayne Carson did actually have time to take a fast train, he was just impatient. He was also wrong about neon lights, they do not warm the coldest nights.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

The Bee Gees scored a number one in 1987 with ‘you win again’.

Unless getting a whopping 10% off instore bakery items with my lidls scratchcard counts as winning, my luck has been nonexistent since then, messrs Gibb. Thanks.

tjagain

Did the lights all go out in Massachusetts?

BigJohn

Surely “Staying Alive” is the Bee Gees’ biggest untruth.

bearnecessities

“No no, no, no no no, no, no no no, there’s no limit”

Well there is, and it’s 20 everywhere nowadays.

ernielynch

Nah, they were definitely alive when they were singing “stayin’ alive”.

It can be easily fact checked.

reeksy

Whilst the British variant of the original French TV show debuted in 1965 under a different name (Des chiffres et des lettres), by 1986 Countdown was four years old. Since then have been very many countdowns. In fact, given changes in formats, spin-offs and overseas variants, I would suggest there have been countless countdowns in the intervening period.

Europe – you were very much wrong.

BillMC

The barbers was in Smithdown Place not Penny Lane.

thols2

Ducks don’t really groove about and have fun in the sun, unless you feed them a bit more than just a plain old bun.

finbar
    Free Member

‘Buy a house in Devon/Drink cider from a lemon’.

I mean, it is possible to drink cider from a lemon, but not very practical.

Sandwich

drink cider from a lemon, but not very practical.

Depends on the size of the lemon really. Something water-melon sized would be a good vessel. Something plum sized not so good.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Michael Jackson charted in 1978 with ‘blame it on the boogie’.

In the song, he remarked how he “just can’t control his feet”.

His feet were the least of our concerns.

irc

Did the lights all go out in Massachusetts?

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_1965

CountZero

a lycanthropic cat

Not possible.
    <div class=”module__title”>lycanthrope</div>
    <div class=”module–definitions__audio”>
    <div class=”play-btn js-play-btn” data-url=”/audio/?u=https%3A%2F%2Faudio.wordnik.com%2F38112.mp3%3FExpires%3D1679366219%26Key-Pair-Id%3DAPKAIHXX6B6C37D2VKVA%26Signature%3DiAb~7Mvi2TypVf~9nlcn3kq~7h6URHNPf8Affij0GoCUCifZqqda3wWN4EW2p04X25mhS73qBC24NdNnvOhzH8q6ZzmtjYMJekPBv1iDwnY4tvFHGdE0ApRaKcAmDJQLmtEPVqGn~YaMqoD7YgqaRxfMF2u~Jom1XkNfyWl4wwNzmDAy9O999vuXm~Oj0HHJ8zG925O9UBpiPe4btro~coVSvbgqSGkQmxcVSJPc8b~GDVXdfPljqk5w5Isy5i-DKKO84cHk1cfXy8g6GxocPWdtYOK-9l8AzLPdIFxl18hHv4L2GK4gflq-mdJLm6SdefmnWdQ~WyJ2jYT~bmL8tw__”></div>
    <span class=”module–definitions__pronunciation js-definitions-pronunciation”>lī′kən-thrōp″, lī-kăn′-</span></div>
    <div class=”module–definitions__collapsed-group”>
    <h3 class=”module–definitions__part-of-speech”>noun</h3>

<li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
      <li class=”module–definitions__definition”>A werewolf.

<li class=”module–definitions__definition”>A person affected with lycanthropy.

<li class=”module–definitions__definition”>A man superstitiously supposed to be possessed of the power of transforming himself at pleasure into a wolf, and to be endowed while in that shape with its savage propensities; a were-wolf.

</div>

Edit/

Sorry, but I’m just not going to try to edit that complete cluster**** piece of crappy formatting. I thought that had all been sorted out!

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sorry, Fountains of Wayne, but you’ve spent too long on Pronhub and it’s never gonna happen.

onehundredthidiot

Well, it would appear no night is alright for fighting.

theotherjonv

In the archive footage I’ve seen of Nancy Sinatra, those boots weren’t made for walking. They’d need a substantially lower heel, more tread and a degree more ankle support.

I’d warrant those boots were made for something, but it ain’t walking.

jamj1974

I suspect that Beijing has more than 9 million bikes within the city limits.

I have often challenged that this cannot be “a fact – a thing you cannot change.” Surely a theft of one bicycle would make it 8,999,999 bicycles. Katie Melua didn’t respond to my query and has not done so in intervening years.

I doubt that within Beijing the net change in bicycles is in the order of 1. I also doubted that a bicycle census was even possible or that a reconciliation would be practical.

Therefore I contended and still contend that Katie had no idea of the number of bicycles in Beijing or how it could change. I also doubt she defined what a bicycle would consist of a complete machine or whether a complete set of components – sufficient to make a bicycle would be counted.

Therefore, I doubt the accuracy of her statement and her ability to make an accurate assessment.

matt_outandabout

Early morning, April four
    Shot rings out in the Memphis sky.

It was 6:05pm.

ernielynch

Surely a theft of one bicycle would make it 8,999,999 bicycles.

No it wouldn’t. There could still be 9 million bicycles in Beijing, legal ownership does not guarantee geographical location.

Plus as I pointed out earlier there were considerable more than just 9 million bicycles in Beijing when Katie Melua made the claim. There were in fact 9 million bicycles plus hundreds of thousands more bicycles.

How Many Bicycles Are Actually in Beijing? [STATS]

Katie Melua makes it clear. There are nine million bicycles in Beijing. That’s a fact. It’s a thing we can’t deny.

Where she isn’t quite so sure she also makes that clear…… We are twelve billion light years from the edge. That’s a guess. No-one can ever say it’s true.

jamj1974

Sorry Ernie, by theft I meant theft and subsequent removal from Beijing!

jamj1974

Also, if there were more than 9 million bicycles in Beijing, should Katie not have said: “There’s at least 9 million bicycles in Beijing, more in fact.”

theotherjonv

catching up on old theads

So by that token saying there’s 3 people in a string quartet is an actual fact?

tourismo

Kilimanjaro is no where near the Serengeti, despite what Toto might tell you.*

*Stolen from Bill Bailey.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.