Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Ever given yourself an electric shock?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

I have managed to do this a few times in the past. Sometimes intentionally and sometimes accidentally.

My first experience was with one of those electric fences you get to keep animals in. I was told by my friends that if I grabbed it really quickly then I would not feel anything. They lied to me and I ended up getting knocked on the floor, lol!

Next I moved onto mains electricity and twice ran over the mains cable whilst cutting the grass, d'oh!

The third time was again with mains electricity and the washing machine. It was not working, so I stuck my hand in, without turning it off at the mains, and I must have touched something live. It was not a pleasant feeling as my tongue stuck to the top of my mouth and my body started buzzing.

Oh well, you live and learn don't you?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Only on a pig fence and that was not fun!

wwaswas

"you live and learn don't you?"

clearly not, in your case…

coffeeking
    Free Member

[pedant]you can't live and learn from electrocution, only electric shock[/pedant]

And yes, several times, but mostly not mains. Car ignition systems are my main area of expertise lol.

miketually
    Free Member

A couple of times on animal fences.

Once on the flash capaciter in a camera I'd dismantled. That knocked my arm backward and made my thumb tingle for a few hours.

GW
    Free Member

pissing on electric fences will render them useless, you should try it? 😉

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you had truly electrocuted youself you are doing a fine job of posting as you would be dead.

e·lec·tro·cute (-lktr-kyt)
    tr.v. e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing, e·lec·tro·cutes
    1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
    2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity.

Olly
    Free Member

yup, sheep fences and cow fences on purpouse as a kid,
    240V mains twice, accidently. "saved by the breaker" on both.

maxray
    Free Member

I once tried to change a lightbulb in the dark and felt with my hands for the two prongs inside the light fitting to marry the bulb to.

Won't be doing that again!

:S

brakes
    Free Member

mains electricity, up a ladder, leaning over a large glass panel
    thankfully I didn't fall off and die
    someone was smiling on me that day

LHS
    Free Member

I once saw an exposed light switch cable when i was in some toilets in Moscow, just hanging out the wall, turned to a friend to pretend to get an electric shock and grabbed them – yes, you guessed it, they were actually live and I my friend quite rightly thought i had gone insane.

Hohum
    Free Member

Thanks for picking me up on electrocution, lol!

I have changed the title of the thread accordingly.

david_r
    Free Member

Yep. Mostly mains. Our house was (well, still is) old. Spent the first year gutting it all out and rewiring and plumbing it.

You get complacent after while. I was fitting new wall sockets etc leaving the ring main live. Every now and again though I'd forget and….WHACK!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not majorly so, but once I decided to take apart a tiny 4.5" CRT telly whilst it was working to see what the stuff inside it did. I thought I'd be safe because it was only running off 12V. I did not know much about how tellies worked! (there's a high voltage transformer inside for the CRT) – gave my hand a hell of a belt but nothing bad.

Then another time on a different telly, got a similar shock whilst taking the aerial lead out of the back. Weird this – it never did it again despite me trying to reproduce it.

My dad electrocuted himself many times over his years teaching sparkies in the tech college. It usually got a big cheer from the students 🙂

My mum gets the prize though – as a student she was replacing the fuse on a table lamp, and she thought she'd try it out before putting it back together, just in case. Well the socket was on, and she pushed the plug in with the palm of her hand. Blew her across the room, apparently. Or more likely the current forced her to shove herself across the room.

gingerflash

Yes, was fitting new ceiling light in the porch/hallway. Turned off downstairs lighting circuit. put screwdriver to metal. Got punched in the chest by a 200lb fist and found myself sitting on the floor with no idea how I got there.

Then turned off all the downstairs circuit and all the upstairs circuit. Same thing happened again.

Obviously, the hall light was on the boiler circuit.

My whole body trembbled/buzzed for the rest of the afternoon. Not nice at all.

