Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Evans in Nottingham – anyone had them service a bike?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Right after 2-3 years of my own amateur fettling, my poor bikes are at the stage that they would like someone who might know one end of a spanner from the other to fix them up properly again.

I know that a lot of people on here hate Evans with a passion, but I’ve had no problems buying from the Nottingham store, my commuter came from there properly set up, so as they are nearest the office I was wondering about using them to service the bikes.

Any actual experiences of this store out there?

Alternatively, Bunneys bikes are about the same distance, or I can go a bit further and use Freewheel who I’ve used in the past but aren’t cheap!

Bunneys bikes have done 2 hour jobs that evans have quoted a week before. Matt who owns it has been nothing but great to me so I’d say there

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

You could also learn to do it properly yourself!
    Bikehhood-Nottingham
    They can at least show you what you need to buy to put it right and show you how to do it.

Give a man a fish…and all that

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you can drive it recommend a trip Northwards to Sherwood Pines.

If you want I can come to you service and show you how to fix it whilst fixing it, ex mechanic blah blah

belm
    Free Member

Cycle Garage in West Bridgford are getting good reviews. They also pick up and drop off.

iain1775
    Free Member

Evans servicing costs are astronomical I thought it was a joke when I saw the on line price list

bluebouye
    Free Member

Forget all the above. Take it to Rock’n’Roll bikes at the bottom of Carlton Road – ask for Ryan. They are just establishing themselves and won a mystery shopper award recently, which gives you confidence! Believe me I’ve had my fair share of poor, indifferent and unknowledgable bike staff over the years. These guys will sort you out and won’t rip you off.

jasonm945
    Free Member

What is it that needs servicing/repairing that you couldn’t do yourself?

Bazz

I have nothing against Evans, in fact they are my lbs, and their fork/shock servicing is quite reasonable, however their bike servicing is a complete rip off, i’d try somewhere else or buy a book and some tools and learn to do it yourself, you’ll save a fortune and it really isn’t that hard (even i can do it! 😆 )

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

This saturday, Nottingham Hackspace, Tools+help available=win

tobysdad
    Free Member

There’s a freelance bike mechanic called Dennis (goes under the name Dr Bike) in Nottingham, nice bloke, reasonable prices. I’ll get the number if required

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for all the (conflicting!) responses and offers.

I like the look of the Hackspace thing, will keep an eye on that for future, and I’ll have a quick look round some of the other suggestions in the meantime.

The bikes are just getting old and creaky – all of them have 2-3,000 miles since they saw a bike shop, need a complete strip down and rebuild I suspect and I’ve just not got the time, tools or confidence to do it myself, so I’m happy to pay and let someone “proper” do it. And as I work in central Nottingham, makes sense to ride them in and get them done while I’m at work

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Same day turnaround..from a bike shop.. Whatever next.

Onzadog
    Free Member

From the sounds of it, what you’re looking for is the sort of dedicated TLC that an obsessive would lavish on their bike. You’ll be hard pushed to get that from a service. They’ll just check gears and brakes, replace pads and cables if needed and waggle you wheels to see if your cones are loose. Can’t remember the last time I “stripped a bike down”. They don’t need it. Just keep on top of stuff. The best way to get a feel for the early warning signs is to fix it yourself.

If you want to get better, get someone you trust to look over your bike and tell you what needs doing. Then, learn one job at a time. It doesn’t all have to be done at once. It’s better to do it as a rolling task than an annual hit.

sprocker
    Free Member

shockwave in ruddington will strip it and rebuild completely if needed, friendly and efficent service

jasonm945
    Free Member

shockwave in ruddington will strip it and rebuild completely if needed, friendly and efficent service

I beg to differ!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I beg to differ!

Depends how often Andy is in the shop.

It’s actually spelt sshockwave (to help you find it) and it’s Alex (the son of the owner). I work in ruddington and would for sure take my bike there. A bit far if works centre of notts

Onzadog
    Free Member

When did they add the “c”? It was always sShokwave when I knew it.

Dunno but it’s deffo called sshockwave. Bit like the t-shirt.

ADIS – don’t die of dyslexia

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry but the pedant in me can’t help himself.
    http://www.sshokwavebikes.co.uk/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Evans in Nottingham – anyone had them service a bike?’ is closed to new replies.