Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Even if I wanted to climb Everest…
  • martinhutch

I guess the Nepalese will have to cut the number of permits since companies and individuals can’t make sensible decisions for themselves and their clients.

This is always the risk when you have a large number of people who’ve spent or been paid £££ to get to the top and it turns out you have only a narrow window of good weather.

athgray
    Free Member

I guess the Nepalese will have to cut the number of permits since companies and individuals can’t make sensible decisions for themselves and their clients.

It’s a bit presumptuous of us to dictate Nepal’s tourism policies.

Also sensible decisions can he very hard to make at that altitude.

kcr
    Free Member

There’s a blog about the latest conditions here:

Everest 2019: 3 New Deaths, Now 9 on Everest, 19 Overall

The writer claims that because of inexperience and queuing, some climbers are taking 20 hours for a summit push that should take around half that time.

martinhutch

It’s a bit presumptuous of us to dictate Nepal’s tourism policies.

Also sensible decisions can he very hard to make at that altitude.

A lot of these decisions are being made in base camp. I don’t think anyone can dictate to Nepal what their policy on permits is, they will simply have to balance multiple deaths due to overcrowding with their revenue.

slowoldman

If that pic is the queue to the summit how do the ones at the front get back down through that mob?

Yup, that is the issue. I think it’s time for a limit on the number of ascents on any one day, though how that would be policed, I’ve no idea. Of course, on the other hand it’s their choice to be there – apart from the Sherpas of course, it’s their jobs.

scratch
    Free Member

I was reading that blog earlier today via the Guardian report.

The one reply around handling the increasing numbers / potentially decreasing skill level ws pretty decent I thought, having people climb 2 6000m and 1 7000m peak before being given a permit to climb Everest, as stated it’d be a benefit to the local economy in many ways – there’s probably a few practical problems that it’d through up mind.

Northwind

onehundredthidiot

I’m at gt7 today if mountain biking was that dangerous there’d be over 20 deaths today.

If Euan hadn’t sanitised the bombhole there probably would have been.

funkmasterp

I’m laid up feeling ill and have spent the day watching various documentaries on the big and dangerous peaks. Fascinating stuff and you’d think after 1996 there would have been more restrictions. I know oxygen is now mandatory, but it seems more limits are needed to save people from themselves. Just about to watch Meru.

onehundredthidiot

1996 was the year that bloke rode from holland, I think, to Everest , climbed it without oxygen, then rode home.

Edit Sweden

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2016/06/historical-badass-goran-kropp-the-man-who-rode-to-everest/

thecolourblue
    Free Member

It would appear Everest is now pretty much a tourist attraction not just the most extreme physical challenge on earth. So with that in mind H & S it to the max. Install steps, a handrail, wheelchair friendly ramp, O2 dispensers at regular intervals, climbing assistant persons with full first aid qualifications etc.

slowoldman

Get DCC to smooth out the Hilary Step?

fossy

Naughty. I rode Rushup on Friday, and the bit DCC has done has actually made the descent worse (thank goodness it’s a small area). It’s fortunately starting to be eroded, but it’s very loose under wheel.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thought I’d have a look at the climbing background of number 10. The more I dug the more I was gob-smacked that he was up there.

I stopped at the Youtube video of him climbing Mont Blanc by the classic route with… a guide… just two years ago.

As someone suggested above, some kind of permit system that imposes progression would mean people arrived better prepared for Everest and bring more money into Nepal as people ticked the peaks needed to get a permit.

I haven’t embedded the video, Should I?

leffeboy

I haven’t embedded the video, Should I?

I can’t see why not.  There is something strange with Everest.  everyone knows that there are significant numbers of deaths and that there is no easy way out, once there you are committed and although you might be surrounded by a well stocked and trained team there might not be anything they can do :(.  I can’t imagine doing it without working my way up to it (edit: I’m not suggesting that any of those who died hadn’t done proper prep – I’m just wondering if putting requirements on this will save many lives as I can’t imagine not doing that work in advance)

Edukator
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks this is distasteful, report it. If mods think it distasteful take it down. Climbers on the forum will know that how people climb down gives you the best insight into how at ease they are on rock/ice, the sequences down from the Goûter near the end are revealing. Four years ago to correct previous post.

CountZero

Summary of the thread:

I don’t want to climb everest because…

You also missed out not wanting to climb Everest, or any other mountain that can’t easily be walked up because the idea is too terrifying! Also the lack of physical stamina. Honestly, the thought of walking Striding Edge makes me feel twitchy.

nickc

Didn’t a series of earthquakes do that anyway?

mashr

It would appear Everest is now pretty much a tourist attraction not just the most extreme physical challenge on earth

Don’t think it ever way the most extreme challenge when compared to the other big ones

Marin
    Free Member

Everest is a cash cow for a desperately poor country so they will probably never limit the numbers. I’ve got a mate who worked as a commercial guide and has summited. He said you can tell on first meeting the group who stands a chance of sumitting and who doesn’t. Another friend who re mortgaged his house to pay for his attempt and didn’t summit. If you all had a whip-round for me I’d give it a go but I’d want friends in my team not random strangers. Functioning at altitude is very hard and strangers are unlikely to be of any help. Those who suffer the best are the most successful.

mashr

How are you going to feel/cope if your friends start dying around you and there’s nothing you can do to help?

