• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Exposure bar light
  • mattvanders
    Free Member

I already have an exposure Diablo head torch but want to get a bar torch as well. What are the actual differences between six pack, maxx d and tora in real word usage?

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve just changed from an aging 1200 lumen Maxx D to a 2100 lumen Race. I really don’t need any more light, combined with my Joystick.

You may ride faster, more gnar than me. Most people do.

ehrob

i run an axis helmet light and a maxx d on the bars, the latest models.

they produce a completely ridiculous amount of highly usable light.

i have never used a six pack, but i think you’d only need one if you’re doing rides that require very long burn times at max power. the maxx d is a very powerful light.

can’t comment on the tora.

BenjiM

I find that the Tora and Diablo are a good combination. The Tora does’t seem that powerful on it’s own but combine it with the Diablo on it’s lowest setting and it works really well.

tenfoot

I have an older 1600 lumen Maxx D coupled with a Joystick on my helmet. Plenty bright enough for me and the Maxx D floods nicely.

lardman
    Free Member

They’d all be fab lights if they made a robust mount. Plastic clip things are absolute shy-te

iainc

^^^ the regular bar mount is a metal clamp with a qr button. Works perfectly..

BenjiM

@lardman for which light? The helmets or the bar mounts? I”ve not had a problem with either to be honest. There is a good metal mount that exposure make and comes with the larger lights. Granted the plastic helmet one will probably wear a bit if it’s used a lot but it does the job for me.:)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Put the diablo on the bars, and get a mk14 joystick, brilliant wee light on the lid.

benp1

Differences are weight and size. But also power and runtime

Bigger heavier ones will give you more power on a 24 hour setting than the smaller ones, but they’ll all be powerful enough for most riding

I’ve always thought on the toro as being the sweet spot for my riding. I’m still using a strada

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve only even see – or received with a light, the plastic ‘pop-in’ fitting. The helmet one is fragile, and I’ve been through 2 of them. They’re also not a cheap bit of plastic at more than £20.

I’m using a Diable on the helmet, but also have an axis.

May look into the bar mount then, if there’s a better engineered solution than a flexible plastic clip.

Great lights, but I’ve not bought a newer one because of the cheap/fragile mounting option.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used the plastic bar and helmet mount for years, no issues at all.

The metal mount comes with the larger lights.

lardman
    Free Member

Well, for me, the QR plastic bar mount would just not stay stil. Vibrated with every root and imprecise to position.

Having just looked at the bar mount (solid clamp version) it might work more solidly.

The £22 helmet clamp is just not very good. Cheap plastic screw which rounds very easily if you have to move the light between helmets. It’s also snapped twice at the ‘ball/socket’ junction with little encouragement.

Even though I’d like to use it as a helmet light ideally, I may try the other bar clamp.

jkomo

Lardman I think the plastic helmet mount needs to be a bit fragile so if you crash it shatters and doesn’t create a point impact delivering the hit straight passed the helmet into your head.
    That said, I lost a £50 commuter light that just came out, without me crashing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That said, I lost a £50 commuter light that just came out, without me crashing.

At 50 quid I’m guessing it wasn’t an exposure light? You can’t expect their clamps to fit other brands.

MoreCashThanDash

My helmet mounts have been rock solid, though I have one on each helmet to save faffing. I thought the lanyard was meant to stop the light being lost if it did come out?

And I’m assuming some crash protection should be built in with anything helmet mounted, given the supposed Schumacher situation.

And again, the bar mounts with the big lights are superb. Seem to recall the instructions suggest that the pop in handlebar mounts aren’t intended for “proper” off road?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Just the thread I wanted as I’m considering replacing an ageing magicshine and already run a joystick on my helmet.

davosaurusrex

Axis and a Six Pack here. Mates have Maxx D’s which are more than enough but I like running mine on high the majority of the time on 2 to 3 hour night rides. They don’t like me riding behibd them though….

Not a fan of Exposure mounts either so I have a Burgtec stem with the Gopro faceplate and a Gopro helmet mount with the specific Exposure Gopro mounts, works perfectly.

StuF

Six pack here, more than enough for my 2-3 hr night rides (fields / bridleways), but nice to know it’s not the end of the world if I’ve forgotten to charge it before heading out.

renton
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Maxx D from Tredz for £300 which I thought was a bargain.

It is mega bright and puts my MTB batteries Lumenator to shame. The light is so usable as well.

Going to see about an exposure rear light to pair with it too

oikeith

I picked up a month or so ago a MAxx D MK12 with a Diablo MK11, the LBS I went too didn’t have the six pack in stock (thankfully) I was aware it was more money and brighter but after chatting to the guys who get on fine with the older Maxx D for over night races I picked it up. The Maxx D in its brightest mode is 3600 lumens and it def lights up the trails well enough for me to ride the local tech, jump spot as quick as I do in the day.

It came with a metal bar clamp which is hinged but not quick release, a rubber strip came with it which goes between it and the bar and I have had no issues with it moving and have hit 5ft drops and 30ft doubles in the dark with it in.

The Diablo came with the plastic helmet bracket, because my helmet has a go pro mount built in, I picked up the go pro mount and have had no issues with it, it grips the Diablo really well and if anything happens I use the provided lanyard to secure it to the helmet so wont lose it.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I run a maxxd and mate has 6 pack. Both far brighter than needed, 6 pack is noticeably brighter and runs a bit longer, but is heavier and bigger.

I run mine with mk11 joystick on me hat…

Both are superb lights. Spendy but worth it. I ride for about an hour and half when its dark and have charged the maxxd a handful of times.

I bought 2 mounts to ride any bike (hardtail for ming) and its a 2 secomd swap.

ready

Just upgraded my Toro for a Maxx-D, and use a Diablo for helmet duties. Although the Toro was fine, the Maxx-D gives a bit more of a brighter spread for tighter, twistier forest rides.
    Expensive yes, but so very very good. Plus excellent back up should you have a problem!

Saccades
    Free Member

The stem mounted version, pretty much identical quick release for the light.

I still have a 10 year old race maxx that I use for late evening summer road spins coupled to a red eye.

My only gripe is that the reflex on my bars is too powerful compared to the joystick on my helmet.

The standard bar mount that came with the race maxx finally died through corrosion and was replaced free of charge by them at a race (and given a new lanyard).

Alex

3 year old MAXX-D and a 4 year old Diablo. So 3200/1100 lumens I think. Bright enough for sure. Mate just bought the new sixpack. Daylight basically 😉

To add to comments on here:

+ no cable design

+ reliable, well built, great support

+ Good beam patterns. Diablo would be too spotty for me on the bars tho.

– Agree on helmet mount. bit flimsy. Metal bar mount tho is super solid

– I do not like the ‘reflex’ technology at all. Just stick mine on ‘PGM 4’ and manage it via the button.

benp1

If you’re just using the button rather than reflex have a look at the remote. Comes with the strada but you can get it separately

Mine is set up permanently on my bars (cables goes under the tape on my jones loops), much easier to change setting when riding as my hands don’t need to leave the bars

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Exposure bar light’ is closed to new replies.