Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Even if I wanted to climb Everest…
  • zippykona

This would put me off.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just another Friday night conga line in Wetherspoons that got out of hand…

grahamt1980

Sadly it is the result of an increase in ‘extreme’ tourism and the reluctance of the local governments to squeeze off their cash cow.
    this was clear prior to 1996 when a whole load of people died (admittedly due to a storm), due to overcrowding leading to delays.
    this one just seems stupid as people died from having to wait around.
    just such a shame for their families as it is unnecessary.

lunge

Always had a desire, albeit a tiny one, to climb Everest, that pic has completely removed that desire.

scruff9252

It’s just depressing isn’t it. I wonder just how many kg’s of rubbish each person will leave on the mountain, to remain indefinitely?

gonefishin
    Free Member

It really is another disaster waiting to happen.

johnx2
    Free Member

Great photo though, and should have a positive effect.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

That’s worse than Crib Goch on a bank holiday!

johnners
    Free Member

They should just nip past on the left.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Worse than bloody Snowdon!

No thanks!

easily
    Free Member

It seems climbing Everest is becoming almost like a gap-year staple: Full Moon Party, Machu Picchu, shag half a dozen people you instantly wish you hadn’t, ‘work’ for a fortnight in a developing country, have your iPhone stolen (twice), climb everest ..

How many people climb nearby K2 every year?

martinhutch

Properly crazy. I wonder what happens when someone says they’re in a hurry and tries to push in?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’d definitely fit a Timberbell to ride that…

ayjaydoubleyou

It seems climbing Everest is becoming almost like a gap-year staple: Full Moon Party, Machu Picchu, shag half a dozen people you instantly wish you hadn’t, ‘work’ for a fortnight in a developing country, have your iPhone stolen (twice), climb everest ..

$50,000 to $100,000, and like 6 months of training. Sounds just like the typical gap year

Nico
    Free Member

Proper LOLZ, but you forgot to mention going to Australia for most of that time (because it’s not too foreign) and coming back with an accent.

CountZero

It’s worth reading Robert MacFarlaine’s ‘Mountains Of the Mind’, which goes into a lot of detail about the history of mountaineering, then looking at these photos to see how depressing the situation has become.
    I’ll bet the extreme clothing brands love the revenue from all those queuing up the mountain.
    Free Solo showed clearly what mountain/rock climbing should be about.
    And I’ve never, ever, had the remotest desire to climb any mountains, except those that are an easy walk to the top!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

K2, now there’s a proper mountain.

MrPottatoHead

Doesn’t just look shit though, it’s dangerous. That photo is off the back of 7people dying this week, at least some of those directly as a result of overcrowding and queueing.

pondo

People should just go out of season. 😛

I’d love to climb it, but that puts me straight off. I’d recommend Jon Krakauer’s Into Thin Air for a harrowing account of the ’96 Everest disaster.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I admire quite how righteous you lot are about other people’s hobbies.

Did you once drive upto the Buzzards Nest car park after 7pm and find it empty? Did that solitude give you some sort of Zen like experience in your Audi that you really wish these rich, successfully and motivated people can only dream of achieving?

Maaannnn I envy you guys!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I read Into Thin Air a few years back. Perhaps all tourists should read that as a compulsory text before ascending. There are some good books on K2 – a much tougher mountain. Most people who perish do so on the way down, largely due to exhaustion which leads to mistakes. Also the wether can close in quickly, but I don’t think that’s the issue with the latest deaths.

I propose a zip wire from the top for a quick descent. People can still say they’ve climbed it, but get down nice and quick. Or supply them with wingsuites.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

TINAS…

What’s zen like about freezing to death waiting in a queue in 28,000 ft?

TBH you sound like one with jealousy issues – I am in no way jealous of the people in that shot……looks like my idea of hell..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I read Into Thin Air a few years back. Perhaps all tourists should read that as a compulsory text before ascending.

I’m going to stick my neck out and say they probably all have. I mean even with more north face gear than a South London chav and a house deposit to spare it’s still not quite a spur of the moment thing is it? They probably also watched Dawn Wall before Free Solo made it cool.

dirkpitt74

That picture is scary – can’t imagine waiting in that line at that height watching how much O2 I had left….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s zen like about freezing to death waiting in a queue in 28,000 ft?

