• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ex Enduro – anyone done it before?
  • packer
    Free Member

I’m struggling to find much in terms of feedback from previous years events online… anyone here do it, and if so what did you think?

Sounds great on paper, but then the highlights video didn’t impress much… would take a punt on it but it’s quite pricey!

dogbone

I did it 2 years ago.

Very well organised. Great food. Fridge full of free beer in evening. Showers & camping all good. Everyone was super friendly.

You need to be quite fit as they are long days in the saddle. I haven’t raced in decades and really enjoyed the format. My only aim was to beat my younger, fitter mate. And I did.

The only down for me was there seemed to be so many great trails around I would have rather had a long weekend there of just riding. You dump a lot of altitude on the race sections, which means long fire road climbs to top of next section. My favourite bits were where you traversed the hills, rather than ride straight down.

All in all. Recommended.

phil56

I’ve done it – It’s a great event. Very well run, small numbers, so has a real friendly feel and great riding. But as dogbone says, it’s not a trivial event and although the total ascent doesn’t look daunting the climbing comes in steep and really bites -especially after three days!

It might look pricey, but it’s actually very good value for what you get. The breakfasts and dinners are superb, and free beer as well!

boxxer7
    Free Member

I got a space last year a week before the event as someone couldn’t make it.

Really well run, organisation is second to none. Good food, plenty of booze and plenty of really good trails.

As others have said they are some really big days in the saddle and by day 3 you’ll really be feeling it so you might want to be sure your fitness is pretty good otherwise I can see it sucking the fun from the event.

They’ve added some night stages this year which should make things interesting!

packer
    Free Member

Great stuff – thanks for the feedback so far.

What are the stages like in terms of difficulty / technical-ness ? The highlights video did look a bit tame…

dropoff

You’d have a better weekend if you spent your money being guided by Exmoor Adventures. Still stay local, lots of excellent hosteleries for sustenance.

phil56

What are the stages like in terms of difficulty / technical-ness ? The highlights video did look a bit tame…

That’s hard to answer as one mans ‘tame’ is another mans ‘technical’. I’d say it’s not super technical, but it is steep in places and difficult enough considering you’re racing blind. At the front end of the field there are always some seriously quick riders, so it’s not about can you ride it, but how fast can you ride it.

Dropoff, that’s a silly comparison – Dan’s a great guy and his trips are fun, but a weekend of guided riding really isn’t close to the same as entering a three day, multi stage race – neither better or worse, just totally different.

If you do decide to enter (and you need to be really quick on the button – it sells out in two minutes, and always to the pre registered) get in touch over the summer and I’ll show you around – or follow NDMTB on Facebook – we are riding the area most Saturdays through the summer. Bring your climbing legs though!

kiksy
    Free Member

Did it last year, easily the best enduro I’ve done, by a mile. Big days out, some excellent stages with some good elevation/distance.

Organization was spot on, and as above, it’s pricey but good value in my opinion.

Roughly in line with other UK enduros I’ve done. Where do you normally ride?

The stages are a mix, there is some flat out fast stuff and steep techy and everything in between.

I’m aiming to do it again this year.

dropoff

Phil56 thanks so much for your educated and thoughtful reply. Obviously you misunderstood me. Probably what I meant to say was this. It would be best to spend a weekend riding some proper Exmoor trails rather than some fabricated badly for an event.

superfli
    Free Member

Oh mate, if your are free and can afford it, do it! I’ve done every one. Unfortunately I can’t do it this year due to Munich Oktoberfest 😀. It’s been pretty good to excellent weather on each year. The food and beer is top notch. You may get to ride with some big names that the sponsors pull in, may even get your drinks served by a multiple world champ! The trails and distance make this an epic event. About 7 stages a day, some old school bridleways (but rocky!), Some steep pine forest stuff, which are brilliant. Some great ideas to look after you too – the vintage tea stop and evening entertainment!
    Best event of the year for me. Love it.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Three times for me. Loved every year. The only reason for not signing up this year is because I might be leaving the UK. Little bit gutted that I’ll miss out. They are long days but there is no rush. Just work on your fitness if required. 100% recommend it

packer
    Free Member

Ok, I think you’ve sold it to me 🙂

In terms of trail “difficulty” the event people always seem to use as a measuring stick is Ard Rock, and I find that event to be pretty much spot on for me.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Never done the event but live in the area so recognise the trails in the videos. It’s an awesome place to ride, such a variety of riding.

Guess if depends what you’re after. If it’s the area you’re interested in then you might be better served getting a guide or tapping up a local. Could do a day on the Quantocks then too.

moonsaballoon

Well that’s me in. Been eyeing it up for a few years and turn 40 this year so why not.

