Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Expert on Tektro disc brakes needed
  • bukobuko
    Free Member

I have some Tektro Auriga comps in like new condition and I’ve just bled them perfectly with fresh fluid the pads are used but have plenty of pad left on them (the same measurement of pad life as my Alivio M445 brakes working tip top on my other bike) but the problem is the pads are 2mm if not more away from the rotors on both sides, a huge distance and the lever travel nearly right to the bars.

So my question is are the piston supposed to adjust them selves to the rotor or do they need pulling out more? I cant see new pads making a huge difference.

tjagain

pistons should self adjust.  Yours are stuck in the seals hence retracting too far.  take the caliper off the bike pump the lever to move the pads out and push them back in – do this a few times till they move freely in the seals

bukobuko
    Free Member

Thanks TJ I will give this a try in the morning.

tjagain

be careful you don’t pump the pistons out too far – a couple of mm should do.  If one sticks more than the other hold the moving one in

pembo6
    Free Member

When doing what TJ says, try lubricating them with a bit of brake fluid. But make sure you clean it all off before reinserting the brake pads.

tjagain

tektro are mineral oil IIRC so don’t use brake fluid!  I am not certain the right lube to use.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply’s I’ve done exactly what you have advised and it’s worked. I’m getting new pads which will improve them further.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Expert on Tektro disc brakes needed’ is closed to new replies.