Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • External email and gmail Q – deleting old emails
  • munkster
    Free Member

For quite a while I have been receiving my own domain’s email into Gmail but going into my own hosting I note that the disk space my email mailboxes is using is starting to creep up to the hosting limit.

Question: if I have been downloading (?) my own email into Gmail, can I now delete the emails off my own webmail server, or will it then be deleted forever? I very rarely use my own webmail and “trust” Gmail to archive it all so it won’t make a lot of difference if it’s not on my webmail.

I’m just unsure whether the email is now duplicated in Gmail basically, allowing me to delete the server copies. I am guessing so but am getting “the fear” when I hover over “delete”.

Thanks for any help!

leffeboy

I think the answer from your description is ‘yes’, but just do a test by deleting a single mail in your hosting then see if it deletes in Gmail.  Leave it a day or to to be sure. It’s going to depend on how you set up the pickup but I think you are correct

simon_g

This is exactly what I do to forward domain mail into gmail – yes, safe to delete from your hosting account.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘External email and gmail Q – deleting old emails’ is closed to new replies.