I’ll indulge myself with a bit of whataboutism.

Whats so Zen about dying moubtainbiking in the UK? It still happens.

I don’t disagree that queing to get to the summit of of Snowdon / Everest isn’t my idea of a good time. But I’m not going to pretend I don’t know why people do it.

IdleJon

I’m going to stick my neck out and say they probably all have.

I was thinking that. There can’t be many who think “I’ll climb Everest” but know nothing about it. (I must be an expert – I’ve read at least four books about Everest! 😀 )

Best mountaineering book I ever read was Annapurna by Maurice Herzog. It was in 1950 so it took two weeks to walk in to base camp and two weeks to walk back out. He spent most of the journey out strapped to a donkey and having his fingers slowly and painfully amputated bit by bit. Proper grim!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Well, if I died on my MTB it didn’t cost me £50-100k for the privilege.I most likely didn’t endanger others. I didn’t have to be carried up & down. I didn’t leave a sh1t load of rubbish in a fragile environment. I didn’t stand in a queue with 200 others doing exactly the same things. The list goes on but I hope you get my point.

I understand why but when you look at it….it’s a frightfully selfish & indulgent thing to do.

johnx2
    Free Member

People should just go out of season. 😛

Exactly, that’s bank hols for you. Just nip up in the evening after the crowds have gone home…

convert

I don’t dare to put it in the same category of risk/reward but a little like swimming the channel that I have done. In hindsight I wish I hadn’t done it. There are way nicer places to do a longer swim and swimming the channel you feeling like you are being processed and the next one in the long line of people which is what I think Everest must feel like now. It becomes a fake badge of honour done because the none climbing/swimming folk you meet can instantly acknowledged what you have done. I can’t see another rational reason to choose it over lesser know similarly athletic feat that still has an element of steely adventure to it. Anyone who thinks they can compare themselves to Hilary (or Captain Webb in the case of the channel) after ticking this box is disillusioned.

PrinceJohn

You’re forgetting the staple charity challenge – please pay for my holiday/adventure of a lifetime so that I can bore everyone about for the next 20 years…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I didn’t have to be carried up & down. I didn’t leave a sh1t load of rubbish in a fragile environment. I didn’t stand in a queue with 200 others doing exactly the same things. The list goes on but I hope you get my point.

Are we talking about Everest or BPW? I hope you get my point.

kcal

“elite climber on your right” 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

TINAS, the 2 aren’t even remotely comparable…..look at the cost, look at the risk to life…look at the scale of environmental damage done even getting to Base Camp….last time I remember there weren’t any dead bodies at BPW left behind because it was too dangerous to bring them down..

How many lives lost at BPW?
    How many on Everest?

Hmm?

🙄

martinhutch

The answer is simple. Just nip up the American Direct. No queues for that one.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TINAS, the 2 aren’t even remotely comparable…..look at the cost, look at the risk to life…look at the scale of environmental damage done even getting to Base Camp….last time I remember there weren’t any dead bodies at BPW left behind because it was too dangerous to bring them down..

Meanwhile on everestclimbingworld someone is bemoaning all those deluded muppets sat in the m4 roadworks polluting the Thames valley with their emissions, having paid thousands of pounds for a push bike and an Audi estate on finance. All to drive to a small hill in Wales to be driven up in a minibus with a load of other paying punters playing at being mountainbikers for the weekend. How can they possibly find a sense of achievement or fun in that? Maybe these tourists should watch that moubtainbiking film Seasons where Bearclaw backflips into a freezing lake wearing a wetsuit, then they might understand the real side of their sport.

martinhutch

Bearclaw backflips into a freezing lake

He’d never get away with that at the Golfie.

sockpuppet

You can push the “what must mountaineers think of xxx mtb attribute” if you like.

I really don’t think it’s got much merit in this case.

Queueing at that height has real risks of death, not because of the terrain or skill/lack of skill, etc. Just because of the waiting.

Not for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Even if I wanted to climb Everest…’ is closed to new replies.