• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Watty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Eurostar – Multitool and screwdriver allowed?
  • bentandbroken

Anyone who uses it a lot care to comment?

I am in London and have just found out I need to go to Paris tomorrow so have booked the Eurostar. However, I have a multi-tool which includes a small blade and a screwdriver with me. I doubt I will need then in France, but I need them when I get back and its a long way home to drop them off.

Looking at the Eurostar website on this it has two bits that seem pertinent;

In prohibited items it says; Folding/lock pocket knives are also banned. Small folding pocket knives with blades under 75mm without a locking mechanism are the exception and are permitted

So I think I am OK on that one.

However, in the restricted section it lists; DIY tools such as screwdrivers, drills and hammers.

So I am now thinking that I cant take them. I don’t want to lose either as they have been with me a long time and I would like to keep it that way. There is an email address to contact which I am going to use, but I would appreciate any real world experience if you have it.

Thanks

bentandbroken

Email sent and an auto response received saying they should respond within two days …. I leave in about 12 hours….

seadog101

I’d say don’t risk it. Not A Eurostar traveller, but obviously they are close to flying when it comes to security.

The staff will have their own interests at heart, if they let you through and it’s subsequently found they will be in bother.

I had toe nail clippers removed at an airport recently, it was a cutting tool over a certain length… FFS. I said I’d been through the exact same security many times with the same item and was told that other staff could have found themselves in bother for that.

maccruiskeen

If you don’t need this stuff in France is there a left luggage facility at the station?

oldnpastit

I once had this at Luton.

I used the multitool to unscrew itself and remove the screwdriver blades, which I handed over, and kept the hex wrench and chain breaker.

Or do as my son did and post it to yourself and have it get lost in the post.

Cougar

The times I’ve used Eurostar I’ve just been waved on through with nary a second glance. That was in the car though, and in less brexity times.

Cougar

If you don’t need this stuff in France is there a left luggage facility at the station?

Or ask nicely at the hotel where you’re presumably staying currently?

bentandbroken

Left luggage at the hotel where I am staying is an option…except I am not returning here and don’t have a ‘spare’ bag to leave behind. However, it is seriously close to the Eurostar so maybe I can leave a carrier bag with dirty clothes and my multitool behind 😀

My last two trips were out and back in a day so I just left this sort of stuff behind, but I don’t remember any airport style security….

bentandbroken

@seadog101 – A colleague had a silver cigar trimmer (family heirloom) confiscated at Heathrow 😀

zilog6128

That was in the car though

that would not be Eurostar then!

Suspect you’d be OK but never taken one through myself! Hammers, screwdrivers etc are obvious weapons whereas a folding multi-tool is not… if they let a <75mm folding blade through a small folding screwdriver should be fine?

DrJ

I travel on Eurostar quite a lot and I’d be surprised if your multitool got confiscated(*). Trying to think of anything similar I’ve carried, and I can’t but still … It’s not like an airport – you can carry liquids for example.

(* your own risk and all that )

bentandbroken

Thanks DrJ
    Thats the kind of real world experience I was hoping to get.
    If they get confiscated then fine. I am not trying to prove anything.
    I will try the ‘hotel’ first and then hope for the best.

Obviously I have taken note of the * 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

OP I think your best option is…

celticdragon

Personal experience. The uk customs didn’t bat an eyelid at mine on the way out or my co2 canisters. On the way back, Belgium customs took the co2 off me, and were actively taking any blades off people down to the smallest Swiss Army knife, despite the guides saying anything Uk EDC legal was ok (sub 3 inch non locking).

Thankful the overlooked my Leathermans or I’d have been very upset. I’ve since bought one specifically for travel with the bike that fits in my seat tube!

I’d not risk it.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Post it home ?

bentandbroken

Well, it all made it to Paris without any issues.

Tomorrow I get to see if it all goes home with me…..

Daffy

I’ve never had a problem with pocket knives on the Eurostar. I usually have one in my hold luggage for air travel and have several times returned via the Eurostar without problems.

bentandbroken

and safely back in the UK 🙂

Watty

A happy ending 👍

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Eurostar – Multitool and screwdriver allowed?’ is closed to new replies.