Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Exposure Diablo on helmet. Safety and other stuff? A pic, yes, pic!
  • Poopscoop

Going to start doing some night riding on the North Downs as the hollow ways etc are magical at night. Slightly scary too.😉

Ok, the bolt holding the lights clamp is nylon so a “break away” point, but I think a branch is most likely to just rip it out of the U clamp.

So… I’ve linked the lanyard through a hole in the helmet. It looks a bit bodged though.

So if it came off it will probably just hit my neck or something. If it comes off entirely, breaking the lanyard and the light is on I should find it ok…. But if switched off I will be relying on the lanyard not to lose it.

Is there a better way of mounting this light, or is my solution the norm?

Cheers guys!

rickon
    Free Member

I’m not convinced the light will be pointing high enough where it is. Might need to go back one position.

I’ve run Exposure lights on my lid for years, and never had one get knocked off. I just pop it on when it’s dark, if it falls off, then it’ll be easy to find.

Poopscoop

Cheers mate.

I can indeed move it back so it’s right on the top of the lid. I’ll have a multitool with me when I go out so I can adjust the position if no good.

You don’t use the lanyard?

Andy

That exactly the way I have fitted my Diablo to my helmet for 3 years. I do the looped lanyard thing but have never needed it, but its good to know if it does get clipped by a branch it will swing round and maim you rather than being lost. And yeah you might want to move it to the next hole back so it points forward when riding.

Poopscoop

Cheers mate. I’ll keep the lanyard but sounds like I need to move the mount.👍

As always, thanks for the tips guys!

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s good to see a well organised and tidy workspace! 😉

mattbee

I’ve run either Joystick or Equinox on my helmet for years now.

I have had the light knocked out of the mount a couple of times hitting it on low branches/trees but the lanyard has saved it from disappearing.

Just end up with a second or two of confusion as it gets darker and something starts tapping your back/shoulders!

To my knowledge the lanyard has never snagged but it does have that plastic breakaway clip bit so if it did I expect that would work as well as the rest of the system

benp1

I’ve ruined one helmet and dented another by having a light on there

Hit a branch so hard it knocked the light out and ripped the light off the helmet with souch force the lanyard ripped straight through the foam. Gutted

On another time I hit a branch so hard it knocked the light off but dented the helmet at the same time. Not sure if it was the branch or the light that did it

However, I still use a joystick and diablo on my helmets for road and off road riding

joebristol

Benp1 – you need a brighter light to see where you’re going if you keep riding into branches!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m not convinced the light will be pointing high enough where it is.

+1

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I use a non breakaway lanyard on mine, coz that’s what i have.

Good job too as the light did get knocked off by a low branch before it was dark enough to have the light on. I woudlnt have known the light had even been knocked off if it wasn’t on a lanyard, and would never have found it.

drofluf
    Free Member

I’ve been using the same set up with a Joystick for several years. Obviously I lack the the branch dodging skillzz gene as mine’s come off several times. In all but one event the lanyard held; the time it failed was in daylight…

Exposure wouldn’t sell me a replacement though, instead sent me one FoC. Top guys!

BadlyWiredDog

Is there a better way of mounting this light, or is my solution the norm?

They work quite neatly with a GoPro adaptor if your helmet has a built-in GoPro mount. Fwiw, the area of contact between your circular vent and the Exposure mount doesn’t look ideal in the pic, but if it feels secure, they work really well, but do sit the light a little high, which I think you can feel with a Diablo in particular.

I’d also try the helmet with the light in the current position before moving it. Bear in mind the Diablo is quite floody, so not as fussy as a Joystick for aim.

The other option, which isn’t going to work with your helmet, is to mount it on a longitudinal vent cushioned on some sort of dense foam pad using zip-ties or Velcro straps. It mounts the light lower, which reduces its leverage and feels better ime, particularly with something slightly heavier like a Diablo. The downside is that you can’t really adjust it on the move.

With the lanyard, if you want lighter/neater you can always butcher the lanyard cord and rig some sort of thin loop through one of the vents. I did something like this with a bar-mounted Joystick on my cross-bike after it bounced out on a rocky descent, zip-tied the plastic connector piece onto the bar so I didn’t have to deal with great swathes of lanyard. At night you tend to notice if you lose a light, during the day, not so much.

I’m sure you could bodge an alternative, lower profile mounting method if you wanted to, one that’s more secure too in terms of branch strike – I’ve had Exposure helmet lights knocked off twice like that – but try the standard light fitting and see how it goes.

aide

Use the same style of lanyard safety device with my joystick. It’s never been used as such but is a bit of peace of mind for me.

benp1

I forgot to add, that when the lanyard was ripped out the helmet, my neck was jerked back pretty hard and it really hurt! poor me…

I was riding in the woods, low branches can be a nightmare (plus I’m 6’3 and with a MTB helmet and the exposure mount the light really is quite up there)

mulv1976
    Free Member

Setup looks fine to me, I run the same but higher on the helmet and with a GoPro mount adaptor instead. The original clamp snapped when I hit a tree branch.

ready

I returned from a night ride last week to find the lanyard and breakaway cord completely gone – but the light was still in the holder.

andybrad

not got a lanyard.

i use the mount on my mt500 which is now broken because its a rubbish design.

Poopscoop

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. I get why having the light mounted near the helmet would take away some of its weight leverage. I do notice it a bit on the helmet.

I’m also concerned about my head being yanked back as I’ve had neurosurgery in the past and have 3 herniated discs in my neck!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Diablo on helmet. Safety and other stuff? A pic, yes, pic!’ is closed to new replies.