• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,961 through 3,000 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • nickc

Then you’ll all have to find something else to whinge about.

Are you 12? I’m happy to natter about F1, but tone it down eh?

Twodogs

It’s a shame…this F1 thread used to be a safe haven from some of the unpleasantness that creeps into many other long-running threads on STW. Of course, there were disagreements but not really any bitchiness, just robust polite discussion between F1 fans.

Sadly, one person has now ruined it.

LAT

edit.

deleted post, but i have a question

the commentator on sky, does it annoy anyone else when he describes every overtake or racing or race or season as a battle?

thepurist

Of course, there were disagreements but not really any bitchiness, just robust polite discussion between F1 fans.

Sadly that’s the way of any open f1 comments section these days. It got worse after AD but there was already a nasty turn to the language used by certain “fans” from different factions. F1 fans always had their heroes and villains but the current level of extreme tribalism, bile and vitriol (again from several directions) is wearing me down.

I’d manged to avoid news of the race until I watched it this evening but had seen this thread being active so knew that something was up. Shame that the race for the win was affected by the first clash, also that Leclerc got tangled up with norris. Last lap? Well that’s for Horner to deal with and for us to observe the consequences – if there are any.

Oh and great result for George, alonso showing he can still use what he’s got (if it keeps working) and shame for kmag to be on the receiving end of the honey badger.

jamesoz

the commentator on sky, does it annoy anyone else when he describes every overtake or racing or race or season as a battle?

Yes, “they’re going wheel to wheel”
    No they’re not driver b drives past driver a due to the tow, DRS and probably better grip out of the last corner due to a tyre offset.

Trying to create drama, which is understandable. I certainly couldn’t do that job.

Bez

alonso showing he can still use what he’s got (if it keeps working…

…and he remembers to steer before driving into the back of his teammate) 🙂

I did chuckle at his ranting after that. Silly chap.

scotroutes

Sadly, one person has now ruined it.

TBH the previous thread went downhill too.

Twodogs

True

itstartedwithakona
    Free Member

Perez deliberately binning it in Monaco qualifying just doesn’t make much sense to me. Seems completely out of character for a driver who’s always appeared to play fair.

However, after Checo won the race I seem to remember Jos being very upset that RB hadn’t done more to get Max into the lead either through pit stop strategy or backing Sainz up more to allow an overtake. Don’t remember the race well enough to know if either approach was viable, but that seems a more obvious (although still unreasonable) reason to hold a grudge to me.

inkster
    Free Member

Anyhow, with Vettel retiring, what are the odds on him taking a seat at Top Gear? Replacing either Freddie or Paddy (or preferably both).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

What a sad little place this forum is becoming.

thols2

Apparently, Perez likes a more neutral feeling car, while Verstappen doesn’t.
    As the car has been developed over the season it has got more over-steery to suit Max’s driving style & this has been to the detriment of Perez.

The development direction wasn’t to favour Max, it was to make the car faster. A lot of it apparently came from weight reduction. The faster car is trickier to drive on the limit, with better front end grip and a loose rear end. Max can handle that better than Perez.

I don’t think anybody seriously doubts that Max is a faster driver than Perez and that’s why the team favours him – he’s the one who’s going to win the titles. However, this petulant nonsense was completely unnecessary, it reflects badly on his character as a person.

slowoldman

Anyhow, with Vettel retiring, what are the odds on him taking a seat at Top Gear?

Why on Earth would he lower himself?

the-muffin-man
    multi21
    Free Member

Oh dear, it looks like the Max vs Checo thing is going to rumble on for a while.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-max-verstappens-mother-calls-out-sergio-perez-for-cheating-in-monaco-fumes-f1-twitter/

Does anybody remember how long Perez’ contract has left to run? Could be very nice timing for Danny becoming their reserve driver!!

tlr

Not so subtle dig at Red Bull (and FIA) there by Ferrari.

nickc

Urgh, The Netflix series has (I think) a lot to answer for all of this crap on SM.  Editing it’s  F1 coverage in a way that’s created a soap opera filled with “goodies and baddies” like wrestling.  There’s way too many BOT/Stan accounts on any number of sites that have nothing beyond hate for the driver they’ve chosen to dislike for whatever reason.

Crazy.

Bez

I keep seeing the headline on F1.com, “Horner maintains Verstappen will ‘fully support’ Perez bid for P2 after team orders controversy in Sao Paulo” and all I can hear is “but this time, I do want him to go down in the fourth”.

Twodogs

Reports say Binotti is being replaced by Vaseur…..

the-muffin-man

Reports say Binotti is being replaced by Vaseur…..

Not sure that’s a step forward to be honest!

Both have had same results this season – fast out of the blocks then faded rapidly. 🙂

thols2

Binotto’s sacking officially confirmed.

Daffy

Max has clearly stated that he will support Perez… but only if he doesn’t have to slow down, give up positions or do anything which may in any way shape or form compromise his total time in the GP. What a tool.

