Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Exposure 24/12 – the sanitised edition!
  • Kryton57

Well, it must be time for a roll call and some banter? What tyres for…?

I’m in for the 12h, having just finished and feeling exhausted after 8 months of training and absolutely no idea where I could place, I just need to focus on my own race. Jnr will be with me racing the 24min race on Saturday.

Rumours are that the camping has move up the hill and the course will be slightly different this year. Also, the forecast looks dry, but we all know the Newham micro climate means that won’t be true at the weekend 🤪. Various pics are starting to be shown via FB and Instagram. This weekend though is the XC Nationals which does look like a damp race so the course will be well worn in by the time we get there.

My biggest challenge? Likely putting up my new tent which hasn’t been out of the box yet…

jonnybike
    Free Member

Yeah I am in for the 24 hour race it will be my first one.

My training has consisted of training for the GBDIVDE then completing it a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how I will do. I wont be taking it too seriously just going to try and keep a steady pace and stop as little as possible.

If by some miracle I end up in a good position I might start taking it seriously but its unlikely!

Although my shock is currently off being serviced so none of this might happen if it doesn’t come back in time, or I will be doing it on my long travel bike..

abingham

I’m doing the new Enduro there on Friday, nowhere near fit enough (physically or mentally!) to race the 24/12.

I’ll be riding a bright green Ragley hardtail if anyone wants to come and say hi!

mjsmke

12 hr for me. No serious training other than just riding more. My aim is to stop less.

Last time, rode a 130mm trail bike with a DHF and Ardent. That bike now has Forekasters which feels lighter and a bit faster rolling.
    Also have a rigid 29er with Ikons if the course isn’t too rough. Got Forekasters ready to go on that just in case.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

12hr old lags team with some ex-Torq riders – I fully expect to be blowing out of everywhere in a vain effort not to embarrass them!

crazyjenkins01

Was really hoping to give this a try (finally!) but alas we couldn’t find a last member to make up a team for the 24hr ;-(

Might have to pop down and spectate though if I have a bit of spare time!

dai1983
    Free Member

Doing the 12 hour and will be self supported as my “lady friend” can’t be my skivvy/support for the day. Have colleagues doing it in pairs but don’t expect them to help me out though we have a corporate marquee and everything.

Ordered a Vitus Rapide FS so may act as a shake down for that if it turns up. If not I’ll be on a boardman MHT in black with barzos or barzo/mezcal combo.

Prep is just getting out more and done a couple of 5 hour rides but not near a 12 hour. Will be my first 12 hour at 38 and looking forward to it but guess its gonna be tough.

dai1983
    Free Member

Also anyone know if they have running water on site? Have a Jerry can but would be nice to know I can refill it if needs be

mjsmke

Those of you riding solo – what do you carry with you while riding? I want to minimise what I carry this year to save weight.

jonnybike
    Free Member

Those of you riding solo – what do you carry with you while riding? I want to minimise what I carry this year to save weight.

I dont plan on carrying anything other than a water bottle and some food i will grab at the end of my lap and stuff in my pockets.

I did a 12 hour ride a couple of years ago and had several water bottles and food laid out on a table right next to the track so I can just pick something up as I passed.

Dont think I will carry any tools will just walk if it goes wrong..

andrewh
    Free Member

Two bottles, one drink mix and one plain water
    A couple of gels and a Mars bar or banana
    Tube
    2 gas
    Multi-tool inc chain tool and spoke key as well as hex keys and torx
    Quick link
    Tyre levers
    At night a spare helmet light, my bar light is enough but I like a back up
    Depending on weather/temp an extra base layer or waterproof rolled up in my pocket

stumpy01

@dai1983 – the have running water on site.
    Even with Covid, I can’t see that changing.
    They normally have taps at regular intervals along the road adjacent to the normal camping field.

richardk
    Free Member

In a team of 4 doing the 12hr race. All of us met when studying in Plymouth, so our team is named after that excellent instituion.  Having ‘Poly South West’ written on our tops probably looks like we are members of a different type of support group given the current meaning…

No aims other than to have fun riding/racing.  Did my first ever MTB races at Plymouth back in the early 90’s, so it’s going to be great being back there

PrinceJohn

We were going to do 12hr mixed pairs but my partners done her back & is currently spending all of her time lying down, so no chance of riding.

