Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 255 total)
  • Ex-Brewdog staff allege culture of fear at brewer
  • swavis

Their Twitter feed should be interesting after that… 😉

ratherbeintobago

@duckman Glad it’s not just me. I found Lost Lager to be totally insipid and disappointing.

zilog6128

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-60119541

This is the worst revelation so far!!

frankconway

Loch Lomond Brewery based in…
    Dumbarton but it’s Scottish.
    Their Exiting Piers cherry saison is definitely moreish but I don’t have any more.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Gah, just discovered that I really like their Hazy Jane after receiving one for crimbo. Then read (enough of) this thread. Any pointers elsewhere for similar? In fact I should rather support local brewers.

sillyoldman

Overtone have some delicious options. Based in Yoker, but they taste much better than that would suggest.

stretch…
    Free Member

Vocation do a similar brew to Hazy Jane – hop, skip and jump?

onehundredthidiot

Tempest do a couple of really nice hazy beers.

grantyboy
    Free Member

highly recommend another north east brewery, Fierce Beer

https://www.fiercebeer.com/

Their Cafe Racer is amazing

chakaping
    Free Member

Just read the sex pest story.

Can’t see a smoking gun in there, but it paints a (quite credible) picture of the bloke as a creepy MF.

Unlikely to be the final nail in his coffin IMO.

thenorthwind

Agree Fierce make some nice beer. 66 North are another Aberdeen brewery doing excellent work.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I really don’t rate Fierce Beer. Find it a bit underwhelming although I haven’t tried it all and their Private Universe DIPA looks good. That’s the problem with IPAs I find, I love the really strong beers. One can of 8.5% IPA and I have to go to have a lay down these days.

They are also quite expensive. Hence, I ordered some from here:
    https://lowcostbeer.com/
    Found it very hit and miss to be honest. Some of the beers were ok, a couple good but some had no flavour at all. They didn’t taste bad as such – I find some really bad IPAs manage to taste bad despite tasting of nothing – but they just didn’t taste of anything.

But anything is better than giving my money to James Watt. I used to like Punk IPA when it first came out but I bought some a year ago or so and found it insipid. Really hoping he gets what he almost certainly deserves but somehow I doubt it.

Futureboy77

66 North are another Aberdeen brewery doing excellent work.

6 Degrees North. Brewed five minutes from my house, which isn’t in Aberdeen 😉

thenorthwind

Oh yeah 6. And they’re in Dundee aren’t they 🤦‍♂️ More coffee needed.

Well Black Isle brewery if you want more north east then 😉

swavis

Spey Valley is more North east than the Black Isle 😉

scotroutes

Lerwick Brewery surely wins that particular competition?

chiefgrooveguru

“Gah, just discovered that I really like their Hazy Jane after receiving one for crimbo. Then read (enough of) this thread. Any pointers elsewhere for similar? In fact I should rather support local brewersx”

Thornbridge Green Mountain is similar (but better I think). I too am boycotting Brewdog – there is both better beer and beer from better people to be found elsewhere!

Futureboy77

And they’re in Dundee aren’t they 🤦‍♂️ More coffee needed.

Pretty much mid way between Dundee and Aberdeen 😀

ransos
    Free Member

I like their beer but have stopped buying it. The choice of great beer we have today is in part due to them, but there are far too many negative stories emerging about their behaviour.

zilog6128

I like their beer but have stopped buying it. The choice of great beer we have today is in part due to them, but there are far too many negative stories emerging about their behaviour.

think I’m in this position to! Mainly down to JW who appears to be a weapons-grade bell-end. He really needs to step down or take a back seat for Brewdog to be able to move forward tbh. The revelation about him owning a lot of Heineken shares is the nail in the coffin!!

johnjn2000

@p7eaven Northern Monk have some nice Hazy options, as do Vibrant Forest. Both will deliver if you can’t find them in a shop

duncancallum

What’s the score with families being kicked off the estate?

Phil_H

gamekeepers, gardeners, farming and domestic staff, who were employed by the previous owner, have been laid off and the properties they lived in put up for sale.
    P & J link
    Times paywall link

nickc

I’m no fan of Brew Dog but that press and journal piece is a terrible bit of propaganda by the huntin’ and fishin’ lobby

Drac

That’s terrible fancy wanting to replant forests and stop grouse shooting.