Jamie
    Free Member

I get a little zap most times i get out the car. Bit annoying.

odannyboy
    Free Member

when youve done it once on the main, it should be a pretty good deterent not to do it again! was for me!

unwiring light fitings in a big warehouse.all were switched off i was told…unfortuatly two were switched else where and the bulbs were also blown.
    buzzzz! moral of the story…switch the leccy of yourself!
    as a teenager on a two stroke bike that wouldnt start. my brother said, stick a screwdriver in the ht cap and look for a spark.i did exactly as he said….and held the shaft of the screwdriver while i kicked it over! christ that makes you jump.great days.

sobriety
    Free Member

Yes, was fitting new ceiling light in the porch/hallway. Turned off downstairs lighting circuit. put screwdriver to metal. Got punched in the chest by a 200lb fist and found myself sitting on the floor with no idea how I got there.

Then turned off all the downstairs circuit and all the upstairs circuit. Same thing happened again.

You should probably invest in one of these

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh loads of times. I used to work as a mainenance engineer in a hotel and we sued to change the faceplates on broekn sockets live, got quite a few buzzes from doing that. We also used to do some plumbing work 'live' because we couldn't find the valves – changing washers on teps, etc. Fortunately we didn't do the faceplate/plumbing live work in the same location at the same time. As you can guess this was before the days of H&S.

Sonor
    Free Member

Got a belt off an electric fence keeping the cows in at the bottom of Le Plenney in Morzine. I bent over to take my leg armour off and my arse touched the fence. Quickest I'd moved all day.

Also had a couple of mains belts after my esteemed and more experienced colleague had managed to turn back on the circuit I was going to working on.

As you can imagine I make damn sure it's off and locked these days.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep, electric fence man tests as kids all the time.

Servicing office water coolers, wet hands a mains supplies is not something I'd be trying to do twice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Then another time on a different telly, got a similar shock whilst taking the aerial lead out of the back. Weird this – it never did it again despite me trying to reproduce it.

:lukeb:

glenh
    Free Member

Obviously, the hall light was on the boiler circuit.

This is why I always turn of the main house supply when ever I touch anything electrically related in the house. You can never be 100% sure how things are wired up (especially in a house as old as mine!).

firestarter
    Free Member

yup. my economy 7 switch unit failed so i had a look and it just looked like it needed flick back into position. so i removed the cover to get at it and touched it . i was then hit with the force hammer in the shoulder and thrown back into the wall ;-( when i got off the floor i called out the electrician.

turns out the bit i touched was where it comes into the house from outside and was very powerful lol i also blew something in the local substation by doing it and quite a few in my area had no electric for a few hours the electric board came out to chat to me ;-( dumbass lol

the electrican said i was lucky i still had my fire service safety shoes on ;-)tho i was still a dickhead

IanMunro
    Free Member

I used to like licking 9volt batteries.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

A few years back I used to help a mate who used to do loft conversions and while we were clearing the loft out to put the new joists in there was an old bit of cable laying there grabbed it and yep it was live, the jolt made me step back and I missed the joist and my leg went through the kitchen celing.

As a kid I had various encounters with electric fences as we lived on a farm the worst being a shock to the face trying to get a sparrow out of a water trough. I don't think I've been right since..

mafiafish
    Free Member

I used to like licking 9volt batteries.

Guilty.

In addition, does how wet the ground is effect the shock you get off an electric fence? I remeber one in Ireland on a rainy day being particularly vicious.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Aside from the obvious danger (and it's not something I'd risk for kicks) am I the only one that found getting a full-bore whack of the mains not unpleasant?

Not sure whether it was just general glad-to-be-alive-ness, but I felt quite euphoric afterwards…

Olly
    Free Member

My mum gets the prize though – as a student she was replacing the fuse on a table lamp, and she thought she'd try it out before putting it back together, just in case. Well the socket was on, and she pushed the plug in with the palm of her hand. Blew her across the room, apparently. Or more likely the current forced her to shove herself across the roo

proably before breakers, so on a fuse? toooo slowwww…

Guy who did my electrical training told us how he was getting grief pat testing items on a site, so used a ring main tester to see how the house was wired.

turned out the earth was live.
    which is scary enough, but consider, that the metal chassis on ALL items is earthed, so things like electric heaters, were insulated from the user by a thin skim of cheap paint.

and the earth isnt run through a breaker i dont think?

miketually
    Free Member

I used to like licking 9volt batteries

Yes, used to do that too.

