• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Executive wireless keyboard and mouse thing
  • IHN

Any recommendations for a small, lightweight, but nicely functioning wireless keyboard and mouse, for today’s high-flying IT consultant on the go?

Ideally, something like a standalone ThinkPad keyboard, cos they’re definitely the best from a useability perspective (IMO).

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You’re not a very good IT Consultant then?  🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

So a wireless keyboard with a trackpad, or do you want a track pad in the middle like a LT?

Anyway, Logitech and Microsoft both sell good wireless keyboards with track pads.

fadda

Only very slightly helpful, but don’t get a Dell one – my experience is that one component or the other will stop working very quickly, and you then can’t replace it without replacing the whole kit…

IHN

So a wireless keyboard with a trackpad, or do you want a track pad in the middle like a LT?

Nope, a wireless keyboard and a mouse. I use a trackpad on the laptop when I’m using it standalone, but if I’m (metaphorically) plugging in a keyboard, I’ll use a separate mouse.

You’re not a very good IT Consultant then?

Ssssshhh, they’ll hear you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get the one with the smallest usb transceiver possible.

I have a perfectly good Logitech keyboard and mouse set but it’s only a matter of time before i pick the laptop up at one side and snap the 35 mm long dongle on the other side.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The word ‘executive’ has to be one of the most tortured in the English language.

Executive dry cleaners

Executive coaches

Executive keyboard

Etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Executive relief?

arcing
    Free Member

I’ve just bought, and can recommend, Jelly Comb. Nice slim but sturdy design, rechargable keyboard, mouse and keyboard run off a single dongle.

http://amzn.eu/d/8r6SMN9

IHN

I assume Drac’s off today, and Flashy is First Reserve Funsponge

IHN

I’ve just bought, and can recommend, Jelly Comb. Nice slim but sturdy design, rechargable keyboard, mouse and keyboard run off a single dongle.

Looks good, but I don’t want a numberpad. I’ll have a look and see what else they do.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I assume Drac’s off today, and Flashy is First Reserve Funsponge

Nah, he’s just bitter because he’s been denied access to the executive lounge

molgrips
    Free Member

Microsoft Designer Desktop.  Bluetooth so no dongle; works perfectly and batteries last forever unlike older Bluetooth efforts (thanks to Bluetooth 4.0); chiclet keys; small and light despite having full complement of buttons and numeric keypad.  I paid £50 which looks a bargain next to Apple stuff.

Not an actual portable device though but you could carry it with you as it’s pretty small for a full sized desktop keyboard.

Cougar

What’s it for?  A laptop or a tablet?

IHN

It’s for a laptop (which will be on a riser)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Microsoft stuff is lovely, the little folding mouse thing is very ‘executive’.

somouk
    Free Member

Microsoft stuff is lovely, the little folding mouse thing is very ‘executive’.

I’d agree with that, they do some nice kit and the mouse is very flash.

Cougar

It’s for a laptop (which will be on a riser)

Right.  So look for something with a ‘nano’ USB dongle.  You can then leave in permanently plugged in to your laptop and you’re not likely to leave it on site somewhere.  The dedicated dongles are far superior to Bluetooth offerings (or at least, they were last time I looked into it in anger, this may be out of date advice).

Logitech and Microsoft both do good hardware, as others have said.

simon_g

Lenovo do both wired and wireless (Bluetooth) versions of the Thinkpad keyboard. I used one when I was swapping all the time between thinkpad internal keyboard and desktop dock and my brain couldn’t adjust to the ctrl/fn placement, was easiest to keep them consistent.

Harry_the_Spider

double post

Harry_the_Spider

Funsponge? Is that prison slang?

The dongle on my Microsoft one only sticks out be about 5mm, so is unsnapoffable.

arcing
    Free Member

Looks good, but I don’t want a numberpad. I’ll have a look and see what else they do.

The Youtube reviews I watched suggests there is a version of the Jelly Comb without the number pad.

scruff9252

I used to have a logitech wireless one with trackpad. Worked very nicely but didn’t respond particularly favourably to it’s date with the contents of a mug of coffee.

IHN

Lenovo do both wired and wireless (Bluetooth) versions of the Thinkpad keyboard

Not any more, at least, not on their site

MadBillMcMad

Was looking the other day at the advent keyboard only £17 in pcworld.

Actually felt very nice.

Worth a punt possibly.

davidr

I’ve got a compartively cheap Logitec (looks at bottom) K270 and it’s fine. If it was my own money then I’d probably buy a nicer one but the dongle is pretty slimline.

funkmasterp

The word ‘executive’ has to be one of the most tortured in the English language.

Executive dry cleaners

Executive coaches

Executive keyboard

………..

TiRed

I use the Logitech bluetooth M535 blue mouse and matching K380 keyboard in a small neoprene pouch. Easy to carry and work well with my laptop that sits on a Roost stand. No dongle required so more bike light charging points. The roost integrated case is a bit large so I have a smaller pack for the keyboard and mouse

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Executive wireless keyboard and mouse thing’ is closed to new replies.