Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Ever given yourself an electric shock?
  • cbike
    Free Member

Long runs of coax can hold a charge even when disconnected.
    let the work placements coil them up. heheheh!

CheesybeanZ

as a kid i used to put 9v batteries on my tongue , been caught by cattle fences and while cleaning my tropical fish didnt see the broken glass on the heater , **** me that hurt , my arm must have reached 50mph in a milli second 😳

harryflashman
    Free Member

I had about a week of constantly getting really nasty static shocks off everything a few months ago – first one was off a DVD player, and then every person or thing I touched for a few days seemed to give me a shock. Is there a boffin type who could explain this? I've got my fingers crossed for some super powers related answer…

wwaswas

harryflashman – ditch the nylon undergarments.

harryflashman
    Free Member

ditch the nylon undergarments.

😆 I don' think I own any. But if this is the beginnings of newly found superpower, I think nylon undergarments might be compulsory.

I stick my finger in a light socket when I was a kid because I had been warned to be careful with electricity and I wanted to see how much it really hurt. A lot.

odannyboy
    Free Member

"I felt quite euphoric afterwards"

well it certainly wakes you up, but a coffee would be my first choice. 🙄

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

get loads at work, mainly tingly ones through soft skin but the odd nice big jump

i tend to stay clear of open 415V 125A supplies though, let the professionals play with proper lectrickery, too scary for me.

Splash Landings hotel at Alton Towers has the UK's second largest portable dance floor, it's plastic and therefore also the UK's second largest static electricity generator. Rigging there is a somewhat painful experience. You can build up enough charge to make a visible arc to a metal earthed device from a good millimetre away…from your finger.

On the domestic side i got a shock off the dishwasher the other day whilst trying to unblock the pressure sensor, luckily it was to my finger not my lips (you blow into a pipe to unblock it)

Macavity
    Free Member

Shaking hands with the national grid as some people call it.

stu1972
    Free Member

Best one yet was a big DC shock, couldn't let go but felt "wired" after it !

A colleage of mine got blasted out of a 3KvA switchgear panel though, best leave it at that.

brakes
    Free Member

in VW Beetles, the battery is under the back seat, it sits very close to the steel frame that supports it – you know what's coming…
    after fiddling with the electrics, I was reconnecting the battery and got a bit overzealous tightening the leads and bridged the gap between the battery and the frame with a spanner. BANG! – I ended up on the front seat and the spanner ended up stuck in the dashboard.
    to top it all I went to retrieve the spanner and burnt my hand on it 😐

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Same industry as MMW. Same kind of history.

Had a few doing install work when some c*nt has turned on an isolated and clearly labelled circuit back on while I've been working on it. Funny old world, they got more of a shock from my size 10 steel toe boot up their arse than I did from the belt of the mains.

I have done (note past tense) the odd live 415V tail in. That was in younger and more stupid days. Asked my girlfriend to stand there with a wooden plank to hit me with if I went live…

One gig I did – we were patching a knackered old dimmer rack in a greenfield stage – the only power on site was through the rack, and the only way we could find which lamp was which was by plugging it in via the knackered old patch leads. Between me and my mate we got about 50 shocks in the space of half an hour. Fortunately they were 110V lamps, so merely tingled, rather than chucked you across the room.

I am now older and wiser and wish to be "Alive" rather than just "live"….

stylish
    Free Member

22 years in the supply industry teaches you to respect electricity for sure, only ever had 1 shock in all that time, all down to a pin prick hole in a rubber glove, put me on my back though, Spent several years working "Hot Glove" (11kv hands on) in an insulated Cherry Picker, very strange thing to get your head round at first, but after time you really do get a sense of how much power is in the network, seen some massive arc"s when breaking connections, will work live on a network any day of the week, but wont touch domestic stuff………..

skidartist
    Free Member

Riding near Portpatrick on a beautiful sunny evening. The low sun was sparkling off the sea and it was so beautiful that people were just stopping to look. Overlooking a bay a small crowd had gathered i in silence to drink in the view. We freewheeled up to join them, a bunch of strangers all enjoying a silent appreciation of the world around them. Dismounting from the bikes, leaning them up against what proved to be an electric fence I ruined the moment a little by involuntarily yelling 'F********cking Hell!"loud enough for it to echo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, I've had a few.

While doing my apprenticeship in control & electrical engineering, we were sorting out a faulty kiln top hat timer, the old control gear had a baker-lite insulation cover on the 24 pin connector, two of the 24 pins were +ve 230v AC, sparky mentoring me said be careful of these pins, they sometimes stick out from "ahhh $hite that hurt" the insulation. So after I stopped laughing I had a go and did exactly the same thing 😳

Had a few lower voltage ones as well, and two at home when fitting new lights as it turned out the black wire was the live – shame the other black was the neggy and the red the **** earth!!

Worst one I've seen is a 20yrs plus experience industrial spark get a 415vAC belt off a back feed along a negative in a transformer feed, he spent 2 weeks in hospital after that!!

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Ever given yourself an electric shock?’ is closed to new replies.