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t think it ever way the most extreme challenge when compared to the other big ones

I once interviewed the boss of Jagged Globe Expeditions in Sheffield, who guide on the mountain. The basic abilities he looks for are: an ability to acclimatise above 5,000m, climbing at Scottish Grade 2 winter level (which is not very hard at all) but preferably harder so you can move fast on moderately technical ground, the willingness to build up to Everest via some slightly smaller high altitude expeditions and – obviously – the financial resources to pay for a permit etc. At that time, that meant around £40,000 all in.

There are lots of beautiful mountains you can climb far more cheaply – try the Andes for starters – and there are lots and lots of far more technically challenging peaks out there. If you’re looking at harder 8000m + peaks, K2, Kangchenjunga, Nanga Parbat etc. But the attraction of Everest is pretty obviously that it’s the highest mountain on earth.

The purist mountaineering take is that relying on fixed ropes, guides, Sherpas carrying your kit, and supplementary oxygen with someone else making the decisions for you, isn’t really mountaineering, more extreme, high altitude tourism. Which isn’t to say that climbing Everest isn’t physiologically brutal or dangerous, just that taking part in a guided expedition on the mountain is qualitatively different from an un-guided trip with mates where you make your own decisions and basically are responsible for your own safety etc.

The counterpoint to that is that Kenton Cool, who knows a lot more about Everest than anyone on here, is emphatic that it’s an astonishing place to be and the downsides are overhyped. Having been to Everest Base Camp, I’d have to say that the place has an impressive scale to it, but the mountain I looked at and thought, ‘I’d really like to climb that’ was Ama Dablam, which is a stunning-looking mountain. Nowhere near as high and festooned with fixed ropes I think, but much more interesting from a climbing point of view.

I’m thinking the truth is somewhat subjective and in the middle of all that. And that pic of the queues is horrific on all sorts of levels. But who the hell are we to tell people what they can and cannot do? Personally I’m more concerned for the Sherpas who are generally there purely to earn money so their kids can have different, better lives. If mountaineers choose to take those risks, that’s their call, but for local guides and porters it’s rather different.

BadlyWiredDog

ps: I think what would really terrify me is having to move through the Khumbu ice fall: Massive, house-sized seracs that just topple over randomly on top of the route and the odd massive avalanche like the one that took out multiple Sherpas a few years. Proper random death zone stuff, but with no alternative route. No thanks.

dovebiker

I had a work colleague who attempted it a few years ago – the whole experience he found really difficult, mainly due to the selfishness of the other participants who struggle on the technical parts and refuse to let more competent climbers through. Queuing on the Hilary Step being the classic example – holding everyone up unnecessarily in the ‘death zone’. He got within a 100m of the summit, but encountered a climber in difficulty and abandoned his summit attempt in order to successfully save the climber – others were simply walking past.

Edukator
    Free Member

others were simply walking past.

It does seem to be a place with an abundance of facebook braggers and selfish assholes, and a very limited number of people with any empathy or humanity. Your mate achieved more than anyone who reached the summit that day, dovebiker.

fossy

The abandoning ‘others’ is really bad. I commend your colleague @dovebiker. I coundn’t leave people. Maybe that’s why some folk do this alone ? Doing it with people you know, you are bound to help them back down should something go wrong. There was an article on BBC News about someone lying dying, and people went past to get to the top !

Marin
    Free Member

How are you going to feel/cope if your friends start dying around you and there’s nothing you can do to help?

Hopefully that’s were friendship and experience kick in and you abandon summit attempts to help each other out rather than a group of strangers not helping each other.

Edukator
    Free Member

Has anyone ever tried to help someone in difficulty in the mountains? Having done so at low altitude and in perfect conditions with an only slightly injured victim (hands and head) I’m all the more impressed by dovebikers mate. It’s really hard work.

A guy I climbed with needed rescuing in the Himalaya and one of the guys rescuing him died in the process. I found him irritating to climb with – on one occasion he led through but placed no gear, so I made a few moves up from my belay to place a runner to cut the fall factor. He died in the ALps not long after.

So helping is a risk, and another reason for not wanting to be up there with a lot of people close to death as far as I’m concerned. Besides, I never felt the desire, the Alps and Pyrenees were quite big enough for me even at my best. And I got just as much satisfaction from doing a boulder problem as a mountain. Each to his/her own.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Climbers on the forum will know that how people climb down gives you the best insight into how at ease they are on rock/ice, the sequences down from the Goûter near the end are revealing.

I’ve climbed extensively in the Alps and that video at the end (assuming he’s the one with the camera) only shows that his female partner was struggling and, being on a short tight rope, he had no option but to constantly hang back for her, even in the middle of a move. So it shows me nothing of his abilities. He seemed to be aware of using natural belays, but might have been coincidence. What might speak volumes perhaps is that he hired a guide to take them up the easy tourist route on Monte Blanc, but I certainly wouldn’t judge him on that short vid of him descending. Did the female in that vid climb Everest as well?

athgray
    Free Member

I used to climb in the Alps and a small amount in South America to higher altitude. Always climbed with friends and always unguided. We either all made it to the summit or none of us did. I would struggle to put myself in the death zone and place trust in
    people when surrounded by nobody but strangers and those I met only a few weeks before. Not for me I am afraid.

crazy-legs

He got within a 100m of the summit, but encountered a climber in difficulty and abandoned his summit attempt in order to successfully save the climber – others were simply walking past.

