Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Facebook; Does it scare the **** out of you.
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Am I just being paranoid or require a tin foil hat.

Especially after reading an article on Mark Zuckerberg.

Is it worth it ?

Not far from clicking this link:
    https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

tiger_roach
    Free Member

What are the key reasons for you thinking this way?

redthunder
    Free Member

It's started to spook on just much info there is 🙁

Check this out:

http://youropenbook.org/

ooOOoo
    Free Member

We've all given up privacy for convenience

GrahamS

Well I have my privacy settings as tight as I can get them on Facebook, but I still don't say anything too controversial on there, or post anything that I wouldn't be happy to be seen in public.

If you do that then no issue.

If you make loads of posts about how shit your jobs is, what a **** you boss is, and how your latest affair is going then really you are asking for trouble 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Some woman on R5 this morning, bitching about how taking your husband's surname makes things sooooo difficult to find people on google, facebook etc…..how on earth have people survived up til now 🙄

ooOOoo
    Free Member

What should that Openbook come up with redthunder? It's just hanging at the mo

BigDummy
    Free Member

Anyone seriously interested in snooping into my private life or looking for compromising facts about my affairs, attitude to my job, sexual behaviour or health would have waaaay more luck on here than on Facebook. 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

It's started to spook on just much info there is

Check this out:

http://youropenbook.org/

It's a feed of public updates. Mine won't be in there

gonefishin
    Free Member
    redthunder
    Free Member
    nickc

I love the Daily Mash, they should be allowed to do the BBC news at 9.00

Nick
    ocrider

It's started to spook on just much info there is

Go into your privacy settings and just mark everything for friends only.
    Oh, dont forget to leave your front door open with a polite letter addressed to the burglars on the kitchen table, theres a good chap.

andytherocketeer

I recommend watching the Facebook SouthPark episode (Season 14, forget which episode – can watch directly online from comedy central webby).

Pretty close to hitting the Delete A/C button myself. Have already done this for Myspace 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Facebook seems fine, it's the muppets who use it that are the worry; had to listen to a rant from a mate who'd been let down at the last minute by another mate cos 'kiddie is ill'. Cue 'we're out drinking at such and such a pub' update 2 hours later…

zaskar
    Free Member

I get the pi$$ taken out of me as I don't use it but I am kind of private in my nature.

I might do it for networking and catching up on old uni pals but I have their emails/mobile numbers.

Try not to follow sheep personally. Which may not be a good thing to some.

GrahamS

I get the pi$$ taken out of me as I don't use it but I am kind of private in my nature.

I might do it for networking and catching up on old uni pals but I have their emails/mobile numbers.

I resisted for years, till I realised recently that most of my mates are distant now, yet they all still knew what each other was doing through Facebook, but I didn't have a clue. I called up one of my mates for a beer and got no response, only to be told by the others: "Duh, he's in Egypt. Haven't you seen his photos on Facebook?"

I think it genuinely does help you stay in touch with folk, probably in a more intimate way than just email or mobile (how many mates would actually call or email you to tell you the kind of trivia that gets posted on status updates?)

But it does have to be used with some care!

GrahamS

Oh and for career "networking", you are much better off with linkedin.

Creg

I recommend watching the Facebook SouthPark episode (Season 14, forget which episode – can watch directly online from comedy central webby).

I swear last week I was actually living Stan's life from that episode (called "You have 0 friends"). I booted some people off my friends list and anyone would have thought I have just run over their dog…talk about a shitstorm 😕

"So you've deleted me off Facebook, does this mean you hate me?"
    "No, because Im still talking to you, hence us sitting here having coffee"

Very close to deleting my account. It was lightly entertaining at first but now I can't be bothered with it anymore.

Nick

Why would they know you deleted them? I've removed the most inane and banal 'friends' plus a couple of overt racist **** from my friends list, still see the inane morons at work, pretty sure they haven't noticed that they have 1 less 'friend'.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you're scared of FB perhaps you need to lie down in a darkened room…

yunki
    Free Member

the best way to combat this is not to have any aspects of your life that you are ashamed of…

Creg

Why would they know you deleted them?

They're the kind of people that spend every waking second on either Facebook or Twatter updating their status with the most inane bollocks known to man or checking up on the latest gossip. If something changes, they know about it.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Short answer. Yes. It scares me. But then so does the Tescos clubcard. And my mobile phone. And my bank… As someone said up there, we've all given up security for convenience.

highclimber
    Free Member

I easily managed to alter my privacy settings to the way I wanted. It was no where near as convoluted as people in the media made it out to be.

total scaremongering amongst the tech journalists (nerds) IMO

GrahamS

total scaremongering amongst the tech journalists

To be fair, until this blew up even my techies friends were unaware that if I used any Facebook application or pressed a 'Like' button on a website then I could then be sharing THEIR personal details as well as my own.

CountZero

There's probably less about my personal life on my Facebook pages than anywhere else. I use it to keep in touch with people who are spread around, and to post up photos. I find it most useful for keeping up to date with what various bands and musicians are doing, the iPhone app version is much better than Myspace for that. There's no requirement to post every tiny detail of your life; if you do and then get all paranoid about privacy, well sorry, but it's your own fault.

fadda

+1 zaskar

john_drummer
    Free Member

I avoid posting anything on facebook, myspace, reverbnation (or anywhere else where I promote my band) during the hours when I'm at work.

I never directly or indirectly mention the company I work for, or the people I work with, on facebook, or anything that I've done, said or had said/done to me, while at work.

I have never posted my bank details or my home address or home phone number on any of these sites. Common sense really.

I use Facebook/Myspace/Reverbnation almost entirely for promoting my band. And finding out what my friends are up to. spooky that, innit?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Oh and for career "networking", you are much better off with linkedin.

until you find your manager on there!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I'm pretty careful / sensible about what I post on facebook.

Until I'm p!ssed. Then I post all kinds of inane gibberish on there and have to walk into the office on a Monday morning to "you were p!ssed on xxx night weren't you Gilo?"

GrahamS

until you find your manager on there

Well thats kind of the point.

I'm "linkedin" with several of my managers, workmates, friends and customers. I even have a recommendation from my current CEO.

redthunder
    Free Member

I just ****canned my account. That was liberating 🙂

Facebook Internetwankiness.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and what of freedom of speech ? I say whatever the hell I like 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

until you find your manager on there

Well thats kind of the point.

I'm "linkedin" with several of my managers, workmates, friends and customers. I even have a recommendation from my current CEO.

that's great, until you start looking for a new challenge…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

and what of freedom of speech ? I say whatever the hell I like

Really? I'd never noticed……. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they only get to rent my time, not my body and soul :o)

GrahamS

Not sure I get you john? The whole linkedin is basically an online CV and career networking thing. I welcome my boss seeing me on it. He sees the contacts I have and is possibly reminded why he employs me.

Half the folk at my work have linkedin profiles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Facebook; Does it scare the **** out of you.’ is closed to new replies.