Viewing 40 posts - 75,401 through 75,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kimbers

It was the DUP & Tory rebels what did it today

But enough labour rebels that Johnson is set to win his vote Monday or Tuesday

BruceWee

Were there any Tory rebels?

spekkie
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that MPs have voted to make BJ ask for an extension and he is refusing to do so?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

So Perfefle is saying he won’t send the letter. What about the court case a couple of weeks ago? The one where the government gave an undertaking to follow the benn act – and therefore the judge saw no reason to continue with the case…… isn’t that pretty bad? Contempt of court?

chewkw
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that MPs have voted to make BJ ask for an extension and he is refusing to do so?

Yes, PM BoJo will refuse as he said in the Commons.

Nothing they can do about it. 😄

spekkie
    Free Member

I think if you’re prepared to lie to the Queen then you’re prepared to lie to anyone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe Barbara will have a chat with him between now and then.

dudeofdoom

Hmm Don’t forget that Suspended Court of Sessions case.

He’s playing games for the upcoming election.

So Perfefle is saying he won’t send the letter. What about the court case a couple of weeks ago? The one where the government gave an undertaking to follow the benn act – and therefore the judge saw no reason to continue with the case…… isn’t that pretty bad? Contempt of court?

Yep but it was suspended and the Judge is right to see if he complies with his undertaking

Edukator
    Free Member

Just as well I’m not running one of the the EU 27, my attitude would be to refuse an extension, let the UK crash out and then start negotiating from a position of strength. Impose a complete package of measures to suit Ireland and the rest of the EU and sit on WTO conditions with no concessions until Britain signs up to the total package.

chewkw
    Free Member

…my attitude would be to refuse an extension, let the UK crash out and then start negotiating from a position of strength.

Yes, that is much more logical instead of current impasse.

But before they start negotiation there should be a GE in the UK.

😄

dudeofdoom

Just as well I’m not running one of the the EU 27, my attitude would be to refuse an extension, let the UK crash out and then start negotiating from a position of strength. Impose

He got the deal as it was in their favour – sorts out his NI mess.

They’re already in a position of strength.

butcher

I’m also a bit confused. I’m of the understanding Boris would have to send the letter had the vote on the deal been passed. Am I right in thinking because they didn’t vote, that’s his get out clause, and why he sees no obligation of sending it?

But even if this is the case, and they vote early next week, and it passes, he still must send the letter?

Or am I way off the mark?

Edukator
    Free Member

True, dude, but the balance shifts dramitcally in the event of no deal. Once the possibility of withrawing Art. 50 goes then it’s no longer negotiation, it’s begging with zero leverage. The worst Britain can threaten at the moment is withdrawing Art. 50, if Britian has left with no deal what leverage is left – nothing.

chewkw
    Free Member

… if Britian has left with no deal what leverage is left – nothing.

Try it.

They might just have underestimated UK.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not possible to underestimate the UK, that’s what the EU has learned from the last three years. What you gonna do? Nuke us? 😉

crazy-legs

They might just have underestimated UK.

Three-and-a-half years, two extensions, seven defections, 21 deselections, three prime ministers, countless amendments, two prorogations, one Supreme Court judgement, and we’re still at square one.

And you think the UK has been “underestimated”?!
    Is this the moment when the UK finally jumps up, throws off it’s cloak of utter and complete incompetence and goes “haha, we fooled you all along!”

No, I don’t think so either.

Del

Nothing they can do about it.

On the contrary, he can be banged up for being in contempt, but you carry on in your anarchist fantasy.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s not possible to underestimate the UK, that’s what the EU has learned from the last three years. What you gonna do? Nuke us? 😉

True, true.

Or send in the EU army … 😄

On the contrary, he can be banged up for being in contempt, but you carry on in your anarchist fantasy.

PM BoJo said it in the Commons just now straight to the face of the oppositions saying he would not ask for extension.

Del

Three-and-a-half years, two extensions, seven defections, 21 deselections, three prime ministers, countless amendments, two prorogations, one Supreme Court judgement, and we’re still at square one.

And you think the UK has been “underestimated”?!
    Is this the moment when the UK finally jumps up, throws off it’s cloak of utter and complete incompetence and goes “haha, we fooled you all along!”

No, I don’t think so either.

Bravo!

Del

Get a bloody dictionary man

😆

kelvin

Laura Pidcock on C4 news. FFS.

SNP – let’s vote this week to have a referendum.

LibDem – let’s vote this week to have a referendum.