There are lots of stories of that on Everest.
    Reading the books and accounts of it, it’s a mix of factors. You’re so caught up in your own world (most people are barely capable of functioning for themselves in those conditions, never mind helping others), there’s the question of kit – typically you’re carrying enough oxygen and kit for you, not you + any other randoms you may encounter in difficulty, the issues of trying to do first aid at that altitude and I suppose the pressure of “I’ve paid all this money to summit, I will summit” probably comes into it too. Plus it’s probably a complete stranger and behaviour might be different depending on if it was someone you knew vs someone you didn’t.

Do you leave one person to die or do you become a casualty too in trying to rescue the first person? The fact that the bodies have mostly been left up there is testament to how difficult it is getting them down and that’s a lifeless corpse – try doing that with a living person without causing further injury.

But then it’s easy to write either side of it from a keyboard because none of us has ever been in that situation – 8000+ metres up a mountain with near zero prospect of rescue, a storm coming in, running low on oxygen – makes it difficult to judge.
    It’s not like witnessing a fall at Glentress and calling in the ambulance by reference to the numbered trail marker at the side….

Joe Simpson references it a couple of times in his books – basically every mountaineer has friends, colleagues etc who have died on mountains and the general feel seems to be one of acceptance. You remember them for the good times and there’s no real blame or fault attached to anyone. Similar to him being left for dead.

mashr

Hopefully that’s were friendship and experience kick in and you abandon summit attempts to help each other out rather than a group of strangers not helping each other.

You’re assuming you’re not descending there. You might well be on the ragged edge yourself, it is the death zone after all

Edukator
    Free Member

18:48 on B.A. Nana. Tentative hand placements rather than hold to hold, feet in fresh air, using bum, constantly facing out when facing right or left or backing down would have given better foot and hand placements (I’ve done that descent as anchor man).

Edit: I’ve just shown the vid to Madame. No prompting her comments were “he should be backing down there”, “there weren’t any cables when we did it were there”

hofnar
    Free Member

Joe Simpson references it a couple of times in his books – basically every mountaineer has friends, colleagues etc who have died on mountains and the general feel seems to be one of acceptance. You remember them for the good times and there’s no real blame or fault attached to anyone. Similar to him being left for dead.

Its as simple as that. Its difficult to apprehend but they just accept it as faith and normal that some just don’t make it back. Cut your losses and save your ass. Its that hard up there that most of the time trying to help makes you risk more dead’s then that you would be saving(once you need saving you most likely are lost in any case) Thats what I read in the book of a seven summiter fellow adventure racer and what another seven summiter that was my room ride mate for a couple of days confirmed.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

18:48 onwards is what I watched Edukator, If you’ve actually done that section and remember how it goes then fair enough. With him having the camera on his head it’s difficult to tell how he’s coping ie on his arse or not, altho in my book facing out when you’re down climbing shows some confidence altho that doesn’t include sliding down on your arse. I just saw that he was having to wait for the girl to move, for him to move on the short rope which makes life awkward (and maybe does him an injustice) and then she nearly stood on his hand. I’m sure you’ve experienced the same, when your partner isn’t flowing then you’re not flowing. Anyhow, I’m no Reinhold Messner, but a guide wouldn’t so much as pass my mind for that route, so that sort of says enough to me I suppose.

Edukator
    Free Member

I just find it easier, faster and more secure to turn sideways or reverse what I’ve done on the way up once it’s steep enough to need hands. Coming back down something within 24 hours you remember the line you took and you find yourself using exactly the same holds as you used on the way up if you turn to face the rock. It’s very secure; your hands, arms and feet are made for gripping facing forward, your head is further out so you have better visibility of foot placements. It’s not a question of showing confidence, it’s a question of moving as safely and efficiently as possible.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m no Reinhold Messner…

I knew and worked for his Climbing partner (Peter Habeler) for a long time in Mayrhofen in the ‘90s.

They say you should never meet your childhood heroes, but I was not at all unhappy to meet and know Peter, absolute legend 👍

TiRed

Educator, are you familiar with the Royal Marines and Navy rescue on Everest? The right way to do things.

How I rescued an injured climber from the North Ridge of Everest

Edukator
    Free Member

I hadn’t seen that, Tired, ta, an impressive effort. The attitude of a Royal Marine is nothing like a facebook ticker.

TiRed

My favourite Everest story by far. “I know it’s your summit day, and will understand, but…” Someone in the team summitted, but that was almost inconsequential compared with what they all went on to do. Proper teamwork.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’d hope we’d all feel the same way as the Royals when it comes to choosing life over death. Surely it’s an easy and obvious choice?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Even if I wanted to climb Everest…’ is closed to new replies.