I’ve always given MV the benefit of the doubt, but this just takes the cake. He had literally nothing to lose and everything to gain, in that he had no chance of winning (so increasing his win share this year) and had he helped Perez Secure P2, he might have been totally free to go for the win next week without upsetting the team.

Complete selfish, shortsighted idiot doing anything so as not to upset his Daddy.

IdleJon

Oh dear, it looks like the Max vs Checo thing is going to rumble on for a while.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-max-verstappens-mother-calls-out-sergio-perez-for-cheating-in-monaco-fumes-f1-twitter/

Was that article written by a 12 year old? Among other terrible bits of writing..

Nevertheless, the comment made by Kumpen defending her son for betraying Perez has fumed the F1 fans.

I must admit that my attention wasn’t fully on the race but I don’t recall this bit…

Staring on medium tyres after the safety car, Perez found himself falling down the grid until eventually, his own teammate overtook him.

But Verstappen was given the pass on Perez on a condition. Both the drivers were told that if the 2-time world champion was not able to pass Fernando Alonso in P5, he would swap places with the Mexican.

Was that arranged by radio?

multi21
    Free Member

Was that article written by a 12 year old? Among other terrible bits of writing..

No but the writer is Indian. I think it’s just non-standard English plus a bit of social media-itis. I didn’t pick the article in particular, it’s just the first one i found which had a working picture of the instgram post from Max’s mum about Checo cheating on his wife after monaco.

Regarding the team orders, yes that’s correct. I think they said if he can get onto Leclerc, he could keep the place, otherwise give it back to checo. But he refused.

edit- i was nearly right, from the transcript:

So don’t fight Max. If on the last lap you’re together we’ll swap back.

IdleJon

Regarding the team orders, yes that’s correct. I think they said if he can get onto Leclerc, he could keep the place, otherwise give it back to checo. But he refused.

edit- i was nearly right, from the transcript:

So don’t fight Max. If on the last lap you’re together we’ll swap back.

I was peeling potatoes and making Sunday roast so I must have missed that!

P20

Hulk to Haas. Looks like the end for Mick

Kato

Double post! Link here though

pleased to see Hulk back mind you

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63649394

nickc

Mick seems like a likeable guy, but he’s certainly not had a great season with lots of unforced errors.

Daffy

Didn’t Magnussen famously tell Nico to “suck his balls” live on air during a press interview? Should be an interesting pairing. They’ll certainly push one another.

Hulkenberg’s an unusual driver. He comprehensively thumped Sainz in 2018, but was demolished by Riciardo in the following season, whilst Sainz and Norris were equally matched, but then Norris battered Riciardo…It’s all a bit confusing. I suppsoe Norris was in his rookie years and still had the measure of Sainz, and thus maybe had the beating of DR.

Despite the points saying otherwise on races where they both finished, Hulkenberg was also better than Perez in 2016.

the-muffin-man

Sensible from Haas IMO – if they build a decent car they should be mid-field constructors by the end of next season.

Michael has been the only good Schumacher so far. Mick was average at best.

nickc

BBC Sounds have done a podcast about Malaren/Ferrari Spygate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dgcsr4

thols2

Michael has been the only good Schumacher so far. Mick was average at best.

From what I remember, Ralf was a decent driver. Not as good as Michael, but that’s a very standard to compare anyone to.

Twodogs

Well, I’m probably alone in this, but I can’t help thinking there must be better drivers around than Hulkenberg. Ok, Mick may not be it, but surely they can do better than a 38 year old who holds the record for most starts without a podium….

Twodogs

Oh and for anyone interested this week’s “beyond the grid” podcast interviews Vettel….he’s usually a very good interviewee.

nickc

there must be better drivers around than Hulkenberg.

He gives a “good interview” I’ve never been that impressed with him either.

jamesoz

Hulkenberg’s an unusual driver. He comprehensively thumped Sainz in 2018, but was demolished by Riciardo in the following season, whilst Sainz and Norris were equally matched, but then Norris battered Riciardo…It’s all a bit confusing

I think some of the bigger drivers have struggled with the heavier cars and minimum weights in the past.

the-muffin-man

Well, I’m probably alone in this, but I can’t help thinking there must be better drivers around than Hulkenberg.

Trouble is the junior series aren’t producing mega talent at the minute, and those who do show promise are on other teams junior programmes.

Hulk isn’t the best, but he will consistently bring in the points.

Superlicence rules should be relaxed so they could pop one of the leading Indy drivers in.

thols2

there must be better drivers around than Hulkenberg.

I think he’s considered to be a safe choice. He’s never going to be champion, but he’s mature and isn’t going to bin it every week like rookies tend to do, and he’s fast enough to pick up points when opportunity arises.

nickc

Yeah, I listened to an interview with Gunther yesterday and he was saying the Hass’ target is a return to the front of the mid table – like 2018 when they finished 5th. I can understand having a driver combo like Magnusson (who was a driver in 2018) and Hulkenberg being a solid choice for them.

mashr

Hulkenburg and Magnusson is a really boring line up. At least if you keep the young driver there’s a chance/hope that they have a breakthrough, these guys aren’t going anywhere

Viewing 40 posts - 2,961 through 3,000 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.