If anyone wants a mixed pair entry – hit me up

scottrider
    Free Member

“Also anyone know if they have running water on site? Have a Jerry can but would be nice to know I can refill it if needs be”

Yep, there’s running water. I’m down at venue ATM. Arena/Camping is on top of the hill this year.

rOcKeTdOg

Roy, Judy & I will not be there handing out the beers at midnight 😕

Kryton57

I’m down at venue ATM. Arena/Camping is on top of the hill this year.

Which hill? The one on the left we ride up at the start if the lap in 2019, or the one on the right coming down into the arena at the end o/f the lap?.

jay_tht
    Free Member

24hour solo for me not sure I got the miles in or any real long rides in this year with my wife having Covid and stay in hospital for 10 days and then me having it luckily not that bad at the start of the year. But be good to just get along to the event and pedal round the plus be on a 29er Full suss this.

Good luck all what ever you racing just keep those pedals turning and enjoy a cold beer or two at the end.

scottrider
    Free Member

“Which hill? The one on the left we ride up at the start if the lap in 2019, or the one on the right coming down into the arena at the end o/f the lap?.”

It’s the hill on left as you enter Newnham.

Saccades
    Free Member

Gutted, have to miss it this year as I wasn’t sure until a couple of weeks ago if I’d be able to get back into the country again.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m doing 12hr solo, off the back of absolutely no focused training at all, just riding my bike in the sun (firmly inside when it’s been shite) so just having a laugh this time round, my team mate is also doing 12hr solo in V50 (if his foot is better after a nice stack in the National last weekend) as his first ever crack at anything over marathon length, plus we have a team of young whipper snappers in the 12hr teams of 4 and a young lady in the U14 race as that’s all she was allowed to enter. Keep and eye out for us in Origin Race Team (grey jersey & shorts with orange lettering and highlights) and give us a heckle.

I’ll be carrying one 800ml bottle on the bike with others ready made up in the pits for our pit team to hand over along with nutrition. Tools wise I’ll have the usual, a multi-tool, quicklink, patches, C02, anchovies and a spare tube, there’s no way I’d go out without these as it’s a 15km lap and that’s a bloody long walk if you plan on carrying on after a mechanical as you can’t leave the course, short cut back to the pits, fix your bike and then re-join.

The course / ground was very dry at the Nationals this weekend, there’s been a smidge of rain since, and maybe a bit forecast between now and the weekend and a 40% chance of a bit of rain just after the start, so it should be fast and not wet.

Kryton57

so it should be fast and not wet.

I shall leave the Mezcal on the rear 🙂 I’m taking a mud tyred wheel just in case despite the fact I’d have to change the cassette over mid race. Hopefully I won’t need it.

My biggest worry is not the race but my paranoia that 12.5yo Kryton Jnr is my support and if I don’t see him as I go past my table I’ll get worried as to his whereabouts. Can’t convince Mrs K to go. He’s been before, I know its safe yet still…

I was slightly disappointed not to see a course map in the event briefing email today.

richardk
    Free Member

From their comments on Facebook, isn’t the course going to be roughly similar to the Nationals?

Kryton57

I wasn’t at the Nationals…

steve_b77
    Free Member

From their comments on Facebook, isn’t the course going to be roughly similar to the Nationals?

It’ll include a good chunk of the Nationals course, but it’s considerably longer and hillier as the Nationals lap was 5.9km with about 150m of elevation gain and the 24:12 one is apparently 15km long and about 250m of gain per lap.

richardk
    Free Member

Cheers Steve, I’d seen a figure of around an hour per lap on a discussion a while ago, but haven’t seen anything definite from the organisers

@kryton57
    – get a sign made up for junior with your race number, then “Tell my dad I’m OK” written on it.  If anyone sees him, then you, they can tell its all OK

Saccades
    Free Member

No real need for a map I think.