Labour – …

Del

PM BoJo said it in the Commons just now straight to the face of the oppositions saying he would not ask for extension

Fabulous, of course what’s said in parliament can’t be prosecuted, however as the law stands if he doesn’t write the letter he can be held in contempt and sent to jail. That would be truly glorious.

chewkw
    Free Member

Laura Pidcock on C4 news. FFS.

Labour – …

She was “answering” the question in a very very long winded way … what’s the question again? 😆

Fabulous, of course what’s said in parliament can’t be prosecuted, however as the law stands if he doesn’t write the letter he can be held in contempt and sent to jail. That would be truly glorious.

Both sides should try it because PM BoJo was very confident in saying NO law against that …

mefty
    Free Member

He hasn’t said he won’t send the letter

kimbers

PM BoJo said it in the Commons just now straight to the face of the oppositions saying he would not ask for extension.

Yes Boris Johnson would never lie to anyone’s face

‘there’s no press here’

chewkw
    Free Member

He hasn’t said he won’t send the letter

In that case the letter he might just say “ask for extension” then with two fingers emoji added, or he could send a letter saying that he wants more! It is still a letter 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

This is not a war, it is a policy decision on trade and international working rights.

One that is going to result in a >6% contraction in GDP. That level of economic downturn will affect EVERYTHING. Policing, education, health, infrastructure, military, EVERY GODDAMN THING.

Dazh, excuse the personal question, but do you have any kids? The main reason I am so incandescent about Brexit is that it is their future that is being sacrificed on the altar of petty nationalism. If I was childless I probably wouldn’t be so angry, I could adapt.

Public services in this country are on their knees. I wish I earned enough to send my kids to private school because some of the ‘savings initiatives’ I have seen schools launch are, frankly, pathetic. There are basically no police visible any more. A large proportion of people are openly committing dangerous criminal offenses (I am thinking most about rabbiting on the phone, hand held, whilst driving, but there are others) and they know they stand next to no chance of being caught. On the large business park that my office is on, there is a crappy carvery pub. Twice, at lunchtime on a week day, I have seen people openly dealing drugs in the car park of the pub. The pub is less than half a mile from the HQ of the County police force.

A 6% contraction in GDP is going to send this country off of the rails. It is about everything.

bails

if he doesn’t write the letter he can be held in contempt and sent to jail. That would be truly glorious.

But we’d still be out with no deal. Not so glorious.

Cougar

Dunno if it was mentioned, apologies if so, I’ve been out all day. But Letwin Amendment passed, 322-306.

pipm1
    Free Member

He didn’t say he wouldn’t send a letter, he said he wouldn’t negotiate an extension. I thought it was an odd way for him to say it but perhaps he intends to demand an unreasonably short extension which the EU won’t like, hence they don’t accept. Maybe.

MoreCashThanDash

The quote I heard was that he refused to negotiate an extension, I didn’t hear him say he wouldn’t send the letter. I may have misunderstood

dannyh
    Free Member

I would love it if Juncker did the parent ear-tugging thing when BloHard grudgingly dumps the letter on his desk.

“Now, that won’t do, will it, you naughty boy? Now, what’s the magic word? Come on, you know the magic word, don’t you? You say I would like an extension……p-l-e-a-s-e……”

Make the bastard get down on his knees and beg.

butcher

The quote I heard was that he refused to negotiate an extension, I didn’t hear him say he wouldn’t send the letter. I may have misunderstood

So the letter is just going to say?

Dear Sir.

Regards

Boris.

mefty
    Free Member

The form of the letter is prescribed in the Act, it is sent to Tusk who doesn’t have a vote – it is up to the leaders who essentially have a common interest with Boris to get the deal done therefore likely to be helpful to his cause.

kelvin

The wording of the letter is set out in the bill. He’s sure as hell making it clear to the EU in advance that he doesn’t want the extension though.

amedias
    Free Member

Wasn’t the content of the letter also defined in the benn act?

Edit – too slow, as above

dannyh
    Free Member

So the letter is just going to say?

Dear Sir.

Regards

Boris.

Don’t put it past him.

Saying something along the lines of “we hate you, you are a bunch of bumboys*, grant us an extension or we will will give you a good British style thrashing” would play rather well with the kind of dickhead that wants Brexit.

There is nothing that cockwomble Johnson won’t sink to.

*To quote Alexander Boris Picaninnies Watermelon Bumboys de Pfeffel Johnson. Man of the people himself.

Edukator
    Free Member

it is up to the leaders who essentially have a common interest with Boris to get the deal done

Or not as the case may be.

mefty
    Free Member

Or not as the case may be.

Which is just as helpful to Johnson

Viewing 40 posts - 75,401 through 75,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.