Remember the days of using a cassette recorder to load computer games? If you took out the lead from the computer, put it on your tongue and pressed play, you got a nice tingly tongue.

molgrips
    Free Member

proably before breakers, so on a fuse? toooo slowwww…

A fuse wouldn't have blown anyway – only a few milliamps going through her body no? Otherwise she'd have died. Not clear whether or not the current went to earth.

nicko74

Yup, a couple of times I've pulled plugs out of sockets and reached too far round the pins and got a shock. Didn't feel too bad, but not pleasant.

Plus, irritatingly, something about the trainers I wear to work and the floor material mean that I'm forever getting static shocks as I walk round the office…

takisawa2

Trying to sort an old storage heater late one night. Was merrily fiddling with the stat. Clock ticks over to 1:00am when the Economy 7 came on. BANG. Woke up the couple downstairs. Like being smacked with a big stick.

Brother went through a phase of amatuer electrics during his teens. We had an old steel framed sofa. Underneath ran the lead to an old table lamp. Deciding to rig up an attic light, my Brother unplugs the lamp & removes the lamp from the cable, leaving it underneath the sofa. Mum came in, sits down & plugs in the lamp. Remember her shooting bolt upright. We used to call it the electric chair from then on.

On a sadder note, a lad we knew threw a branch from a foot bridge over the West Coast Main Line. It landed on the 25kv line below. Fearing a train crash (he was only 10), he decides to remove the branch & climbed over the bridge railings. I was about 100m away in the adjacent park, but my best friend was stood on the bank watching. First we knew was a huge bang, ground shook & a flash. Remember the smell, & seeing this twisted form on the tracks below, hair & clothes on fire. Poor kid.

stumpy01

I got a shock from an electric fence while looking for a shortcut through some fields doing a Scout challenge hike. I also had a penchant for licking 9v batteries & once licked a scalextric track & pulled the speed gun thing. That really stung & left two burnt lines on my tongue for a few days.

Never been shocked by mains though.

gusamc
    Free Member

yep, several times

as a small child I saw my parents poking the fire, interesting when we got mains electricity and electric fire ….
    also, slightly older, Xmas, Scalectrix, plug wired, too impatient, didn't screw plug top on…., pushed it in with my hand flat on top of it and did a double backward roll across the room, as all the lights went out …

I now always touch stuff with back of hand till I'm sure..

BoardinBob
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

As a kid, my dad brought home a hand dynamo for charging field radios. Family sat holding hands in a ring with it while he wound it up – just to see who'd let go first!

[looks skyward and smiles] Thanks dad!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I the only one that found getting a full-bore whack of the mains not unpleasant?

Yeh especcially when I had a hangover.

We had an old steel framed sofa. Underneath ran the lead to an old table lamp. Deciding to rig up an attic light, my Brother unplugs the lamp & removes the lamp from the cable, leaving it underneath the sofa. Mum came in, sits down & plugs in the lamp

I don't understand this, how could your mum plug in the lamp if it was 'my Brother unplugs the lamp & removes the lamp from the cable'?

I'm confused.

tron
    Free Member

Too many times. Once in the science lab at school – if you put 6V through your braces (the orthodontic kind), it hurts.

Once swapping a fan in a PSU, which for some reason I didn't think about disconnecting. Put my thumb tip across two contacts on the back of the IEC by accident.

Once from a toaster that was plugged in, but switched off at the wall.

The toaster and the braces were the worst – it seems to me that where you get a shock is as important as what the voltage is.

Waderider
    Free Member

I think I win – although I haven't read all the above posts.

As a youngster I worked as a landscape gardeners assistant, and we had a job to top a very tall hedge of trees at the bottom of a garden in Donaghadee in Northern Ireland. I held an aluminium ladder while my boss topped some slender growth at the tree top – it had obviously been pruned before. One of the branches managed to go over and touch an 11,000 volt overhead powerline.

My boss got blown of the ladder and ended up stuck in an adjacent tree (er, lucky) and I just got sore arms. NI electricity had to attend as we tripped the local sub station.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Ever given yourself an electric shock?’ is closed to new replies.