Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Exposure joystick or Diablo
  • simonb51
    Free Member

Looking a new light for my helmet and will be marching it up with a light on the bar.  These two take my fancy because of the no leads etc.

Who has these and what’s your thoughts? Is the Diablo with the extra coin and weight?

ogden
    Free Member

General consensus is if you can afford the Diablo get that, if not the joystick is really good anyway.

escrs
    Free Member

Cant comment on the Joystick as i have the Diablo

Diablo is great, lots of light, i don’t notice the weight on my head

Only downside is if you run it on full power it only lasts 90 mins

Have a Six pack on the bars so not too much of an issue

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Diablo, and even though i do notice it (more the movement than actual weight) i would go for the more light is better arguement all day.

BadlyWiredDog

As a helmet light back-up to a bar light I actually prefer the Joystick. It’s got a great, focussed beam and the Exposure helmet mount sits the light far enough above the helmet that you can actually feel the relatively small difference in weight.

If I were trying to ride with a helmet light only, I’d go Diablo and ditto if I wanted to use it as an occasional back-up bar light, but for helmet use with a bright, floody bar-light, where you’re basically just filling in gaps and adding perspective, the Joystick makes more sense to me. I have both btw.

Edit: as a late summer ‘just in case’ system, a Joystick headlight together with a Diblo on the bars works pretty well for an hour or so and takes up minimal pack space, but obviously, you need both lights for that.

vincienup
    Free Member

Probably depends if you want helmet light as primary and how insanely bright your bar light is if helmet light is secondary for you.

The Joystick is nearly three times the number of lumens it was at launch by now, and power ratings for lamps in general have become a little insane for solo riders and are at the point where runtime and spread pattern are the only real considerations unless you ride with a group who are engaged in a lighting arms race.

If you are using two lights together then the attributes of the main light will determine whether a joystick or Diablo best suits your needs.

Personally I’m still happy with my old MaxxD/Joystick combo at 1600/450.  It works for me, but I tend not to group ride.

nixie

Only downside is if you run it on full power it only lasts 90 mins

60 minutes for the current one at best! Mine last 55 minutes which is apparently within tolerances.

I have a Diablo (1 year old), I’d not buy another. The battery life on full is not good. The tap feature is useless even when helmet mounted (light will change mode several times during a downhill). Its also quite big. Instead I’d get a four4th scorch (https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorch/). More power, the tap feature is on the lens so does not get accidentally activated, the battery expansion is better (imo) and I think the mount is more stable. Couple of friends have them and I wish I’d gone that route.

jam-bo

Why not the axis?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Diablo here but have had similiar issues with the run time. I have reset the settings and charged it full and it seems to be ok and runs as per Exposure’s times now.

If it works it’s great. Used to run a gloworm on the hemet gret light but the battery pack was a pain

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

General consensus is if you can afford the Diablo get that, if not the joystick is really good anyway.

I have a Diablo, but have tried a mates mk13 Joystick, and I’d prefer that for MTB tbh, nice tight spot, I feel the Diablo is a bit too floody.

scud
    Free Member

I went for the Joystick (mk 12) over the Diablo as i with bikepacking i could get the headband and use it is a a headtorch which has been good, Diablo doesn’t fit, not important but might be consideration to some, saves separate headtorch.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have Mk12 Joystick and the latest Diablo, prefer the Joystick as lighter with longer run time, but obviously not as bright, tap feature on the Diablo sounds good on paper but in practice it keeps changing mode when you don’t want it to.

timc
    Free Member

I have a diablo & like it a lot, right compromise for my riding, matched with a D Max on the bars.

stevemorg2

Happy with a Joystick on the helmet when paired with my Gloworm set up on the bars but on the odd occasion I’ve gone out with just the Joystick i felt a bit underwhelmed – too much of a spot to use on it’s own – if money isn’t an issue I’d go for the Diablo but that Four4th  linked to above looks good!

scruff
    Free Member

I feel like my diablo is bit too heavy for helmet use, but I’m very sensitive.

Del

diabolo here too. you don’t have to run it at max, and that way battery will last longer, if that’s what you want.

mine is only switched on for descents and the to/fro on the road.

tall_martin

I’ve had a diabolo for 2 winters.

Chose it over the joystick for extra light.

It’s been great! I run it on low power unless it’s a tricky bit. For my local 2/3h rides it’s been perfect with an 6 pack on the bars.

For bike packing I put it on the bars during the day and run it on my head on its own at night.

woody2000

Axis mk5 is £125 (you can find a £5 off voucher easily too) at Sigma sports.  I’ve just got one to replace my aging Joystick and it’s really good – a better spread than the Joystick without being too floody.  The TAP thing seems naff so I’ve turned it off.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Diablo here paired with a MaxxD both about t years old. Ride fairly briskly and run both on medium unless we doing the quickest of the downhills then I go for full power and when we hit the flat/climbs go back to medium. Generally get a 3 hour ride time so seems OK?

joystick is significantly lighter but the Diablo is bearable.

el_boufador

I have a joystick, diablo and maxx d. Exactly what bady wired dog said.

simonb51
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies.  Both lights have for sure pros and cons for what I want.  I was more or less sure I’d be going with the Diablo but after this thread and a bit more reading round the net I think the mk13 Joystick will do.  I’ll be running lights on the bars so a tighter spot for looking round corners etc.

Might even see if the LSB has some to rent out for a night.

sandwicheater

Per Jam bo, don’t overlook the axis.

Sits square in the middle of the pare.

I’ve the joystick and will likely replace with the newer model or the axis.

Been faultless for 3 years. Often use it as my only light if someones dies mid ride.

Use it as my commuter light too, it’s just mega.

Do like the diablo but i’ve a delicate lady neck and really notice the extra mass.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Exposure joystick or Diablo’ is closed to new replies.