Anyway, he does seem to some what of an odd character.

thepodge
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru
    Thornbridge Green Mountain is similar (but better I think). I too am boycotting Brewdog – there is both better beer and beer from better people to be found elsewhere!

Thornbridge aren’t exactly controversy free either.

duckman

grantyboy
    Free Member
    highly recommend another north east brewery, Fierce Beer

https://www.fiercebeer.com/

Their Cafe Racer is amazing

Dirty Sanchez….damn! not making it just now.

thenorthwind

Pretty much mid way between Dundee and Aberdeen 😀

I was thinking of 71 Brewing – 🤦‍♂️ again. It’s all these bloody numbers!
    On the plus side, I didn’t realise 6 North were there, and I’m going to be staying about 10 miles away in April so I might well pay them a visit if they have a taproom!

My go-to hazy NEIPA is Allendale Dirty Deeds – it’s fairly widely available in the supermarkets round here, but that might be because they’re fairly local.

MoreCashThanDash

I think we have to boycott Thornbridge as one of the directors or their partner is connected to some dodgy government training scheme that went bust or something.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Thnaks for the hazy ale suggestions all. I guess the key to success with such beers is getting them in you before they’ve sat too long in storage. I’ll keep my peepers peeled for those and also likely checking out a local beer emporium later on 🙂

tjagain

the housing will have been tied to the jobs so exempt from the scottish protections for tenants.  If i want to sell my rental flat I have to give 6 months notice.    a tied house does not get this protection.  Its pretty shoddy behaviour

I do not care what the jobs were even if a part of the reprehensible grouse farming.  Its hardly ethical from a company that likes to tell everyone what high ethical standards they support.

zilog6128

I do not care what the jobs were even if a part of the reprehensible grouse farming. Its hardly ethical from a company that likes to tell everyone what high ethical standards they support.

can’t say I’d get too worked up about it personally, odd though that they weren’t offered jobs as rangers or to be involved in the forest in some way… although nothing saying that they weren’t… there’s a lot of “if this is true” and “there are claims of” in all the reports I’ve seen, not much in the way of hard facts.

scotroutes

That’s terrible fancy wanting to replant forests and stop grouse shooting.

If you are interested in what Brewdog consider “re-wilding” then I can point you to a couple of critiques and suggest you look at the government subsidies available for tree-planting.

As per TJ, I have little sympathy for the grouse-shooting set but deer control should continue to be necessary, as should many of the other roles – and perhaps retraining might have been better than eviction?

sv
    nickc

and perhaps retraining might have been better than eviction?

May well have been, we’ve no idea if they were offered a different role, and turned it down or were just shown the door. The P&J article is lacking in any details whatsoever, and is just a polemic railing against “incomers” and (of all things) comparing this to highland clearance, which, given that it’s written by a member of the grouse moor shooting association, takes some balls.

tjagain

To me its the fact ll other tenacies in Scotland require 6 months notice if you want to sell the property vacant but they must have use the tied homes loophole to evict that stinks

That an of course the shite beer

grum
    Free Member

This is pretty much a textbook non-apology

He went on to say: “Secondly, and more importantly, I hugely regret anyone feeling in any way uncomfortable around me, as the programme set out.”

“This is absolutely the last thing I want and something I will learn from immediately. I truly apologise to anyone who felt that way. This was never my intention.

“However, I would argue that people feeling uncomfortable around me based on false rumours and misinformation does not represent inappropriate behaviour on my behalf.”

‘I’m genuinely sorry but it’s all lies’

scotroutes

we’ve no idea if they were offered a different role, and turned it down or were just shown the door.

The estate is next to me and I’ve been told no option was available.

zilog6128

The estate is next to me and I’ve been told no option was available.

if there’s no need for them that’s fair enough – any fingers of blame should be pointed at whoever chose to sell the land/business, not who bought it.

The only point of concern is, was there any truth in the speculation they were summarily evicted via a loophole?

Spin
    Free Member

This is pretty much a textbook non-apology

‘I’m sorry for how you felt.’

rather than

‘I’m sorry for how I made you feel’ or even better, ‘I’m sorry for what I did.’

Did I miss it or was there nothing about the other founder Martin Dickie? Has he left or is he just a bit less of a Dickie?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 255 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.