Easy practice lap or two the day before, there hasn’t ever been anything not rollable* in the course for the last 5 years. You won’t be flat out so it’s just knowing where the half way point is for a drink/snack.

I carry tube, link and tools (Inc co2). Don’t carry liquid at night, just horse it in during a 60 second stop to stretch each lap.

* – except the sinkhole that developed on river run during the monsoon event 4(?) Years ago and took me out on my first torchbearer lap but that doesn’t count.

Looking fondly at the Facebook memories as they pop up each day.

mjsmke

Anyone know what the course is like this year? I can’t decide if I want to ride it (solo) on a rigid 29er or trail bike. Quite a big weight difference.

Also tyre choice; currently have rekon race / ikon on the rigid which is fine if its a little wet. Forekasters on the trail bike which are a good all rounder.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m not racing this year – I convinced Mr Toast to give it a go (not that he needed much convincing – I usually do 24/12, he does Mountain Mayhem). So, I’m on support duties with our 5 year old. Got to dig out a cowbell!

I’m hoping the course is as great as it was in the years I did it (’17 and ’19). Terrible weather, but still rode really well, unlike some others.

*has traumatic flashbacks to Mountain Mayhem 2012*

richardk
    Free Member

Looks like there will be plenty of running water on site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58010633

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m rather disappointed/ disgruntled about the course that’s circulating on the socials, 4.45 miles / 7.2km and 436ft / 133m of climbing per lap WTF?

Given the persistent rumours of a 15k lap with about 250m of climbing its a bit of a let down to say the least.

jam-bo

10miles north of newnham and it’s a bit wet.

saw on fB they were advising people not to try and setup camp tonight…

Kryton57

Good idea. We abandoned the tent at 1am after it got very wild and junior got nervous. I’m still trying to straigten myself up after a night and about 1hrs sleep around a steering wheel (bikes in the back)

Good news, the tent stayed up fine.

stumpy01

Fingers crossed for a dry weekend for you lot!

Crap weather was the main reason we gave up on the 24:12 after a 10 year straight run.
    I think there were only 3 dry events in that time, several ‘fairly wet’ ones & a few ‘Good God this is horrendous’ weekends too.
    The kicker was that the sun would generally come out while packing up the tent with a forecast showing a week of unfettered sunshine.

I’m in Bristol this weekend, so hoping for a dry South West!!

rexated
    Free Member

Forecast not looking too bad now.

I’m in a team of ‘four’, with two extremely fast lads…I’m riding with bruised ribs from a recent crash – so it will be slow and painful! – and the fourth bloke dropped out yesterday. It’s going to be a long night!

mjsmke

That was an interesting drive into the field at noon today. Dried up now.

MrsToast
    Free Member

There’s a bunch of rider photos I took of slightly ropey quality here (on my phone, holding onto our dog):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZDcwBVbDvwE6B7b7

I was waiting for my husband and friends to come down, annoyingly the exact moment our two friends came down, an off-lead dog approached our dog and he started going bonkers, so the photo of them is really blurry. Its like an unwritten Alanis Morissette verse. -_-

Kryton57

What a weekend. 90 mins sleep on Thursday behind the steering wheel as Junior got nervous of the drastically bending tent poles during Storm Evert to a 9th place 12 Solo champs for me. I’m super pleased with a top 10. And, I’m aching like very aching thing.

Well done to Steve B77, Yak, Richie P that I bumped into from this parish.

Yak

Great ride Kryton57! Kryton Jnr did well too – awesome stuff. (PM me for his podium pic).
    Yeah – a very noisy/wet first night, then the weather was pretty kind. I was just really happy to be part of a big event again after all this time. The people, the atmosphere, the kids racing, the beers n’chat – yeah loved it. And some bike racing too! 14th in 12hr male pairs…but I was well undercooked so happy enough with that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Exposure 24/12 – the sanitised edition!’ is closed to new replies.