Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Exposure STVZO compliant (German spec) road lights.
  • BadlyWiredDog

Oddly listed under mountain bike lights, Exposure appears to be about to release a range of STVZO compliant, German-spec road lights with a proper cut-off beam. Sorry if it’s been mentioned already, but I’ve not seen anything.

Liking the look of the Optix All Terrain, which seems to mix a 4000-lumen off road light with the ability to run an STVZO compliant low beam on the road. Unfortunately it says it’ll retail for, erm, £385, but it does look pretty good. Or there’s a 1000-lumen, low beam only one.

Quite cool.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks pretty cool, how does it know yo’re off road though?

Bez

I can’t get excited by them given that for the same price I can build a dyno front wheel and have a pair of lights that run forever without charging.

Batteries are more appealing off-road due to the lower speeds, but on road… meh.

But I imagine that a StVZO compliant Revo would cost as much as a small patch of land in Berkshire.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

I’m guessing it has switches and stuff. Or maybe Exposure will embrace technological overkill and create an app which you can load onto your phone and use to tell it that you’re now off road. Petzl has a head torch with a rear red light which you can only switch on and off using a smartphone app. It is rubbish.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i asked for stvzo  revo years ago .

was told no demand.

bought B+M

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t get excited by them given that for the same price I can build a dyno front wheel and have a pair of lights that run forever without charging.

Batteries are more appealing off-road due to the lower speeds, but on road… meh.

I guess it depends how many different bikes you run. I like of the idea of a single bar light that I can use on the road between off-road trails without dazzling the hell out of oncoming traffic. Or use purely off road. Or use on the road bike. All without having to have three or four dynamo-hubbed wheels. i don’t like the price though 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

i asked for stvzo  revo years ago .

was told no demand.

bought B+M

Maybe they discovered export markets just in time for Brexit.

IHN

Look nice, but classing a 1000lm light as ‘low-beam is interesting; 1000lm is mentally over-powered for road use.

I use a Moon X-Power front light, and on my own on an unlit road the lowest setting (120lm) is fine, and that’s without any road specific beam magic, so a lot of those 120lm are “wasted”. The highest setting (500lm) causes is great when needs be (fast descents), but it’s rare that I need it.

I did an overnight ride this year and there were plenty of folks with sun-like lights, and it’s horrific when they come up behind you as you’re essentially riding in your own shadow.

BadlyWiredDog

I did an overnight ride this year and there were plenty of folks with sun-like lights, and it’s horrific when they come up behind you as you’re essentially riding in your own shadow.

I suspect the cut-off beam’s going to make the shadow thing less of an issue. And equally, if they’re like other Exposure lights, you’ll be able to reduce the output to suit your preferences / needs. It’s not saying that 1000 lumens is the minimum power level, it’s the max presumably, the beam is ‘low’ in the same sense that a car dip-beam is low.

IHN

Yeah, fair enough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But I imagine that a StVZO compliant Revo would cost as much as a small patch of land in Berkshire.

To be fair the revo is in the price ballpark of SON, supernova and Klite dynamo lamps and is probably the one that looks least like it was made in a shed.

I like the idea of a dynamo (I’ve just bought one to build up), but an all in one battery powered unit with a weeks commuting runtime is a pretty good alternative.

aP
    Free Member

Living in west London, and cycling in and around there I can say with absolute certainty that any cyclist with a massively powerful front light with no road legal beam cut-off will use every single one of those expensive aluminium encased lumens, And just for good luck the lamp will be pointed forwards horizontal to the ground.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Ooh that looks interesting. My commute is a mixture of unlit lanes, gravel tracks and about 3km on the A9 cycle path where I’m basically riding on a path towards on coming dual carriageway traffic. That looks perfect.

martymac

I’m quite interested in the ebike ones, I like the idea of running my light off the bike battery.

Exposure are always a bit pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for ime/o.

Shred
    Free Member

That does look interesting.  I’ve just got a B&M IXON Space for my road bike.  I really like the cut off beam on the road, and I already have a MaxxD for off road, but this at a better price point for a single light would be interesting.

benp1

That Ixon Space looks good. I have the Ixon Core, was a nice little light (till it got nicked)

Currently have a Strada which is better than a normal light but not quite german cutoff road beam. Works OK for the odd bit of mountain biking though

MSP

I would have thought they could easily adapt the optix strasse to run from dynamo instead of battery, I would buy one in a flash if they did.

stumpy01

The Strasse one looks interesting, but I don’t ride enough to justify £245 on a light when I’ve got other lights to use.

I am tempted by the B&M Ixon, but dubious it is bright enough for dark country roads littered with pot holes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Exposure STVZO compliant (German spec) road lights.’ is closed to new replies.