Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Exposure Maxx-D alternatives?
  • longmover
    Free Member

I am sending my Maxx-D back, it is 3 months old and is a warranty replacement for one which was dead out of the box. I’m sending it back because it turns on flashes immediately then turns off, or will stay on for 30 seconds then turn off. After 2 lights I don’t want another one. What are the alternatives for around £250?

For balance, I have had an Exposure Sirius for 3 years and it has been faultless.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Out of interest was the warranty an in store replacement or direct? Did they replace the charger at the same time?

longmover
    Free Member

It was a whole new light and charger when it was replaced, it was an in store replacement.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Curiously I had a string of DOA arrivals with similar issues to yours….

Was it an Evans purchase perchance ?

longmover
    Free Member

It was from Wiggle

crazy-legs

It was from Wiggle

I had some dead from the box Exposure lights from Wiggle a few years ago. Just the little dinky Flash & Flare ones.
    Wiggle replaced them immediately, no quibbles.

Every other Exposure light I’ve bought (and I’ve got a few), I’ve bought direct and they’ve been faultless.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Stick with it?

I bought one recently and have been really pleased with it so far. Seems to be a pretty good light and I’m getting good time out of the battery.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Exposure Maxx D ..10 years ..faultless.
    Sanguan SG-N2200..about 5 years ..also faultless I paid £90.00 for these and they totally out perform the Exposure light albeit that they have a lead to the battery which sits in my camelbak as I have these helmet mounted .
    If I only had the choice of using one set it would be the SG ..

20171004_124313 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

Yak

Four4th Holy Moses.
    Or just get it replaced again?

trail_rat
    Free Member

does anyone make anything with similar power that doesnt have do deal with the crappy cables leading to bags ?

longmover
    Free Member

After 2 of them I would like a light I can trust rather than get a third. Not having an external battery pack was a big part of the draw for me.

Any experiences of the Hope R4 or R8, I know they have seperate battery packs but are they any good and reliable?

Yak

I have sent back old hopes and exposures in the past for repair work. Exposure never charged me, and hope never did for 2 repairs, one of which was out of warranty. The 3rd did cost me, but only because they were running short of driver boards.

In short, they can all fail so pick a company with a good repair policy and quick turnaround time.

Four4th and Exposure are the companies I see supporting racing with lighting back-up, so I would choose from them. On a lower budget, I would choose from the mtb batteries range. Also great back-up and very fast turnaround from them (smudge).

woody2000
    andybrad

tbh ive had my exposures back a few times. Not sure if i would but again but their service is good.

I was led to believe the product was bomb proof, which it isnt.

much better than the 30 quid Chinese ones though but not 200 quid more.

whitestone
    Free Member

My wife has a Hope R4. There was a problem shortly after purchase but it was fixed and has been fine ever since which is probably three years now.

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these after being in the same boat as you:

http://www.full-beam.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SYS_SLED_FUS3

It’s 3 years old now and i’ve had no issues at all with it, the beam pattern is great and it’s very bright. i don’t bother with the speed sensor, they never seem to work very well.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Gemini titan. 4000 lumens on max power and last well over 2 hours on max with the 8 cell battery. Not self contained like the exposure, but assuming it’s going on the bars having a separate battery pack isn’t a hassle. Also has a blue tooth remote which is one of those things that you never knew you needed until you tried it. Winstanleysbikes are doing the 8 cell for £215 at the moment (rrp £280) and the 6 cell at £250?? Only had mine for a month so can’t testify to long term reliability, but it’s been great so far in ease of fitting, use and general lighting stuff up!

hodgynd
    Free Member

I was just about to copy in the Lifeline Pavo which Woody 2000 mentioned a few posts up ..worth a shout at £136.00..and self contained .

fatmax

I got a Maxx-D from Evanss years ago, in the sales, so a previous year’s model. One of the bulbs/LEDs didn’t work from purchase. Sent it back, got a replacement and it’s been fantastic ever since (touches wood). Would get another in the blink of an eye. And it’s survived a few drops on the floor.

goffy63
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Maxxd D mk10 (latest model) brilliant light, my mates got a Hope R8(now on ebay!) but now wants one of these.

steeyuv
    Free Member

the lifeline Pavo 2000 looks a good option…tempted myself.

chakaping
    Free Member

I considered a Maxx D but went for the Toro as it’s cheaper, lighter and has enough run time for my needs.

Provides plenty enough illumination. Modern lights are so good.

leffeboy

Modern lights are so good.

Got to agree with that. Unfortunately the brackets and cables on the cheaper ones are still shit which is where the Exposure wins

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I’ve never had much trouble with any of my lights, but I am a convert to Exposure for convenience and useability.

jordie
    Free Member

R8 is a good light however the mount is pretty poor, on bumpy singletrack it shakes around make the light beam strobe.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Maxx-D alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.