Lived in Scotland for 21 years now but grew up in Somerset, I remember riding around Dunster in about 96 or 97 so will be nice to go back.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

If you are not interested in racing have a look at the ‘Exmoor Explorer’ run by’ Channel Events’ This is a challenge ride of 20 miles with an optional extra 15 miles. I have done this the last 3 years (different route each year). It’s well organised and well marked. They also run similar events on the Mendips and Quantocks.

manvstarmac

I’m in too and now need to make sure I’m fit enough to get through all three days! I’ve trained for endurance events before (last time 2008) but not multiple days. I’m excited and scared in equal measure

steviep
    Free Member

I got in too. looking forward to it. Nice to have something tangible to train for.

phil56

As mentioned earlier, if anyone is thinking about riding in the area give me a shout and I’ll do my best to show you some of the trails and some of the stages that are accessible year round.

Pauly

Hi phil56,

I’d be keen to take you up on your offer if you’re around mid April!
    Likewise, if you’re ever round the Surrey Hills I’d be happy to show you around (or anyone else).

Cheers

DrP

I’m in, as are 2 other local riding buddies..

Really looking forward to it again (did it 2 years ago, and came 3rd HT).
    Will be on the full sus this year..prob ride faster, but end up further down the pack!!

DrP

phil56

@Pauly
    No problem at all, get in touch nearer the time

Pauly

👍🏼

manvstarmac

So thoughts on how fit is fit enough?

Presumably it’s a case of base fitness while we are locked down and then longer back to back days as summer wears on.

I live in the hilly Tamar Valley so tend to think in time rather than distance. What sort of daily/weekly time in the saddle were people doing who’ve done this in the past?

phil56

The time will very much depend on the weather – when its fine you’re looking at around 4/5 hours on the Friday and Sunday and probably over 6 hours on the Saturday.

Each day is a big ride with plenty of climbing, but it’s doing three days consecutively that I found hard, so if you can that’s what I’d focus on later in the summer – consecutive days riding, going out again when your legs still feel heavy from the day before

Having said that, everyone gets round and it is fun, so don’t turn it into too much of a chore!

thelooseone

Not everyone gets round… I was the one who didn’t get round last year, on the 2nd day I had the wort crash i’ve ever had. Clipped a rock or tree stump or something on with a pedal on a flat, fast section. Over the bars in a flash, flying through the air. I hit the ground with my shoulder so hard I was airborne again and then hit the ground for the 2nd time. Bike went flying. When I came to rest I tried to get up by couldn’t breath for two attempted breaths which scared the crap out of me. When I could breath I could only take shallow breaths. Shit. I looked at my left shoulder which was hanging down. Broken collarbone. Double shit.

The race medic was absolutely amazing, he got me off the hill on his quad bike. I was on Entonox gas all the way to hospital. The X Ray showed my collarbone was smashed into 5 pieces and had almost punctured the skin. One of the pieces had put a 10 mm hole in my lung (so thats why I couldn’t breath initially) and I also broke 4 ribs.

Had the collarbone plated and screwed. The lung healed up really quick, the ribs took what felt like forever to heal. I couldn’t lie down, I had to sleep sat up for about 3 weeks. I lost 4.5 kg in weight from not being able to do basically do anything for 3 months. I threw myself into the physio prescribed by the hospital and also did Pilates which helped massively. I was back on an mtb the 1st weekend of Jan and have had no issues since. I’ve got some permanent numbness over the wound but have full range of shoulder movement and got the strength and fitness back.

I didn’t get in to this year’s event, maybe next year…

superfli
    Free Member

Rescued by this fella thelooseone?

thelooseone

Yep, an absolute legend!

manvstarmac

I got my golden ticket last year (postponed to this year), but a health problem means I can’t mountain bike, so I have to pull out.

The organisers are happy for me to sell my place to another rider so for £310 (£300 entry plus the £10 online entry fee I paid) it’s all yours. First come, first served. Comment or message me if you have any queries.

DrP

@manvstarmac

My mate will probably take it…

@pictonroad
    off here…

Don’t sell it just yet… let me link him to this thread!

DrP

pictonroad

Yeh, go on then, I’ll have it. 😎

DrP

Bums bums bums….
    Looks like I’m NOT going to be able to make this now…boo (well, I’ll have a fun weekend with my kiddies, which I was hoping I could have swapped, but alas..)

So my ticket’s up for grabs…

Simply asking for face value… £300 and it’s yours

DrP

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ex Enduro – anyone done it before?’ is closed to new replies.