• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

2018 looks like my last season of watching F1 anyway, as I’m not going to pay Rupert Murdoch for the privilege. Hey ho

good man re murdoch boycott. Have you have heard of internet streaming ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don’t plan on giving Murdoch a penny either, I’d rather not watch F1 than fund his megalomania.

But I do approve of the direction of the regs. Ideally, F1 cars would be powered by high-revving V10 or V12 engines, but it’s obvious that this is a non-starter for engine manufacturers who want tech to trickle down when the marketplace demands energy efficiency and hybrid power. I’ll settle for an affordable high revving turbo V6 with noisy bits.

One thing that F1 is short of is engine constructors. I’d love to see the likes of BMW, Porsche and Cosworth back in the sport, preferably with a few more cars on the grid.

sockpuppet

Isn’t the MGUH the thing that lets them avoid turbo lag, spinning up the turbo before there’s exhaust pressure?

Without it, will we be back to lag? They can’t go down the WRC anti lag route because of fuel economy surely?

legend
    Free Member

I really hope the fuel bit is just along the lines of “you’re getting X litres – go!”

Also, lag is good! But won’t be anything like 80’s levels sadly

hols2
    Free Member

Isn’t the MGUH the thing that lets them avoid turbo lag, spinning up the turbo before there’s exhaust pressure?

They will still use some form of anti-lag, but won’t harvest extra energy from the exhaust to charge batteries.

igm

legend – Member
    I really hope the fuel bit is just along the lines of “you’re getting X litres – go!”

I’d like the whole engine spec to go this way, but with a requirement to publish engine designs at the end of the season too.

newrobdob
    Free Member

What do people think of these new proposals? (Not that the article really explains it very well).

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41857101

I hate it when Ferrari moan about things and threaten to pull out but they might have a point. The whole point of being an engine supplier with your own design is to increase your prestige. I can’t see the point in having a Ferrari or Mercedes team without them having their own design of engines each.

tjagain

I would like to see air restrictions on the intake, fuel limits and a limit of the weight of batteries then anything goes in engine design – Is a supercharged V twin best? Or an h16 layout?

air restrictions on the intake shuld mean a limit to the total power no matter the configuration of the engine, fuel limits force efficiency, limit on the battery size means that you cannot start with a gazillion kwhr of power at three start

shermer75
    Free Member

good man re murdoch boycott. Have you have heard of internet streaming ?

Yep but no idea where to start. Where do you start?

newrobdob
    Free Member

I reckon they should just limit the amount of fuel they can use drastically and some basic dimensions of the car restricted. Then nothing else is limited. Then we’d reallt see who can make the super cars of the future.

slackalice
    Free Member

^ I think you best be following Formula E if you want the supercars of the future 😉

hols2
    Free Member

What do people think of these new proposals?

I doubt that they’ll make much difference. As Renault have pointed out, removing the energy recovery from the turbo will require a complete redesign of the whole engine, so whoever starts earliest and has the most money to throw at it will have an advantage for the introduction of the new regulations. After a year or two, the engines will converge in performance, so whoever has the best aero department will dominate.

shermer75
    Free Member

Pook – Member 

Not long now. My money’s on Lewis. Might be able to get some good odds

I think that was money well spent!! 🙂

tjagain

Yep but no idea where to start. Where do you start?

PM me and I can give you links. best kept of the publicpages I guess

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like Massa is calling it a day (again!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41870426

Moe

Alonso has a point!

Wouldn’t it be great if there was more fluidity in the driver market?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m liking Adrian Newey even more now!!

one of the best ways to upset Ron Dennis is to sit down in his office, where he’ll usually have a few piles of papers neatly stacked on his desk, and just tip one of those piles by a few millimetres, knowing he’ll then focus on that pile for ages, because he won’t be sure whether you’ve straightened it or made it crooked.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11116300/adrian-newey-on-f1-gamesmanship-catching-out-ferrari-and-mclaren-life-under-ron-dennis

Moe

….. perhaps a clue as to why McLaren are in the position they are now?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep!

newrobdob
    Free Member

“Meanwhile, if you were part of the workforce, you had to enter the building walking down a circular staircase into an underground corridor with a grey floor and white walls; it felt like you were entering some Orwellian film. You’d then walk back up another circular staircase into the middle of the building, to your workstation.

“I hated walking through the corridor, so instead I would walk along the grass verge, then cross the inner road and enter through the race bay where the trucks were parked.

“I was spotted doing this by the constantly watched bank of CCTV monitors in the basement and sent an email warning me that if I did not revert to using the prescribed route into the office I would face ‘an internal examination’. Crikey.”

😯 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like Lando Norris and George Russell will be competing with each other next year! (In F2)

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/11/insight-the-significance-of-george-russells-f1-outings-for-force-india/

Should be interesting to watch!

Bez

Bez – Member
    Here’s hoping it rains again in Brazil and we get a Hamilton vs Verstappen battle up front

From BBC F1:

“The forecast in Brazil for race weekend is thundery showers.”

*rubs hands gleefully*

😀

the-muffin-man

More Renault engine problems today – suddenly the Honda engine is looking reliable!

Alonso in the wrong team at the wrong time again in 2018!? 😕

thepurist

Another outing for Bobby K by the looks of it. If he does get a drive next year I hope he’s still got that all the speed he had and that the car is competitive. Even if it’s just 1 year it’d be a hell of a comeback.

Pook

Anyone else think Hammo’s crash was a little bit suspect?

bruneep

in what way?

shermer75
    Free Member

I hadn’t until now. What’s your thinking?

legend
    Free Member

Clearly they put the wheels on sideways

pondo

I’m liking Adrian Newey even more now!!

Ooo, I bet that’ll be a book worth reading! 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

it felt like you were entering some Orwellian film

It always reminds me of something out of a James Bond film especially walking through the underground tunnel linking the main building to where the road cars are built.

Some of the doors have big sticky mats on the floor infront of them to remove dirt from your feet too, first time I stepped on one I wondered what was going on as I nearly couldn’t lift my foot up again. The place is virtually spotless 😯

Pook

in what way?

Having won it already, he wanted to get himself out of the remaining competition to let Bottas have a crack by himself with no input/help from Hamo.

igm

No chance

milky1980
    Free Member

The car’s balance had just shifted slightly rearwards between sessions is my take on it. So when HAM expected the car to go through the corner in a neutral drift the back end started sliding first and on that corner there’s no recovering it. Simple spin but if it had happened at another circuit he would have just slid to a stop on the acres of asphalt. Being Interlagos he found the barrier, bigger penalty.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No chance

+1

He sat in that car for ages after hitting the wall, clearly having a very strong word with himself.

slowoldman

I’m waiting for the whistleblower.

His interview with Lee summed up his attitude to me. Going on about putting these things behind you and moving on, whilst having a real sulk on.

Bez

The car’s balance had just shifted slightly rearwards between sessions is my take on it. So when HAM expected the car to go through the corner in a neutral drift the back end started sliding first and on that corner there’s no recovering it.

Isn’t that a forward shift of balance, and didn’t Massa recover oversteer on that corner? 😉

Looked to me like the chassis bottomed out and combined with the downshift the back end lost grip, but it’s pretty hard to call from the Internet without your bum in the seat or a pile of telemetry. Hamilton had the benefit of both and his reaction seems easy enough to read.

simondbarnes

Sounded like a reasonable race.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I enjoyed it. Lots of racing going on and Hamilton was having fun.

Pook

Cracking race

milky1980
    Free Member

Good race that, last to fourth for HAM is impressive.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.